.308 Bipod

This is a discussion on .308 Bipod within the Misc. forums, part of the Sniping Related category; So for my b-day I am getting a savage arms 11/111 hunter xp and I was wondering what bipod I should get, and what lengths. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .308 Bipod

.308 Bipod

So for my b-day I am getting a savage arms 11/111 hunter xp and I was wondering what bipod I should get, and what lengths. Any ideas?

Banned
    Harris.....

+1 on the Harris. I have the 6-9 and the 9-13, but all I ever use is the 6-9. Swivel and notched legs are worth the money as well as a kwm podloc.

BRM-S
    Rem 700 sps-v .308 in AICS
    Thunderbeast 30P-1
    Tac Ops Tac 51 .260 on Surgeon action
    NRA Life-Member

Banned
    Buy the KWM, don't buy any other pod-lock. I did and I hate it. Will be buying the KWM shortly.

Harris 6-9 on the exact rifle. (non swivel version)

Purchased a UTG bipod. It didn't suck, but the Harris is much better built, and lighter.
    Savage 11 .308 with Nikon scope, Weaver rings, Harris bipod, Quake sling, and Cross Tac rear rest.

Nikon M308 currently on my shopping list.

Well lets talk about a few bipods, lol, this is what I have T&E in the past.

Caldwell: A Harris Bipod clone that runs about $30-$40 less. You can still use a version of the quick lock available from EBCO and it is a decent limited range swivel (cant) bipod. I would not truct if for heavy use as there IS a decline in quality between that and the Harris.

Blackhawk: Another Harris clone (are you seeing a trend here) and again $40 or so less. The Blackhawk has both pan and cant adjustments with a built in pod lock type locking lever. In a nutshell PASS!! Blackhawk makes some good tac gear but they are attempting to get into everything (Axiom stocks, bipods etc..) The feet are not wide enough apart to allow for the pan to be used properly and the rifle will fall over unless the pod is locked down, making the whole pan and cant useless.

Harris: Great bipod, solid and easy to use. Get the S mods and there are all kinds of after market attachments you can get. I don't like the podloc as much as the SARG Shooter Adjustable Rotary Grip, both available on Triad Tactical. I also picked up the Phoenix pod claws and Ski feet. The claws are so-so but the feel are great and preventing the pod from sinking into soft ground and sand. With all that the Harris is still not my favorite bipod.

Atlas Bipod: An pricey but excellent system. For anyone who needs a solid tactical bipod that can pan & cant and can get VERY low then this it it. It is fast and easy to adjust and makes no noise when adjusted (good for hunting and tactical use) and the legs move independent of each other. I can adjust in less then a second and adapt to any terrain. The Atlas rocks and the quick lock allows one pod to be used on multiple systems (as long as you have a picatinny rail mounted) again EXPENSIVE, but if you got the cash get one. I still use my Harris because I don't have rails on all my rigs and its a great bipod but if I ever had to have just one...

Sinclair Tactical Bipod- This is the most stable of all of them. It can be adjusted with the legs really wide out allowing for a very low profile and highly stable base. This bipod is easy to front load and easy to adjust. It is expensive and BIG. This would not be a good hunting or tactical bipod, no matter what the name says. It has a pod lock lever and good amount of cant and attaches to a sling stud just like the Harris. There is a pin that slides through the stud and two wing nuts to lock it down making it very secure. It is cumbersome and the legs are big and thick but there is a push button lever that allows the removal of the legs making it easy to get into a bag or when slung over the shoulder. I would rate this the best of the bench shooter bipods but it is also expensive running around the same price as the stripped down Atlas.

GG&G Extreme duty: Another big heavy bipod. It can be used as a club in you need and will take out a zombie. In fact one will be featured on Walking Dead this season. Other then heavy it is solid but HIGH! If your a big person that is find but it was way too high when mounted on my rifle. I didn't keep it long so not much to report.

That's it, I know I am missing a few, lol, but like I have said before I have too much money to spend on gear, but love playing with new toys. One day I'll do a short run down on optics too.

Sully

I was watching Shooting USA last night and they were shooting a bolt gun that had a regular Harris bipod but rather than the normal pod-loc, it had a large round knurled knob. Anyone know who makes that?
    Graham Smith, SFC, US Army (Ret)
    "There's no right way to do the wrong thing."

I have used Harris bipods in the past, for many years, this was the "go-to" bipod. All the ones I used were the stud mount style, kinda cumbersome to mount and dismount. I tried out a Caldwell and quickly disposed of it. For my new rifle, I have an Atlas on order.

Graham, that is the lock I use and it is put out by Phoenix Tactical. It is called the SARG or shooter adjust rotary grip. I like it much better then the pod lock. Here is a link and info:

Triad Tactical, Inc.*::*Shooter Adjustable Rotary Grip Knob (S.A.R.G.)

Sully

Ghost, You will love the Atlas, by far best bipod for tactical use. Easy to load, able to vet very low and having both swivel and cant is a nice feature.

Sully

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads