Kingsford Lighter fluid for rifle cleaner?

This is a discussion on Kingsford Lighter fluid for rifle cleaner? within the Misc. forums, part of the Sniping Related category; So while being disappointed to not get to shoot this morning I witnessed a gentleman cleaning his leveraction rifle at the range using Kingsford light ...

Kingsford Lighter fluid for rifle cleaner?

So while being disappointed to not get to shoot this morning I witnessed a gentleman cleaning his leveraction rifle at the range using Kingsford light fluid for a solvent. Anyone heard a this? He claimed it worked great, better then them little bottle of cleaner. 10X the amount for the same money. He claimed he'd been doing it for 20 years this way. just set the firearm out and let it dry all the excess off in the sun after your done cleaning it

I would think that this would be a invitation for problems, with a firearm.
    i.e. ignition and fire if it isn't all cleaned out.
    I've used light fluid for cleaning of glue and paint be never thought of it for a rifle cleaner.

I'm thinking Kingsford is a "heavy Naptha" solvent..

Naptha is the bomb when it comes to cleaning / releasing adhesive goo from stickers.

That said, naptha works well as a solvent. It's just NOT my first choice - but then I'm a "Militech1" fan and use it along with CLP Breakfree.
    Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason...

Quote Originally Posted by Slick
    I'm thinking Kingsford is a "heavy Naptha" solvent..

Naptha is the bomb when it comes to cleaning / releasing adhesive goo from stickers.

That said, naptha works well as a solvent. It's just NOT my first choice - but then I'm a "Militech1" fan and use it along with CLP Breakfree.
    Are you sure Kingsford is Naptha based? I know Naptha makes Kerosene seem like water when it comes to flamability. However, Im sure the stuff would remove any petroleum based goop left behind from other solvents, or for removing cosmoline packing grease.
    Professionals that demand nothing less than the best, demand Tac Ops.

I can't think of which manufacturer says it, but one of them recommends cleaning their trigger by dousing it down with lighter fluid which is most likely what the Kingsford stuff is.
    Skunk #5893

Quote Originally Posted by Skunk
    I can't think of which manufacturer says it, but one of them recommends cleaning their trigger by dousing it down with lighter fluid which is most likely what the Kingsford stuff is.
    I think they mean the the type for Zippo style lighters. That stuff is Naptha based. Charcoal lighter fluid, like kingsford, is not.

I'm pretty sure Naptha is a form of enamel reducer. It's used to reduce alkyd enamel. Lacquer thinner is even hotter when it comes to cutting adhesives, but it melts plastic, so it might not be a good choice as a cleaning solvent. I'm not sure how it relates to kerosene, but I think it's distilled from petroleum oil.

Jeff
    Jeff passed away on July 17th, 2009, he will be GREATLY missed by everyone here at Sniper Central. Video Thread

" We cannot direct the wind,but we can adjust the sails." -Bertha Calloway

www.second-amendment.org

Quote Originally Posted by SRTS1
    Are you sure Kingsford is Naptha based?
    I think you're right and it isn't naptha (or is at least a mix)... The can I have is REALLY old (over 15 years) because I switched over to using a propane grill. I made my estimation of it being (or containing) Naptha because it smells kind of like a mixture of kerosene and the fluid I used in my Zippo lighter. The can says it contains "petrolium distilates".

That said, I still wouldn't want to use a highly flamable liquid to clean guns with. And yeah - I used to clean the chain on my dirt-bike in a coffee can of gasoline (not smart).
    Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason...

Quote Originally Posted by Slick
    Quote Originally Posted by SRTS1
    Are you sure Kingsford is Naptha based?
    And yeah - I used to clean the chain on my dirt-bike in a coffee can of gasoline (not smart).
    That isnt bad. Unless it's an O-ring chain. :wink: We should start a dirtbike thread.

Ads