Making your own IPSC 'Classic' Targets

This is a discussion on Making your own IPSC 'Classic' Targets within the DIY forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Recently I priced 'official' cardboard IPSC Classic targets here in OZ and they worked out at $115 for 100. I like the convenience and the ...

Making your own IPSC 'Classic' Targets

Recently I priced 'official' cardboard IPSC Classic targets here in OZ and they worked out at $115 for 100. I like the convenience and the look of the commercial target but I seriously doubt I will need that many as I don't shoot often enough. I want to be able to make a few on demand only and - above all - be able to do it quickly.

One problem (for me anyway) is the comparative geometric intricacy of the concentric, stretched octagonal design of the 'Classic'. Here's my solution and method:

1. Download the dimensions from the IPSC site: http://www.ipsc.org/diagrams/IPSC_ipsctarget_1.jpg

2. Buy a sheet of corflute 600X900X3MM ($4.90 at my hardware store - I think it is called foamcore in the US). A sheet of the above dimensions will provide four targets or one template and three targets left over (enough for El Presidente! ).

3. Carefully draw the target layout on to the corflute sheet using a permanent marker.

4. Cut out the centre 'coffin' from the target.

5. Cut out the inner octagon (which surrounds the 'coffin' centre).

6. Trace the target and its internals on to the background medium of your choice: a sheet of old cardboard box or plain paper or whatever ('Good fences make good neighbours,' as the poet said - so whatever happens, don't put it there! :twisted.

For me, the corflute itself is not significantly more expensive than the commercially made target but your prices in the US may be more competitive.

7. If you wish, you can use the templates for stencil work and spray the inner octagons with the colours of your choice.

My thanks to 'TheLateBoyScout' for his suggestions on a home-made IPSC metric target which I found very helpful indeed. He is a first class instructor. Also, see his vid on a DIY target stand to put your IPSC target on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c_eA_oM_PY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCWil5yGZzk
    'And then it was that I could see the power of God helped men if they would only trust Him."
    (Sergeant Alvin C. York)

Re: Making your own IPSC 'Classic' Targets

Warren Tactical makes a paper target that is just the A/B/C zones of the USPSA metric target also a similar IDPA target. You can also find full size paper targets at a couple different places.

As a USPSA match director, I buy cardboard targets in bulk (the postman hates me) and my favorite source is Shooters Connection. You might want to check with them.

As to the stand, I've seen a similar design before and they are clever. The key, as he points out, is to not glue them so that they are easily transported. We make our own out of 2x3's (in an 'H' shape) because we need something slightly heavier, but for the field, this is a good solution.

As to the homemade targets, IPSC and IDPA targets use perforations to delineate the scoring areas rather than lines that are visible at distance. The main problem with using targets with clearly delineated shooting areas is that they tend to condition you to focus on those areas rather than focusing on the target as a whole and shooting for the center of mass.

Lastly, as you noted, the targets you made are now called "Classic" targets, despite being the newer of the two. The original targets are now called "Metric" which is ironic considering that they are mainly used in the US and both targets official measurements are in CM rather than IN.

In any case, thanks for the links. This guy has some interesting stuff.
    Graham Smith, SFC, US Army (Ret)
    "There's no right way to do the wrong thing."

Thanks for the info on the targets and suppliers. I'll check them out - particularly the paper ones! The postman may hate you, but at least you will get your bulk order at the local rates. I ordered some very thin cardboard targets from the US quite recently and the postage cost was well in excess of the cost of the targets. It was okay because I was particularly interested in getting a few samples anyway, but at the cost of postage, a regular supply would be out of the question. I sent a little souvenir to an acquaintance in the States a few months ago, and it was the same story: the stamps were worth more than the gift :shock:

As for 'TheLateBoyScout' on youtube, he really does a very professional presentation, I reckon. Glad you found his stuff interesting - I certainly did. I like the enthusiasm in the delivery too. Good motivation!

Thanks again for the feedback re IPSC targets. I appreciate it.
    'And then it was that I could see the power of God helped men if they would only trust Him."
    (Sergeant Alvin C. York)

Quote Originally Posted by Davy
    The postman may hate you, but at least you will get your bulk order at the local rates.
    Didn't notice where you were. Yes, the postage from the US would be a bit prohibitive. There are IPSC clubs in Australia, you might want to contact them for local sources. You might even be able to buy a few targets from them.

You'll find that one of the largest concentrations of USPSA and IPSC shooters on the net can be found here: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/. You might go there and ask around. You never know who'll you run into.
    Graham Smith, SFC, US Army (Ret)
    "There's no right way to do the wrong thing."

!

Thanks again. Big chore day to day but I'll check out all those sources you referred to. I did some IPSC many years ago but got a bit soured off and drifted away. It might be time to think about taking it up again. I find people like Todd Jarret and others to be great ambassadors and motivators for the sport (just encountered him for the first time on youtube while doing a little research). Already I have learned, thanks to him, why my groups are frequently low and to the left (and it ain't the sights! :lol. Now the challenge is to retrain myself to do it right. Better late than never, though. Can't wait to give the new techniques a try.

Regards and good shootin'

Davy

Post Script!

Instead of getting down to the work I checked out the Brian Enos forum (just a quick preview). Looks really interesting! Found this match which uses an outdoor toilet! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIQ_cU7Cr2Y

There's a lesson there for all of us: never disturb the peace of the privy!
    (Sergeant Alvin C. York)

Ads