Jewell triggers

This is a discussion on Jewell triggers within the DIY forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Just bought a Jewell trigger early this morning from Midway (today is pay day!). Checking my wish list an hour or two later, got an ...

Thread: Jewell triggers

Jewell triggers

Just bought a Jewell trigger early this morning from Midway (today is pay day!). Checking my wish list an hour or two later, got an update that Jewell triggers were out of stock. Checked my order status, and I do have one coming, must have bought their last one. Along with the scope coming in this order, current project rifle will be complete! (right......are they ever "complete"?)
    It takes 47 muscles to scowl, and only 17 to smile. Proper trigger squeeze takes 3. Relax, and go with it.

Administrator
    I'm happy you have your trigger coming, but I wish you'd bought from a smaller retailer.

Don't misinterpret: I REALLY support Larry and Midway's mission, and I continue to enjoy doing business with them on a regular basis.

That said though, if I can get a better price somewhere else, and support a "small shop" like Larry Scott in Cadiz, Kentucky, I will always do so in favor of Midway, Brownells, Natchez, Midsouth, and on and on down the list of BIG shops.

That was always a reason, for me personally, to buy products from Sinclair. Though they produced "big shop" volume--and to some extent price--they maintained small shop quality and relationships. This, at least while they were still in Fort Wayne (I have no complaints now, but they certainly aren't any cheaper now that they are with the big B...)

-Nate
    NRA Service Rifle High Master
    President's Hundred
    US Distinguished Rifleman Badge
    NRA Silhouette AA

I was thinking about ordering it from Great Scott and saving $30, but I already had a fairly large order in my shopping cart at Midway. I get wired waiting for packages to arrive, so try to combine whenever possible. BTW, I never knew Sinclair used to be a separate company from Brownells, thought Brownells started it as a division of the main company.

LOL! And I do support all the local gun shops, but the Feds won't let me claim them on my income tax. For anything I can't get locally, I usually stick with Midway or Brownells. About the only thing I don't regularly mail order is rifles, powder, bullets, and primers. Just picked up a Rem 700 long action ADL in 30-06 for my next builder, haven't decided yet whether I'm keeping it 30-06 or changing to 300WM, but it will be a Krieger barrel regardless (a little heavier than the pencil sized barrel on it now). The smith where I bought it said he would charge me $170 for threading, chambering, installing, and crowning. Can't argue with that!
    Last edited by desert ghost; 04-12-2013 at 09:04 AM.
    It takes 47 muscles to scowl, and only 17 to smile. Proper trigger squeeze takes 3. Relax, and go with it.

Whoa! Installed the Jewell a few days ago and did the initial setup, but didn't mess with it after that. This morning, I made up a couple snap caps in. 308 and 30-06. Opened the blinds, dialed the scope up to 15X, and set the rifle up on bipod and rear bag on my kitchen table. Focused on the crotch of a couple twigs on a tree across the street, and practiced the trigger squeeze. Talk about a major difference! Scope did not twitch off the twig crotch. I don't have a trigger pull scale, but the trigger can't be more than a few ounces. If you didn't hear the pin fall, you wouldn't know you had fired.
    When I was doing the setup, I actually had the problem of not being able to cock it, the pin would fall as the bolt was closing. I had to increase the sear engagement and trigger pull weight just so I could cock it.
    My only other dislike was the sharp edge of the trigger shoe. Not a burr or anything, but not much of a radius either. Took a flexible shaft and a cratex point and eased the edge a wee bit, much more comfortable to the finger now.
    Gotta start saving my pennies now, think a few more of my rifles need a trigger upgrade!

keep in mind that changing a 30-06 to 300 wm will require a bolt change.

I ordered my first jewel from great scott and he is great to deal with. The second time I ordered one (a few months ago) he was out of stock on almost everything or I would have ordered another from him. ended up going with bruno's.

I didn't feel the need to soften the edge of the trigger. the pull weight is so light that it was not uncomfortable to me. mine is sitting at about 12oz's.
    Rem 700 sps-v .308 in AICS
    Thunderbeast 30P-1
    Waiting on Tac-Ops to be built
    NRA Life-Member

I strongly dislike jewel triggers in field rifles. I used them years ago and more than once hand them get dirty and refuse to function.

Secondly, the narrow trigger shoe can be difficult to feel with gloves on.

Thirdly, never will one of my rifles wear a trigger with a pull weight less than 2lbs. Again, gloves... or cold fingers, make it impossible to reliably engage a lighter pull weight.

Granted these are just my own personal experiences, as it pertains to running a rifle in south dakota... where it goes from -40 and blowing snow, to 110 and 100% humidity. There's a blizzard outside right now actually.

Triple D, this is on my. 308. I just picked up the 30-06 the other day, and it is still a stone stock ADL. I am going to change out the barrel, but I might leave it 30-06, I have issues with belted mag cases.
    Got a shooting buddy with a trigger scale, need to borrow it and find out what this thing is set at. Did not change to one of the lighter springs.
    Orkan, this is a bench rifle. I also live in Tucson, so cold or gloves is not really a factor. I used to live in northern Minnesota, so I do know what that is like. Loved it when I was there, but I'm pretty certain I'll never move back!
    Last edited by desert ghost; 04-22-2013 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by desert ghost View Post
    Orkan, this is a bench rifle. I also live in Tucson, so cold or gloves is not really a factor. I used to live in northern Minnesota, so I do know what that is like. Loved it when I was there, but I'm pretty certain I'll never move back!
    Bench gun = Jewel. I am with you 100%. Don't know why I assumed this was a field rifle. *pound forehead*

And I have a Jewel in my field rifle, oh no! Again, it's in my rifle and not yours so....? to each there own...and again, I luv my Jewels in my field gun,which I use on the bench every now and then also. We have different intended uses so what works for me may not work for you...thanks for the insight, I won't try my jewel rifles in freezing cold k Orkan

~Reagan
    Last edited by Widowmaker0001; 04-23-2013 at 02:32 AM.
    "There is a very thin line between being Brave and being Stupid.",~R.Reagan

Ads