WW2 sniper rifles

This is a discussion on WW2 sniper rifles within the Misc. forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Can someone give me some details of all the sniper rifles that where used during the second world war? Doesn't matter if there are only ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WW2 sniper rifles

Can someone give me some details of all the sniper rifles that where used during the second world war? Doesn't matter if there are only two left or something like that. Prices and expenses are no problem at this point since I'm only gathering intelligence about these weapons.

It has to do something with me trying to get a collectors license for firearms.

There is absolutely no guarentee that I can get the license but I need a lot of intel about the guns and reasons why I want to collect these specific guns.

Post rifles of every country and links to more detailed sites with more pictures and info. In the stroy Muzzleblast posted once about those german snipers I know that the germans where the only one with a special sniper school (maybey the Brits had one too but I don't know).

Any information will be highly appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

re

gunfan, you would bankrupt yourself collecting origional condition WWII sniper rifles, and waste an awful lot of time trying to hunt down good examples.

Unless you feel particularly passionate about them, I would get a license to collect something else.
    "20,000 men, who strewed the ground in heaps and swathes. . ." ~ Lt Churchill, after the first use of the Maxim machinegun, 1898.
    "War, which used to be cruel and magnificent, has become cruel and squalid." ~ Churchill, on the H Bomb, 1952.

I know that those guns cost a lot of money. Here are some prices that I already found:
    K98k with ZF4 scope € 1.450,00
    ENFIELD NO4T+matching scope € 1.950,00
    1903a4 with original Weaver scope € 2.750,00

Those I found in an advertisement but they all have been sold (maybey except the 1903).

Problem is that before I can join a collector's association I need a plan of guns that I want to collect, reasons why I want them, value of the collection and a whole bunch of other stuff which will sound really ridiculous for the people who don't live here (not that they sound so great to me but I have to deal with it).

So when you have better ideas for a collection I love to hear it.

Maybey an original Mosin-Nagant with scope won't cost a fortune.

Currently Moscow, Novogireevo district. Fooling around with Xilinx software.
    If you go for sniper MN, watch out for PU scopes and mounts, it is not uncommon to see ones used on SVTs, or even cannon-mounted PUs sold as "PU scope for MN sniper rifle".

Correct me if I got it wrong, but those people in charge of giving licances want you to give them some kind of history class and want to hear why the hell that particular kind of rifles is so important for collector, i.e. you?
    If you align your sights with your target, hold them there and pull the trigger straight back, you'll hit what you are aiming at, even if you are hanging upside down on a chandelier -
    - Massad Ayyob

Correct me if I got it wrong, but those people in charge of giving licances want you to give them some kind of history class and want to hear why the hell that particular kind of rifles is so important for collector, i.e. you?
    I guess they want something like that. But the problem is that everything is so clear as mud and I have not much knowledge of what they want from me. They´ll probably won´t take much of the history lesson since I haven´t got an university degree in history.

Real complicated and absolutely not understandable.

Remington M-700 LTR 20" Fluted .308
    Leupold MK-4 3.5-10X40mm M-1 LR
    Leupold MK-4 Rings
    USO Base - 0 MOA
    Black Hills .308 175gr SMK

Thanks for the links, I checked them and they have some nice info.

But if someone has more it is welcome.

Canadians used Lee-Enfild #1 and Lee-Enfild #4 (as Brits) as well as Garands. (you can find some info on http://www.surplusrifle.com/no4/index.asp ) - there is a book Without Warning - Canadian Sniper Equipment of the 20th Century, Clive M. Law
    Soviet SVT-40 - http://www.leverarms.com and go to specials and then scroll down - you will see two of them - with scope rail "sniper" and regular. SVT-40 though proved to be too complicated and was replaced in 1942-1943 with Mosin-Nagants.
    Finns used Mosin-Nagant (they made their own too). There is a link kindly provided by Muzzle
    http://psmilitaria.50megs.com/canguns.html
    Germans were using their K-98

I think that you will have more problem getting scopes then rifles, as rifles have longer life..

[edited]
    I wonder what was used by Japan and Italians - they both had their own light weapon production. If you will dig it out, please let me know.

I wonder what was used by Japan and Italians - they both had their own light weapon production. If you will dig it out, please let me know.
    I think japan used a Type 99 Arisaka?... not sure though...

I've never seen a Japanese sniper rifle though...I think their snipers just relied on great camo and trees and fired from close range ambush style.

Their MG's had optics though
    I am dyslexia of Borg, futility is resistant, your &#* will be laminated.

The People's Moderator!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads