homemade rifle rest (wood)

This is a discussion on homemade rifle rest (wood) within the DIY forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I was wondering if anyone here has ever made a rifle rest out of wood (or a combination of wood/metal)? I realize that this is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

homemade rifle rest (wood)

I was wondering if anyone here has ever made a rifle rest out of wood (or a combination of wood/metal)? I realize that this is a sniper forum and that a sniper's rifle deserves the highest level of equipment, but I'm just looking for some "down-and-dirty" plans (w/ dimensions) for a easy to build wood and/or wood/metal rifle rest. I'm wanting to build something similar to:

http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products/sh ... _rest.html

http://glarp.atk.com/2005_images/LE_200 ... 20Rest.htm

http://www.mosquitocreekoutdoors.com/cg ... ?E+scstore

I think you get the idea, but out of wood (since I don't have metal cutting or welding capabilities). I'd like for it to be adjustable as well.

I know I could just go out and buy one of my examples, but I want this to be a DIY project, because I just *want* to see if I can make something like this. Call it a "personal challenge."

If anyone has ever seen plans (drawings) for one of these rifle rests, especially with dimensions of them, I'd appreciate a link or reference. I just want to make my rest the "correct" way so as to provide enough adjustability to accomodate almost any rifle.

Thanks for your input!
    Dave
    Co-Founder & Moderator
    Delaware Open Carry

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting200 ... /index.asp

there that should help maybe add some legs running perpendicular to it to keep it balanced
    BAKER

Hmmm... that's a good start, especially w/ some dimensions. Thank you for the link.

I'll certainly be adding to it though. I believe that "adjustability" is a necessity.
    Dave
    Co-Founder & Moderator
    Delaware Open Carry

UPDATE

Well, after looking at some rifle rests online, getting standard rifle dimensions from members on gun forums, much contemplation, and some detailed CAD work, I had come up with a semi-decent rifle rest design, which I built this past weekend.

It's not totally finished (I still need rubber feet, and some padding for the cradle, and a front sandbag/front cradle), but it's maybe 95% complete.

I ended up making it from 1x3 maple wood and necessary hardware from Home Depot, as well as a new scissor jack (from a salvage yard). It'll accomodate any rifle (or at least I'm hoping it will), with plenty of room between the rifle and rest for a large magazine. The scissor jack allows for elevation adjustment. The front "feet" are adjustable to provide levelling on an uneven surface.

We'll see what the verdict is on the 26th, when I'll be taking it to the RallyPoint Shoot in Langhorne, PA.

I'll post pictures once it's 100% complete, if anyone is interested.

Thanks for the help gtrmn768.
    Dave
    Co-Founder & Moderator
    Delaware Open Carry

Yep be sure to post pics!
    British Army 1997 - 2003

thats rad! get some pics up im kinda curious to see what you came up with. i made one awhile back looks like junk but it functional ( it was made in 20min. outa scrap metal)

:shock: Wow, 20 minutes???

Mine took me about 8 hours to assemble. :?

I guess part of that is drilling pilot holes for the screws, and double-checking measurements, and doing a little design on-the-fly, and me being a stickler when it comes to any project I do myself.

I'll post pictures soon, probably this weekend, whether it's 100% complete or not.
    Dave
    Co-Founder & Moderator
    Delaware Open Carry

it was REALY ugly i welded scrap together and used a nut & bolt(1/2x6in.) to make it adjustable then padded the thing with t-shirt scraps and duct tape. i like to MacGyver things :wink:

it looks kinda like a led sled... ...kinda?..

UPDATE w/ pictures

Well, here are a few pictures of my first gun-related DIY project: my homemade rifle rest. It's made out of 1x3 maple wood (held together with 1-5/8" drywall screws), 5/16" and 3/8" hardware (bolts, washers, and wingnuts), and a scissor jack. All the parts were bought at Home Depot, except for the jack, which was found new at a local salvage yard.

I did a lot of research on the Internet looking at rifle rests that are available commercially, and also asked gun forum members for some standard dimensions of their rifles. Then I took my ideas and dumped them into AutoCAD and further designed and refined the rifle rest, adding a few "details" that would improve on a basic rest: an adjustable front elevation (via the scissor jack), removable front cradle (for future interchangeable front cradle options), and adjustable "feet" (in case the surface was uneven). I had decided to use maple wood for its beauty and seemingly better strength (compared to the other 1x3 wood that was available). The rear cradle may seem to be kind of high off of the base, but I was trying to provide enough clearance in case a large magazine was being used.

It's not quite finished yet, but it is mostly (I'd say about 95%). It still needs either a front wooden cradle or an attachable sandbag, padding inside the rear cradle, and some sort of rubberized feet covers (to prevent scratching and slipping). And, of course, some sort of wood sealer to protect it from the elements.

So, without further delay, here are some pictures of it, as it stands right now:

1. Here's an overall view of it:

2. And a side view:

3. And the rear view:

4. And a view fron the middle front through to the rear:

5. Rear Cradle Detail:

6. Front Connection Detail:

7. Front Adjustable Foot Detail:

Well, that's it for now. I'm obviously no woodworking expert (nor do I have a high-tech set-up or fancy tools), so don't laugh at my craftsmanship too much. We'll see how functional it is this coming Saturday, when I take it to the RallyPoint meet in Langhorn, PA, where it will (hopefully) be tested by a few different people. I already have a few ideas of improvement for the next rifle rest, if the outcome from this Saturday is a positive one. I can't wait to find out if it's functional and worth the time/effort/money that was invested.

I would appreciate (and welcome) any comments/questions you may have. Thanks everyone for taking the time to read this thread.
    Dave
    Co-Founder & Moderator
    Delaware Open Carry

:shock: Wow! Looks pretty good. I like doing things like that, building things instead of buying them. Its fun, and gives you the satisfaction of saying "yea, I built that". And, if it ever tears up, or needs improving in design, then you get the fun of fixing it/ remodeling it. It looks to me that you did a great job! Have fun with it. Also, please post a pic of the final product when you get completely done and satisfied with it.
    Boonedock

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads