Homemade Baking Oven

This is a discussion on Homemade Baking Oven within the DIY forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I've been looking into building a homemade oven for baking a barreled action. I believe I'm going to start with a steel storage cabinet. I'm ...

Homemade Baking Oven

I've been looking into building a homemade oven for baking a barreled action. I believe I'm going to start with a steel storage cabinet. I'm going to insulate it and use some heating elements from either a couple toaster ovens or a full size oven. Whatever is sufficient.

Does anyone have experience with building one? I'm having a hard time finding what type of insulation to use. Any tips or sources? I thought about lining it with bricks but I would like it to be light enough to move around fairly easily.

Check craigs list for an industrial kitchen oven

I'm thinking an industrial grade oven will be pretty far out of my price range. All the ones I've looked at have been in the thousands. I'm looking to build one for a couple hundred bucks or less.

How many barrels do you want to coat? If its just a couple I think you are better off just sending them out and having someone do them. I don't think it has to get that hot if you are using duracoat or cerakote something like that. I read somewhere about some one making a box out of wood lining it with tin foil and then putting a 100 watt bulb inside for a heat souce then closing the lid. Sort of an "easy bake oven" for guys. If you don't plan on doing quite a few I think its all going to be more effort than its worth and it would be more cost effective to just send them off to be finished.

-Shane
    What's in a name? That which we call a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet.
    - William Shakespeare

All you need is a sheet metal box stiff enough to hold its own shape and have it insulated on the outside with some good insulation. You will also need a way to attach a resistance heater and regulate it with a thermostat of some sort. I have not built one for this purpose but that's all an oven amounts to.
    Savage 10 Precision Carbine in 308
    Millett TRS-1

Quote Originally Posted by shane4639
    How many barrels do you want to coat? If its just a couple I think you are better off just sending them out and having someone do them.
    I actually plan on doing a bunch. Maybe as a side job. I've done some Duracoating already and once I get the oven built I'm gonna try Moly Resin and whatever other bake on finishes I choose.

For those interested I found a pretty good example of what I'm wanting to build over on the Hide. Here's a link.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthr ... er=1797184

I WORK AT THE MILL WE LINE THE FURNACES WITH A REAL LIGHT HEATING BRICK YOU CAN GET THEM FROM A FEW DIFFRENT MAKERS THERE LIKE A POUND A PIECE AND THEY WILL TAKE ANY HEAT YOUR GOING TO THROW AT IT VERY LIGHT VERY DURABLE HOPE THAT HELPS

I WORK AT THE MILL WE LINE THE FURNACES WITH A REAL LIGHT HEATING BRICK YOU CAN GET THEM FROM A FEW DIFFRENT MAKERS THERE LIKE A POUND A PIECE AND THEY WILL TAKE ANY HEAT YOUR GOING TO THROW AT IT VERY LIGHT VERY DURABLE HOPE THAT HELPS

Ads