Remington 700 .308 bolt assembly/bolt plug wear

This is a discussion on Remington 700 .308 bolt assembly/bolt plug wear within the Gunsmithing forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I have a Remington 700P in .308 with less than 2000 rounds through it. The bolt feels a little "notchy" when opening and closing. If ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Rhyno430

Thread: Remington 700 .308 bolt assembly/bolt plug wear

I have a Remington 700P in .308 with less than 2000 rounds through it. The bolt feels a little "notchy" when opening and closing. If I push forward on the bolt when closing it is much better. I took apart the bolt and believe I found the cause. Now I am in need of repair suggestions. The cause is what appears to be an abnormal wear pattern between the bolt plug and the bolt assembly. The photo below is of the bolt assembly where the plug rides. Not only does the plus not contact all of the assembly as seen by the witness mark, but the wear actually has a waviness to it. It believe the plug riding in and out of these depressions is causing the notchy feel.

image.jpg

Anybody run into this before? Suggestions to correct?

Slow, meticulous, and cautious application of a very fine and properly contoured hand file is the best way to go about smoothing that out. Then finish up with progressively finer grits of sandpaper. You don't want to "change" things, but just clean it up. It will take a remarkable amount of time, and patience is a virtue.

Were it me, I'd have a gunsmith fit a PTG one-piece bolt in its place, and drive on.

Orkan,

Thank you for the quick reply. That was my thought on both counts. My concerns were several:

1. Filing and polishing will not address why it happened in the first place. Will it recurr?

2. I have just started my winter league and don't know any qualified gunsmiths. I am leery about just putting my gun in a box and shipping it off to some internet schmo who claims to be an expert. If I have that done, might as well get the action trued at the same time!

Recommend a 'smith? References?

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Call SAC they do great work.

1) It didn't "get" that way... it started out that way. Poor machining from big green.

2) TS Customs in Miller, SD. World class smith. Travis Stevens - (605) 870-1567

Thanks guys.

Orkan, thanks for the update. Geez, Remington is really starting to disappoint these days. They killed Marlin, now they are working on euthanizing themselves.

When you only look to make a profit that's what happens.
    exsimguy1 and Arkansas89 like this.
    Joseph "Rhyno"

Cleaned it up with 400/600/800 grit paper. Wow is that MIM casting ever soft!

image.jpg

Thanks Orkan.

No prob. Keep that area WELL lubricated with a good grease and you should be fine going forward.

Ads