Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

Camo Paint Project (pics)

5K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  devolvecc 
#1 ·
*This was my first time doing any kind of project like this so if you are on the fence about doing a project like this, just take your time and preparation is the key.

Rifle : Tikka T3 .270 WSM , Nixon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 , hariss bipod
things you need : Painter's tape, High Temp spray paint , fine sandpaper, Pine Needles

Take off ANYTHING you do not want painted . Scope, rings, bolt, etc.
Tape off ANYTHING you do not want painted. Take your time taping everything off and make sure your lines are straight . This was the most important step to me.
Take fine sandpaper and sand your synthetic stock , any other synthetic areas on your gun. * I did not sand my barrel

I did not prime my rifle, although I probably should have. This would be your first step..

Then take your Lightest coat of paint and put on your base coat. Let this coat dry fully , dont touch it dont do anything to it until it is full dry to the touch.

Then take your second lightest Paint color , take your pine needles and lay them in various positions on your rifle and spray your next coat. Your pine needles act like a stencil. It doesnt have to be perfect, It shouldnt be perfect. A weathered look is more authentic. You want a somewhat symmetric look but dont make it "perfect". Let this coat dry

Use your darkest paint for your final coat. Do the same pine needle stencil technique . Let this coat dry before handling.

I then Let it dry in my garage with fans blowing on the rifle over night. IF your rifle is still tacky, dont mess with it just let it dry completely

Finally, take your tape off , re mount your scope etc and admire your work. Take your time, use common sense .

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.