DIY R700 Barrel Install

This is a discussion on DIY R700 Barrel Install within the DIY forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I have New SPS varmint 308 barrel, 308 winchester. And i want to buy a new remington 700 action and i want to install the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DIY R700 Barrel Install

I have New SPS varmint 308 barrel, 308 winchester. And i want to buy a new remington 700 action and i want to install the barrel and headspace it.
    I know the basic equipment needed:

Torque wrench
    GO/NO Gauge
    Barrel Vise

Also i want to cut the barrel from 26 inch 90 degree remington factory crown to 24 inch with 90 degree factory crown.

Equipment needed:

Lapping compound 600 and 320 grit
    Brass ball item that makes the crown
    Hacksaw
    Barrel guide to get perfect cut in align 90 degree to bore
    File for burrs
    PTG hand reamer to radius the edges of barrel

I have a basic idea of what to do but i need advice and or instructions please and any equipment im missing. Also saw this from brownells for torgueing the action:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2656 ... ON-WRENCH#

I realise the cost of the items is around 400 dollars give or take. But to have a pro cut and crown the barrel....and just install and headspace the barrel would be i think around 400 dollars.

Any advice thank you,

Heath
    "One shot, one kill"

Re: DIY R700 Barrel Install

Also if im able to do this barrel install.....then i will attach the gun to a bench rest with some sand bags and a string to the trigger...and back up like 50 yards under cover and pull the trigger and see what happens.

Heath
    "One shot, one kill"

Well i spoke to some people about it and your right, gonna let the professionals do the work.

Heath
    "One shot, one kill"

The only way you'll be able to install a barrel yourself on your Remington 700 is with a setup such as the one that www.bergarabarrels.com sells. Its a prefit barrel that uses a jam nut to adjust headspace, a-la Savage.

...Or you could just buy a Savage :mrgreen:
    Happiness is a warm gun.

Stevens 200 6.5x47 Lapua project rifle
    6.5x55 M96 Swedish Mauser
    S&W 1500 .30-06
    Savage 64FXP
    Springfield XD45 Tactical Bi-tone

I talked to the owner of suarez tactical rifles and he was mentioning with the right tools that isnt wasnt a big deal and not too hard to do. Also saw the videos from midwayusa larry potter and i understand what to do but its the fine details that would get me but the general principle is easy.

Heath
    "One shot, one kill"

Administrator

Yeah, NS sherlock...

..ya got a Bridgeport handy?

-Nate
    NRA Service Rifle High Master
    President's Hundred
    US Distinguished Rifleman Badge
    NRA Silhouette AA

Yes, it CAN be done--but as has been mentioned before, you MUST have the proper tools.

And from your post, you show an understanding of some of the things that are involved.

You did, however, leave out a couple of things.

1. If you are going to shorten the barrel and re-install, it's best done from the CHAMBER end. Why?

2. Because you are going to have to cut and finish a new chamber ANYWAY.

3. The go and no-go gauges are the very last step prior to test firing. You must cut, re-thread and then rough chamber the barrel. The barrel shoulder and face MUST be perfectly square. The lugs MUST, when they lock into the receiver, have the proper attitude/entrance and mating surface with the chamber face. When a gunsmith trues the barrel and receiver, sets the lugs for maximum uniform contact, ensures that the firing pin is centered on the chamber; chamber centered on the leade and leade centered on the bore, this is known as "blueprinting" the rifle--removing all possible tolerances, yet ensuring butter-smooth operation.

This is why people pay top dollar for a capable riflesmith to install a barrel. They have the proper tooling and the practice to do it right the first time, and how to make it look easy. I was fortunate--my wife's late uncle was a close life-long personal friend with the man who founded Douglas Barrels, and I got a detailed tour. I saw barrels being made and installed, from start to finish--and let me tell you, Douglas turns out an excellent product.

For instance, I watched as a machinist was turning down a chambered barrel to its final contours. The lathe started, coolant flowed, and chips started coming off nicely and evenly. Something happened--I'm not sure what--and the lathe started chattering. The machinist killed the power quickly; the outside of that particular barrel looked like a beaver chewed on it for a minute or so. The machinist looked at it and shrugged--then un-chucked the barrel (which still had enough metal on it to turn to a good contour--AND PITCHED IT IN THE REJECT PILE. This pile--which was quite large--was destined to me re-smelted, repoured and re-turned to the undrilled barrel blanks (which are solid round rods of steel, about 36" long, and about 2.5" thick.).

Point is, in about five minutes, he had another barrel mounted, and had turned down a barrel flawlessly. He had the experience. I don't.

Best of luck to you in your quest for a good rifle!
    Hiding in plain sight...

personally my life is worth more then the cost a professional would charge not to mention the peace of mind of not having to worry about it

Something else I meant to add that influenced my decision recently NOT to purchase some fairly serious machine tools to do an installation....

While guys (and some girls, too!) have a serious affinity for tools, you would be purchasing some tools to be used ONCE for a one-time project. Consider the money spent, and the actual work you would be doing.
    Hiding in plain sight...

I agree with Davey D9...you screw up the head space, your gun won't shoot, or worse the results can be catastrophic.....For $400.00 you can have your barrel done by a local smith. I am sure you have some around, or it can be shipped and done. Not to sound like a jerk, but if this is a hobby, and if you do not have any machining experience, go and get the proper training, and then be an apprentice for a good smith. Just my 2 cents...
    Last edited by russ10x; 10-21-2013 at 07:33 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads