Is my gunsmith right? Bedding action in a magpul hunter stock?

This is a discussion on Is my gunsmith right? Bedding action in a magpul hunter stock? within the Gunsmithing forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I am working on my new Remington 700 7mm rem mag la build and i took it to my gunsmith and he told me i ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Is my gunsmith right? Bedding action in a magpul hunter stock?

I am working on my new Remington 700 7mm rem mag la build and i took it to my gunsmith and he told me i need to bed he action. But i have a magpul 700 hunter stock. It has an aluminum bedding block in there and fits pretty damn snug. Can this be done in this stock? I say "my" gunsmith but i have only used him a few times. I know he was a gunsmith in the military and after getting out just started his on shop. Other than that i do not know his abilities or knowledge
    Attached Images Attached Images

Unless there is a problem related to being I would leave it alone. If your trying to correct something that can be related to a bedding problem I pretty sure it could be skim bedded.

Cliffy

Bedding will not hurt and likely will help. Thing is...your rifle will probably need 5-8 shots to settle into the stock each time after it has been removed from the stock. At least that is how my aics was. A good skim bedding will fix that.
    Desert Tech SRS A1 with TS Customs 308 barrel
    Primal Rights 40x .22LR Repeater
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ddd oo7 View Post
    Bedding will not hurt and likely will help. Thing is...your rifle will probably need 5-8 shots to settle into the stock each time after it has been removed from the stock. At least that is how my aics was. A good skim bedding will fix that.
    Dead on.
    I redefined trust between my wife and I. Bought her a gun, hand loaded ammo for it, showed her how to shoot it, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

-Chris

Hidden Content Originally Posted by sns2 Hidden Content
    I got my gun today. Went to the range. You guys weren't kidding. Even off a rest it seemed to be touching the barrel. What an utter piece of s*** that Hogue stock is.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalFocus View Post
    Dead on.
    Unless one removes their action from the stock a lot, why bother? Shoot the 5-8 shots and keep on going. Chances are the rifle will display the same characteristics after a good "down to bare metal" barrel cleaning as well.

Look at the practice of bedding just because everyone thinks it should be done on these aluminum action blocks to be just like grabbing the salt shaker before you have even tasted the food on your plate.

Once an action has settled into the aluminum action block by wearing down the irregulaities from machining, there really is nothing to be gained. On a couple of aluminum block equipped stocks I used some Prussian Blue and a scraper to make sure the action fit with 100% contact along the points on the block that are designed to support it. Rifles shot great from the first time the action was torqued in. Just a matter of scraping off the high spots (and extra plastic flashing that hangs over the edges) as the bluing indicates. A little time consuming but also no need to use parting agent, putty, or clean up excess epoxy.

Bedding may not help...but it sure is not going to hurt if it is done right. Lack of full bedding has also been known to cause the cold bore to walk. Is it absolutely necessary...not necessarily...but if done right it won't hurt and it might help.
    Desert Tech SRS A1 with TS Customs 308 barrel
    Primal Rights 40x .22LR Repeater
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

Bedding may not help...but it sure is not going to hurt if it is done right. Lack of full bedding has also been known to cause the cold bore to walk. Is it absolutely necessary...not necessarily...but if done right it won't hurt and it might help.
    Two key points. "If done right" and "might help". In many cases, not being done right can actually do more harm than good.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by deadshot2 View Post
    Two key points. "If done right" and "might help". In many cases, not being done right can actually do more harm than good.
    Absolutely. AND, if the gunsmith helps the bedding compound adhere by excoriating the surface of the V-block, but the beeding doesn't work appropriately, you

are

hosed.

(new stock)

-Nate
    NRA Service Rifle High Master
    President's Hundred
    US Distinguished Rifleman Badge
    NRA Silhouette AA

Am i wrong in thinking the recoil lug could still stand to be bedded in that stock?

Quote Originally Posted by infidel305 View Post
    Am i wrong in thinking the recoil lug could still stand to be bedded in that stock?
    I don't think your wrong.
    I redefined trust between my wife and I. Bought her a gun, hand loaded ammo for it, showed her how to shoot it, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

-Chris

Hidden Content Originally Posted by sns2 Hidden Content
    I got my gun today. Went to the range. You guys weren't kidding. Even off a rest it seemed to be touching the barrel. What an utter piece of s*** that Hogue stock is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads