Ranges near Jacksonville, FL

This is a discussion on Ranges near Jacksonville, FL within the Eastern forums, part of the Competitions and Training Opportunities category; All: I have two quick questions. 1. does anyone know of a range within 1-2 hour of Jacksonville that has rifle ranges that extend out ...

Ranges near Jacksonville, FL

All:

I have two quick questions.

1. does anyone know of a range within 1-2 hour of Jacksonville that has rifle ranges that extend out past 200 yds? I am a member of Gateway Rifle and Pistol (good club btw) but their longest range is 200yds. The only condition is that I do not want to join another range to use the 'longer' rifle ranges. Daily range usage fees would be ok, but I don't want to 'join'.

2. I have been shooting pistol for while now (years) and am starting to get involved in 'long range' rifle shooting. The question is this, I've shot competition class air rifles rather well in the past (~7 years ago) and other that plinking with an old .22LR when I go to the range, have almost zero current conditioning / skills. Assuming that I am new to the .308 WIN and invest a weekly trip to the range for practice / training, how long would an average shooter take before they will feel the urge to push out past 200yrds? (to experience more severe windage and bullet drop)? I know that this is not a fair question (no easy or exact answers) but maybe your personal experiences could help.

Thanks in advance,
    Brian (New SC forums member)

wallacebw,

I have not personally been to this range, but they have a 300 and 600 yard range that is open to the public without requring a membership.

http://www.bsfshootingsports.com/Home/

I hope that helps...

UPDATE!

Bradford Sportsmen's Farm has moved and has a 600 yard range!
    Kurt
    Guns Don't Kill People, Drivers On Cell Phones Kill People!

Bradford now has an 800 yd range
    John McCullough, CRPC

I'm in Jax and would also like to meet up with some more experienced shooters in Bradford. I am just about done with my rifle for the time being and will be ready to shoot before too long. I have quite a bit of experience with AR type rifles and pistols, but never really shot with a scoped rifle much and would like to add that to my skill set.

Bradfords range is actually 855 yards to the berm. It has 15 concrete benches and a grassy area to shoot prone on. You must qualify with Rick inorder to shoot the long range, it will cost you 25$. Once you are qualified it will cost you 20$ for the 1st hour to shoot and 10$ for every extra hour you would like to shoot. The range is very nice but the prices are kinda high but I only shoot there 2 times a month. Hope this helps.
    I just sold you for a cigarette and dont even smoke. The Monarch

Re:

I thought the charge was $20 to qualify.

For the first hour, they actually allow 2 hours (allowing Setup and take-down time)

The 850 range is great. You need to bring your own targets. But its a comfy set up.

Quote Originally Posted by jac74
    Bradfords range is actually 855 yards to the berm. It has 15 concrete benches and a grassy area to shoot prone on. You must qualify with Rick inorder to shoot the long range, it will cost you 25$. Once you are qualified it will cost you 20$ for the 1st hour to shoot and 10$ for every extra hour you would like to shoot. The range is very nice but the prices are kinda high but I only shoot there 2 times a month. Hope this helps.

Bradford Farms is OK. I have tried in vain to get them to consider putting in Cantilever target frames. They do not understand the immediate feedback of target pits and someone pulling for you. Too bad for them. The membership rules change every year. Contact Bill Walter out at Eglin AFB for info on their matches. The AIM Range in Blakely is very good and a short drive. Ft Benning has a 600 yd and 1,000 yd range and holds regular matches. 5 hours from Jax. Port Malabar R&P Club is a very nice facility near Melbourne, FL with 600 yd line and pits. Okeechobee has a nice 600 yd range. It has a 1,000 yd line but local mobile homes are too close and do not like the sound of "freedom" at 8:00 AM on sunday mornings I guess. it is 5 hours away. Manatee County Gun Range is in Myakka City FL East of Tampa and has 200-1,000 yds (walk and paste) and is a daily type facility and County Range. Fort Gordon, GA (near Augusta) shoots 600 and 1,000 yd matches regularly. 3.5 hours away, Cool Acres in Swainsboro, GA has a new facility wih 1,000 yd line and concrete benches, etc. Nice folks and will let you camp overnight or rent their lodge for a group. (I think me and my wife will do a honeymoon there sometime- How 'bout it Eric?) Camp Blanding shot matches for many years under the Forida Highpower Assn and later the Florida Sport Shooting Assn. They just got greedy and demanding. it has a 50 point range and 35 point range both at 600 yds and good pits and cantilever frames.

Lots of shooting opportunities at lots of places. At this point in life you should only spend money on gas and gun powder.
    SF-Guy
    "Will"
    Jacksonville, FL USA and Illocos sur, Philippines
    NRA HM, LR HM, USAS Coach
    18Z,18F,18B USA SF
    8541,8654,0321,0369 USMC
    (ret)

Ads