Jute vs. Burlap

This is a discussion on Jute vs. Burlap within the Misc. forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I've been looking at Ghillie suit kits and I've noticed that nearly all of them use jute strands, but most pics I've seen show burlap ...

Thread: Jute vs. Burlap

Jute vs. Burlap

I've been looking at Ghillie suit kits and I've noticed that nearly all of them use jute strands, but most pics I've seen show burlap as the main fabric. Is either one better or are they pretty much just as effective? Is it just a matter of personal preference?
    "You're acting like the meek are gonna inheret the Earth. The meek ain't gonna inheret nothin west of Chicago." --Sam Elliot, The Quick and the Dead

www.patriots-pen.blogspot.com

K2
    I tend to favor burlap, but then I am somewhat of a traditionalist as you may have noticed. Also, being invisible is no longer a job requirement for me since leaving the military. I think that the burlap looks a little more three-dimensional in the prone postion, while the jute has the edge for an upright stalk. Just my opinion. Probably didn't help you much and I'm SURE someone will disagree! Good luck.

K2
    "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds."

Samuel Adams

Well, to be honest, I couldn't tell you the difference between the two!! Over on the east coast, everything that I considered burlap was referred to as Jute, over here in the west, everything is called burlap. I just did a search on the internet for a technical difference of the two fabrics and noticed a lot of references to "jute burlap". So, well, perhaps someone can fill me in! I'm thinking perhaps jute is a more finely twisted strand then typical burlap?

I personally like to strip the strings individually out of the burlap weave and tie bundles of strands and not actual strips. More labor, but better 3d flow of the camo.

MEL

If I'm not mistaken, burlap is the fabric and jute is the string that is woven to produce burlap. I've found some sites were they sell strands of dyed jute by the pound for making ghillie suits.
    "You're acting like the meek are gonna inheret the Earth. The meek ain't gonna inheret nothin west of Chicago." --Sam Elliot, The Quick and the Dead

K2
    I may be wrong, but I've always referred to the fabric as burlap and the finer strands as jute. Maybe not correct technically, but it's how I diferentiate them. I think Westpointranger has it right.

K2
    "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds."

Samuel Adams

That's what I meant to say. Anyway, here's the website:

www.ghillesuits.com/burlap.pdf

Excellent! If thats the case, then I prefer using jute

MEL

Ads