Best ear protection?

This is a discussion on Best ear protection? within the Misc. forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Which is the best ear protection (muffs) for a guy that shoots a rifle and needs to get good cheek weld? Which one has good ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best ear protection?

Which is the best ear protection (muffs) for a guy that shoots a rifle and needs to get good cheek weld? Which one has good protection and is thin enough to get close to the rifle stock?

joseph

Re: Best ear protection?

Hi Joe:

There are many types of shooting earplugs ranging from simple foam inserts to electronic sound dampeners. And with choices today, one can spend 50 cents to $200 on ear protection.

However, what I recommend is to look for a major outdoor rifle or shotgun club or tournament, (skeet, trap or sporting clays.) Usually many vendors offering shooting accessories will attend these clubs/tournaments. Look for a vendor that offers custom molded ear plugs. This rubber/plastic/medical grade silicone substance is poured and molded in your ear and left to harden. Takes about 20 minutes. They are tied together for easy attachment/looping to a hat or so they wont get lost. Each plug has a red or blue tie attachment so as to determine left from right.

Cost is usually around $30 or so and offer good sound protection in addition to not interfering with a good cheek weld. I average about two years for each set of these plugs. I have no problem shooting a 300 target 12 ga event without impairing my hearing and still be capable of hearing the range officer and/or puller. I have also found them good for indoor pistol/rifle as well.

There is a company called Radians that offers a kit for you to do it at home, although they don't appear to be as fine as the ones available at major shoots or gun clubs.

http://www.radians.com/main/p-282-radia ... plugs.aspx.

Hope this helps,

HoJo
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

Thanks HonestJohn,

I have used those, but wanted to get some muffs if I could get good cheek weld if possible.

40gt

MSA Sordins, Simply the best ... and no problems with a good cheek weld. I use the supreme pros with the gel packs and can wear them for hr's at a time.
    http://www.srstactical.com/supreme.php
    pricy buy worth it and protecting your hearing is vital!
    JM .02
    Sully

Best, as in the absolute best money can buy without exception? Probably the MSA Sordins.

But it really depends on how you want to use them. I shoot competitions so I need to hear range commands and live on a budget, so I have a pair of Howard Leight Impact Sport electronics. They work great for most things.

When I need more than that, I have a pair of do-it-yourself-molded ear plugs that I wear.

If I need even more than that, I wear the muffs over the molded plugs.

When I need something in between them all, I have some Howard Leight Smart Fit earplugs. I can put these in at varying depths to allow me to hear more or less of what is going on around me.
    Graham Smith, SFC, US Army (Ret)
    "There's no right way to do the wrong thing."

i like my peltors. they have a very slim profile. i've never had a problem getting a good cheek weld on any rifle (AR, M1A, bolt gun)
    Fast is fine. Accuracy is final. You need to learn to shoot slow, real fast- Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by slothlacrosse
    i like my peltors. they have a very slim profile. i've never had a problem getting a good cheek weld on any rifle (AR, M1A, bolt gun)
    Which model do you have?

40gt

the Tactical Sport model

http://www.peltormilitary.com/sites/...rotection.aspx

i had a pair of Tac-6, but the buldges on the side would push my ear pro up when shooting prone. i thought it would be ok since my ear was mostly covered. then i cracked off a 300WM from a covered concrete pad. lesson learned the hard way.
    Fast is fine. Accuracy is final. You need to learn to shoot slow, real fast- Wyatt Earp

peltor comtacs or sordins.
    Custom Military Style Ghillie Suits
    http://www.libertytreetactical.com

I'm a huge fan of Surefire EarPro Sonic Defenders. Cheap, small, light weight, no electronics.
    There is a center plug I can leave out, so I can still hear people next to me talking. But I haven't been around anything bigger than a .308 with these. If your going to shoot something big, keep the plugs in.
    On a side note, that might not affect a lot of people. But you can take take these through customs, and not have to do any explaining. If you do a lot of traveling to other countries for the job, you know that customs can be a pain. And I think I spent about $12 on them last year. I try to clean them ever time I use them, warm water+mild soap and there good to go.
    I do have a pair of Peltor Tech 6. They are nice, do not like the dual volume controls. Plan on getting a set of Impact Sports ear pro. And it nevers fails there is always someone that doesnt have ear pro.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads