Inletting a Bell & Carlson Stock

This is a discussion on Inletting a Bell & Carlson Stock within the Misc. forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Hi folks.I have done a search of this on the forums as well as all over the internet and I still don't know what my ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By gsmithplm
  • 1 Post By cheaptrick

Thread: Inletting a Bell & Carlson Stock

Inletting a Bell & Carlson Stock

Hi folks.I have done a search of this on the forums as well as all over the internet and I still don't know what my best options are to this.I recently purchaced my brothers Remington XCR TLR that came with the B&C medalist stock.I wanted a detachable MAg with this so I bought the M-5 style Stealth from PTG.What I didn't realize was how difficult it was to work with the Bell & Carlson to get this work done.One gunsmith quoted me $400 minimum.I told him if I had 400 bucks why in the world would I keep the B&C and not buy a better stock outright?Now I know there have been some of you who have experience with this and I would like to ask,being at the end of my budget as far as my guns go,what would be the best thing to do?Are there gunsmiths out there that can mill this thing to fit my syock at a reasonable price?Should I opt to look into getting a HSP stock?Shold I return the stealth bottom metal and just be happy with what I have?I would hate to resort to the last option,because at the range it would be so much more practical having a detach mag than hand feeding the rounds every 5 shots.
    Any advise you can give or help in steering me into the right direction would be very much appreciated!

You need to find a different gunsmith. You should be able to send your stock out to be inlet for about $50. It's the same inlet pattern as for a Badger, so you just need to find someone who does inletting for those.

Worse come to worse, if you buy a B&C stock and a PTG DBM from Stockys, they will inlet it for free.
    rickh03301 likes this.
    Graham Smith, SFC, US Army (Ret)
    "There's no right way to do the wrong thing."

I have had the same situation and wanted to install a PTG detachable magazine system on my HS stock.

I found a local guy in my area that milled it out for me for around $75.00, as I recall. Another option may be to contact one of the gunsmiths on this site, like X Ring Accuracy.
    They mention stock inletting as a service they provide.
    http://www.xringaccuracy.com

Whatever you do, I would advise strongly against getting out the old Dremel and trying to inlet it yourself. I did and made a mess out of one stock.
    rickh03301 likes this.
    You just picked up a hitcher...a prisoner of the white lines on the free way.

Quote Originally Posted by gsmithplm View Post

Worse come to worse, if you buy a B&C stock and a PTG DBM from Stockys, they will inlet it for free.
    Did not know this, but I'm not surprised. Stocky's is great.

I bought the gun from my brother complete as is.But I did get the info from Stockys.On their you tube site there is a video of them telling you that Bell & Carson stocks are not designed to be inletted,or to be very difficult to do.Stockys site actually got me to realize this about B&C.Unfortunately I had already placed my order for the PTG.In any event I am relieved to hear that there are people who have successfully had their B&C stock inletted and at a reasonable price.The lesson for me to learn here is to be more thorough doing my research before handling my Debit card.I am taking my Gun and BM to another gunny and he told me he would go over all my options and get me some priceing.I am also thankfull for the link to xring.I will see if I can get him to work on it at a price I can afford.
    I will post all my results here so that others who may have this problem can learn from my ordeal.Thanks guys.I appreciate your input.

Cheaptrick,you are the greatest.I phoned X Ring Accuracy and the guy I just talked to was absolutely the nicest guy ever.They will inlet my stock for $100,plus S/H.And they'll do it in less than a months time.I think this is very reasonable time wise and price wise.They seem to be top notch professionals at what they do and I can't thank you enough for your help.

As an alternative, Stockys sells a DBM from Wyatts that is drop in compatable with a Rem 700 stock. It takes proprietary mags and is not as good as AICS style mags, but it does work fairly well and saves you the cost of inletting.

Addendum: I say that Stockys will inlet but let me amend that to say that they did at one time. Cannot verify that they still do.
    Graham Smith, SFC, US Army (Ret)
    "There's no right way to do the wrong thing."

Quote Originally Posted by rickh03301 View Post
    Cheaptrick,you are the greatest.I phoned X Ring Accuracy and the guy I just talked to was absolutely the nicest guy ever.They will inlet my stock for $100,plus S/H.And they'll do it in less than a months time.I think this is very reasonable time wise and price wise.They seem to be top notch professionals at what they do and I can't thank you enough for your help.
    Good deal and your more than welcome. I'm sure they will do a great job for you.

Ads