Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

wind tables/ballistic program

5K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  MikeD. 
#1 ·
Hi folks!

Has anybody recommendations for a good, unerstandable ballistic software i'm capable of creating wind charts/tables for my loads/ammunition?

I used one that was pretty simple, but got the job well done. However it was only for drop charts.
Now I would like to be able to calculate data for wind drift as well.

Any recommendations, especially on freeware? (for PC/Windows)

Thanks in advance for anything helfpul!

regards

#2 ·
there was one floating around here somewhere. it was fantastic....ill try to find it......here it is. it was hiding as a sticky in the cartridges and calibers section.

http://www.jbmballistics.com/calculations/calculations.html

fill the important info into the trajectories-simplified calculator (near the bottom) and you have yourself windage and drop all in one.

#3 ·
There are lines between the sections on JBM trajectories http://www.jbmballistics.com/~jbm/cgi-b ... aj-5.0.cgi so i will tell you what to fill out in each section.

First section- either bullet from library or the info if it's not there

Second section- velocity from your chrono and distance

Third section- Just sight height. Nothing else.

Fourth section- wind speed and leave direction at 90 as that is full value. I like to use 10mph as I can adjust off of that.

Fifth section- Target speed if you need that. I use 2 mph which is basicly walking speed and what most movers I have shot are set at.

Sixth section- The ranges you want with your zero range

Seventh section- Your info for temp, elevation, pressure if you know it and if not leave what is there and I use 60 for humidity as it's average and that number doesn't make much difference anyways.

Eighth section- Your drop units. If you have an MOA scope make the first one MOA. Not clicks but full MOA as you use the big numbers on the dial to dial on the elevation and don't count clicks. If you use mil elevation then set it on Mil. The second one can be what your reticle is in. If it is mil based make that mil. I don't use vitals or energy but feel free if you need them.

Ninth section- Leave what is checked like it is

Now click calculate and you are done. I have been using JBM for years and that is how I do it and get the proper info all the time. Make sure to put the right info in or you won't get the right info out.

#4 ·
Thanks for the info guys!
Looks like a interesting bunch of ballistic calculations. :idea:

Just a question left, wind drift is nearly linear when varying wind speed, isn't it? So when drift is 12" at distance x, at 5mph cross wind, it would be 6" when blowing only with 2,5mph, right?
And yes, I know 12"drift at distance x won't lead to 24" drift at 2x...

#7 ·
This may or may not have been hit recently but i have been looking for a ballistics program to run on a TI-83+ calculator. I have been looking for a while and have been unsuccessful. I have heard several requests for one but still havent seen it. If anyone knows of one and could post it up that would be fantastic.

#10 ·
If you have an Itouch or Iphone there are several ballistic programs that are very good. I bought "Ballistic Field Tactical Edition" by Jonothan Zdriarski from ITunes and have been very impressed with it.

#11 ·
Yeah, I really thought of getting a Ipod touch/Iphone/PDA just because of that reason ^^
However, I haven't got the money for such "toys" yet, as instead I'm saving money on reloading equipment.

I just got that lump of a calculator because I needed it at school.

#12 ·
Romeyo said:
Yeah, I really thought of getting a Ipod touch/Iphone/PDA just because of that reason ^^
However, I haven't got the money for such "toys" yet, as instead I'm saving money on reloading equipment.

I just got that lump of a calculator because I needed it at school.
I understand the budget crunch. I agree with your priorities as well. One of the cool features about the Iphone, (I am a recent convert, long time hater of them) You can get a graphing calculator app for them. I am amazed that one little tool will do so much and still play music.

#13 ·
I got the feeling my current mobile phone will conk out pretty soon, maybe I'll get an i-phon then... a friend of mine got one of those amusing little things with tons of unnecessary softwares, games, programs and thelike. Some of them are quite interesting and helpful though.

However, I think with proper prepared drop and drift charts you will be able to do almost anything you can do with a handheld ballistic calculator, without the danger of running out of batteries :p

#14 ·
Romeyo said:
I got the feeling my current mobile phone will conk out pretty soon, maybe I'll get an i-phon then... a friend of mine got one of those amusing little things with tons of unnecessary softwares, games, programs and thelike. Some of them are quite interesting and helpful though.

However, I think with proper prepared drop and drift charts you will be able to do almost anything you can do with a handheld ballistic calculator, without the danger of running out of batteries :p
That is true, but while you are looking for information to make a chart I can use the information from my iPhone app to make a range card and reply to your post from one of the more troubled areas of the planet. I don't think it will replace a range card, but when it works it's pretty nice. Lots of tools use batteries, NVG's, GPS's, Range finders, radios, just to name a few. I certainly wouldn't shun them just because they need batteries. I would have a backup plan should they fail, but so long as they function they can be useful. The iPhone can be used as a GPS, map, satelite imagery, notebook, voice recorder, camera, calculator, ballistic computer and cellphone. All in a package smaller than a deck of cards... You can play cards with it too. Is it a stand alone item, of course not, but given it's capabilities, it packs a lot of features into a very small package. Yes, it runs the risk of running out of batteries, but it does much more than give me data to make a range card if it fails.

#15 ·
Has any one looked at the specs on the iphones and other gizmos???

I'm referring to the temp range and altitude... Not a real consideration on a nice oneway range in a mild clime...

Second a card doesnt fumble finger like a small buttoned calculator, fine motor skills go south as the stress monkey climbs up your pants leg.

Unless you are on a oneway range, there are enough calculations you have to make, not throwing in your come-ups and windage. Thinkin better time/function management would do better elsewhere...

Course we all have our come-ups memorized... part n parcel of being a trained marksman... :wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.