Operation Otto - Building a WWII M1 Garand

This is a discussion on Operation Otto - Building a WWII M1 Garand within the DIY forums, part of the Sniping Related category; As the title states my goal is to build a WWII Garand. For this one I do not want the gun looking new but a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Operation Otto - Building a WWII M1 Garand

As the title states my goal is to build a WWII Garand. For this one I do not want the gun looking new but a warn look like it was actually used during that time. Not sure if I would be better off buying the whole gun or not, but where is the fun in that? So I give you Operation Otto. Otto was my great grandfather that served in the Army during WWII. He was a supply truck driver and was oversees in France, Italy, and I believe Germany as well. From the stories he told me I do not think he was actually involved in the fighting but that is beyond the point. He was partly a father to me and sadly he died a little over a year ago. In his memory I would really love to build a M1 from that era. I know you guys understand how much that gun means to me and many others. I haven't done any serious looking for parts yet but like I said the stock would definitely have to be "used". As for the machinery, WWII era parts would be best if in good condition but if they become too expensive I can go for the newer stuff. This isn't something that I need to have right now, but I want to start from scratch and work my way to the top. Any help would be appreciated.

Administrator

Re: Operation Otto - Building a WWII M1 Garand

Talk to the CMP.

http://www.thecmp.org/m1garand.htm

-Nate
    NRA Service Rifle High Master
    President's Hundred
    US Distinguished Rifleman Badge
    NRA Silhouette AA

Looks like I can join the GCA and that will satisfy the club membership requirement. Only thing I am worried about is the marksmanship requirement. I did complete hunters safety and had live fire but it wasn't exactly part of the course. It was more of a "party" for completing the course.

Administrator

Where you from in Wisconsin? I bet I can sove that eligibility problem.

-Nate
    President's Hundred
    NRA Silhouette AA

Superior. I wouldn't mind getting in a club to be honest. My friends/family do not share the same feelings towards shooting outside of hunting as I do so having someone to go shoot with would definitely make it more fun.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbuck
    Superior. I wouldn't mind getting in a club to be honest. My friends/family do not share the same feelings towards shooting outside of hunting as I do so having someone to go shoot with would definitely make it more fun.
    Cool, I understand completely. I started out as a hunter and mostly a hunting-only shooter and/or shooting to get better for hunting. I have transitioned to almost the complete opposite of that, but I tell you what....when I decide to get out, deer hunting is a breeze since I became passable at NRA Highpower.

Anyhow.

Check out Northwestern Gun Club, it should be just about 45 minutes/30 miles from you:

Northwestern Gun Club,
    East Hunter Lake Rd,
    Fredenberg Township
    Twp Road # 5557

http://www.nwgc-duluth.com/index.html

Looks to me like they haveabout everything a guy could want in a range, and 500 yard rifle to boot.

FYI: you do not need to be a member of a range or club to be CMP eligible. There are other ways to complete the marksmanship requirement...like being able to prove you compete regularly (ie: get a classification in some CMP-recognized shooting sport like Highpower).

See the following link for all the req'd "stuff" : http://www.thecmp.org/eligibility.htm

It's really not as hard as it looks, and once you have a CMP purchaser ID, you're good to go 'forever'.
    -Nate
    President's Hundred
    NRA Silhouette AA

Send in my papers to the CMP. Will hopefully here a go from them soon .

Administrator

Excellent. You may be waiting a little while for the rifle, but you won't be disappointed, and it won't be chinese.

-Nate
    President's Hundred
    NRA Silhouette AA

The wait, although it will just about kill me :lol:, I can do. I want to engrave his name and mil id on the gun somewhere. Not sure where the best place would be. Was thinking either the buttplate or the stock. This gun will be shot a few times and then set along side his flag and dog tags, which I used to wear until the chain broke.

Big I saw you did not want it looking new but Stocky Stock has a sale for thw M1 wood 1/2 price. You could destress the wood your-self and make look the way you want it to.

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/th ... 2pc/Detail
    Defendo inculpatus ... capio scelestus

(Protect the innocent .. seize the guilty)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads