Duracoat... Recomend me an airbrush

This is a discussion on Duracoat... Recomend me an airbrush within the DIY forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I dont want to break the bank to buy a high end airbrush, but do want one that will work well. Im not planning on ...

Duracoat... Recomend me an airbrush

I dont want to break the bank to buy a high end airbrush, but do want one that will work well. Im not planning on painting alot of guns with it, just some of my own.

Also, what are you using for compressors?

I could be wrong, but doesn't duracoat have applicators (sprayer) available for purchase specifically for applying duracoat. Might want to check that out if they do.
    I can solve any problem with the application of the right amount of explosives!!

Don't buy Duracoat's applicator stuff, it's waaaaay overpriced. I'll let you in on a little secret, I have several nice fairly expensive airbrushes that I use for painting when they are called for but for day to day painting of rifles and other guns I use a $10 applicator from Harbor Freight. It's all plastic and comes with 5 or 6 cups so switching colors is quick. You can see it here: http://www.harborfreight.com/quick-c...kit-93506.html. The reason for this is Duracoat and CeraKote (air dry) get very hard when they dry and I tend to go through paint guns and air brushes pretty quickly. That wouldn't allow me to buy a piece of equipment that does substandard work, my rifles aren't cheap and they have to look right. But I've found that this little $10 thing does a pretty good job at applying Duracoat and when it gets clogged, usually after 3 or 4 rifles, I toss it and open another.

I have a 10 gallon compressor that I started with that does airbrushes and touch up guns just fine. I've moved up to a larger compressor but the little ones will do what you want. Pick one up cheap on Craig's List.

Quote Originally Posted by oneeyedmac
    Don't buy Duracoat's applicator stuff, it's waaaaay overpriced. I'll let you in on a little secret, I have several nice fairly expensive airbrushes that I use for painting when they are called for but for day to day painting of rifles and other guns I use a $10 applicator from Harbor Freight. It's all plastic and comes with 5 or 6 cups so switching colors is quick. You can see it here: http://www.harborfreight.com/quick-c...kit-93506.html. The reason for this is Duracoat and CeraKote (air dry) get very hard when they dry and I tend to go through paint guns and air brushes pretty quickly. That wouldn't allow me to buy a piece of equipment that does substandard work, my rifles aren't cheap and they have to look right. But I've found that this little $10 thing does a pretty good job at applying Duracoat and when it gets clogged, usually after 3 or 4 rifles, I toss it and open another.

I have a 10 gallon compressor that I started with that does airbrushes and touch up guns just fine. I've moved up to a larger compressor but the little ones will do what you want. Pick one up cheap on Craig's List.
    This is the answer I am looking for. Thank you sir, and waaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper than I expected. Now I am going to be able to do this alot sooner than I expected. I was thinking I was going to have to spend alot more $ on an airbrush.

Are you using an air/water separator as well?

What's the viscosity of Duracoat ? Some brushes with ultra-fine nozzles have issues
    with some types of paints being too thick to push through the nozzle.

Back in the day ( pre-digital ) when I actually used one, I had to thin the paints down
    quite a bit just to get it through the nozzle. Unless you're talking a paint gun which uses
    extremely high psi to push the paint that is

Always use a moisture trap anytime you're using an airbrush. Nothing more annoying
    than a giant blob of water spraying out in the middle of your masterpiece.

I may be wrong, but it would be something to look into for sure.
    Be polite.
    Be professional.
    But have a plan to kill everyone you meet
    as they may have a plan to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by oneeyedmac

+1 I do the same thing. I really don't feel like spending forever cleaning an airbrush when for a couple of bucks i can get a new one.
    If you can see the big picture, you are not concentrating on your front sight post.

Ads