Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1000 yard rig

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Orkan 
#1 ·
Hello to all. I am new to the forum and am in search of some knowledge and wisdom. Also I am trying to learn how to get around the forum itself. Okay to the point.... I have an AR30 in 300 Win Mag(original not the A1) topped with a Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x40. I do handload and have gotten my groups down to .28" 5 shot groups at 100 yards. I am shooting 168 smks at 3228fps. My goal is to eventually shoot in some matches. Is the rig I have anything close to being what it takes to be competitive in 1000 yrd matches? I realize a heavier bullet would be better at longer distances but I cannot get anything heavier to hold groups like the 168s. Not too worried about that I just have not really put much effort in trying to develop a heavier load. I have about 2000 168smks laying around and would like to use them. Thanks

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum.

You will need to start talking about specifics if you want your questions adequately answered.

First, 168SMK's can make it to 1000yds and do so with authority. Launch velocity plays a huge part in how a bullet behaves at distance. Typically, those bullets are used in 308win, and typically won't make the trip well at sea level. Go up in the mountains, and all of a sudden that same rifle can run those bullets out to 1100yds or better. Go shoot them at 1000yds, and see how they perform. They likely won't excel in the wind compared to some of the heavies, but they'll likely make the trip.

When you say you can't get anything heavier to hold groups... what bullets have you tried, and what powders are you using?

#3 ·
^I agree with him. Just try it out. And you said you can't get heavier bullets to group.....i use 190grain VLDs in my .300 win mag, they group excellent, just work the the load around till she fits. I know some guys that have excellent success with 208grain A-MAXs and 210grain VLDs.

#4 · (Edited)
Thank you for your responses.
Specifics... I guess the question I was looking to get answered was if my rifle/scope/ and current load is something that can be considered "Match" quality? Something I can be competitive with? Or would I be better suited in investing in a better rifle/scope?
I Have gotten heavier bullets to group just not as good as the 168s. I really stopped trying to work up heavy loads when I got good results from the 168s. Certainly not a finished project. I have a bunch of 200gr sierra Gamekings and tons of RL 22 and 25 to play with.

#5 ·
What I'll say is that the AR platform (either one) is very hard to get to shoot under 1/2 MOA typically.

You will likely find that the rifle will not show the same groups at range as it is at 100 yards, but if you do, don't change ANYTHING about your load.

A 1/4 MOA rifle at 1,000 yards is a rare beast.

All that said, even in .300, wind at 1,000 will make or break your "competitiveness" more than anything else.

-Nate

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.