Parkerizing at home

This is a discussion on Parkerizing at home within the DIY forums, part of the Sniping Related category; A freind gave me a large sheet of stainless steel. I thought to myself, what the heck am I going to do with this sheet ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Parkerizing at home

A freind gave me a large sheet of stainless steel. I thought to myself, what the heck am I going to do with this sheet of stainless?I suddenly remembered an article in the Shotgun News about parkerizing at home.The only thing I lacked to parkerize was a stainless tub long enough to put a barreled action in.This sheet is about 4'x4'. Plenty long enough to put about any barreled action I want in.Before I get all the stuff to do this, I thought I'd see if anyone on SC has ever attempted to parkerize something and if they had good results.

Jeff
    Jeff passed away on July 17th, 2009, he will be GREATLY missed by everyone here at Sniper Central. Video Thread

" We cannot direct the wind,but we can adjust the sails." -Bertha Calloway

www.second-amendment.org

I do all of my own parking at home with super results
    I use the kitchen gas stove

It works well if you have all the stuff to do the prep right. To do it right requires a good blasting setup. The key to this like any metal treatmetn is the prep. Get a good blasted surface, and then degrease until you think its all clean then do it two more times. Place it in the solution heated to about 180 degrees, but no more than 200 MAX. treat about 20 minutes then rinse it, then oil bath it, and its done. Doing it at home is better for smaller parts, as long burners are required to get good even heat, that will warm about 4-5 gallons of water to 180 and keep it there.
    ML313 Founder LOSOK Custom Arms LLC

www.losokcustomarms.com

Know your enemy and yourself, and you need not fear the outcome of a hundred battles-SunTzu

Practice does not make perfect, PERFECT PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT-OSP Drill Instructor

Well, I do own a autobody shop. I've already got most of the stuff, including two sand blasters,one a hand held and the other a hundred pounder.I've never used a metal coating like zinc or phosphate.The article in the shotgun news seemed pretty comprehensive, but it's always best to get the opinions of people who've tried it before I buy a lot of materials. Thanks for the responses.

Jeff
    Jeff passed away on July 17th, 2009, he will be GREATLY missed by everyone here at Sniper Central. Video Thread

www.second-amendment.org

After a long hiatus, I'm back. I don't know why, but nonetheless I'm here.

Anyhow, here's what to do:

1. Go to Lowes and look about for tile cleaner. The right product contains phosphoric acid. You may have to give your eyes a chance for a minute or two, but it is there.

2. Go to your local pottery store and buy some manganese dioxide. You don't need very much, maybe only an ounce or so. Or you can get hold of a few dead alkaline batteries. Cut the batteries open and gather up the black powder contained therein. This stuff is manganese dioxide.

3. Go to Walmart and buy some distilled water. Add the phosphoric acid to the water. ( Always add acid. Never aid water to acid; you can have dangerous spills this way ) You need a ratio of 1 part of acid to 20 parts of water.

4. Heat the water/acid mixture up to between 180 and 200 degrees F. Dissolve one or two biscuits of steel wool into the acid soup. Make sure that your steel wool biscuit is thoroughly degreased. Boil the steel wool biscuits repeatedly in a solution of tri-sodium phosphate. ( TSP is available from your local paint store)

5. Dissolve the manganese dioxide in your acid soup. Then place your parts into the soup. The soup is contained within a stainless steel vessel. Of course your parts are thoroughly degreased. If the parts are not properly degreased, your parkerizing will look awful.

6. Let the parts sit in the solution for about 5 to 10 minutes at between 180 and 200 degrees.

7. Take some cosmoline ( available from Brownells) and heat it up in your microwave. Mix the hot liquid cosmoline with some old diesel oil or other drained crankcase oil. Heat the resulting mixture and dunk your freshly parkerized part into this greasy mix. Doing so will give your parkerizing the charming greenish hue often found on old WWII weapons.

8. Let the parts sit in the cosmoline/oil mix for about ten or fifteen minutes. Then degrease the parts and then oil them down with gun oil.

Just listen to me and don't me a schmo. And remember, you can buy commercial parkerizing solutions from Brownells and Palmetto Armoury. But it is more fun to experiment yourself. So don't be a schmo--just listen to me.

The cosmoline/oil trick really works. Give it a try.

Fluffy.
    I'm a genius. And you are not.

That fills in a lot of the gaps I had.I'm gonna weld up this sheet steel and build my vat.Thanks for the info on the materials & procedure ,folks.I'ts gonna help greatly.

FM, is the FN49 on the gallery thread I made an example of your park job?It looks great!

Jeff

www.second-amendment.org

-snowy
    "Veritas Lux Mea"

Certified Super Civvie

thanks Bro not sure why it was not working

The Mausers look really nice! I guess that clinches it for me,FM. I'll weld up this sheet steel I've got and mount it on an old gas stove I've got.Thanks for the Pics and Info, guys.

Jeff

www.second-amendment.org

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads