Muzzle device

This is a discussion on Muzzle device within the Misc. forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I have a question that someone might be able to help me with, and make a recommendation. One of my favorite AR based rifles of ...

Thread: Muzzle device

Muzzle device

I have a question that someone might be able to help me with, and make a recommendation.

One of my favorite AR based rifles of mine is my “long range” rig. It sports a very nice 20” SS Walther 1:8 barrel, with an 11° target crown. It has shown itself to be a 1MOA set up.

I am looking to put a compensator on it to control muzzle flip, and flip only. There is of course no issue with recoil on a .223. It seems, regardless of the inherent weight of the barrel and the rifle as a whole, I still experience what I think is a lot a flip. In fact this thing seems to hop around in a most annoying manner. This makes good follow through practices and follow up shots a drag. Shots out 400 plus yards with no spotter can be hard to know where I am hitting, or not as the case may be. I am also trying to improve and where needed, modify my technique, but I can’t seem to get a consistent result.

So………… I am going to send the barrel in to be threaded and I am looking for recommendations for a muzzle device that has proven itself to deal with flip.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Re: Muzzle device

How much noise are you willing to tolerate? If the answer is "a lot", then what is arguably the best compensator made is the SJC Titan (http://stores.sjcguns.com/Categories...nd+Titan+Comps) I had one on a 3-gun rifle and it shot as flat as a pancake even when I was on the move. But gawd they are loud.

If you want less noise but still good control, then the next best choice is the PWS TTO (http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/v...8&idcategory=6

And, by the way, these are not subjective opinions. USPSA did a series of tests of compensator's and these two consistently came out as winners.
    Graham Smith, SFC, US Army (Ret)
    "There's no right way to do the wrong thing."

Quote Originally Posted by avolcek
    Looks like a great rig. Question, you shooting off hard bench w/ the bipod? Try putting a couple blankets down on the bench under the bipod, see how that treats you.
    Thanks, it has turned out to be a really fun rifle.
    Yes I am shooting bench mostly, lately. I plan on starting prone soon, and I want to get this flip issue under control. In fact I was looking at a piece of Neopreen or something to "dampen down" the action. Might be of some help.

Quote Originally Posted by gsmithplm
    How much noise are you willing to tolerate? If the answer is "a lot", then what is arguably the best compensator made is the SJC Titan (http://stores.sjcguns.com/Categories...nd+Titan+Comps) I had one on a 3-gun rifle and it shot as flat as a pancake even when I was on the move. But gawd they are loud.

If you want less noise but still good control, then the next best choice is the PWS TTO (http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/v...8&idcategory=6

And, by the way, these are not subjective opinions. USPSA did a series of tests of compensator's and these two consistently came out as winners.
    Thanks for the feed back. The Titan looks exactly like what I am looking for. I must admit though, I am a little concerned about being "one of those guys" on the line. But to be honest, with all the Lapuas and the like these days, I won't be the worst guy around! I am pretty much the only guy out there without some sort of muzzle treatment currently.

Thanks again!

Ads