Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

Muzzle Brake testing????

8K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  deadshot2 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever tested various muzzle brakes and quantified the amount of recoil reduction using the same rifle and ammo?

I'd love to see some results of such a test. So far I have only been able to find anecdotal information posted by either manufacturer or user that usually reads like "Recoil was reduced by over 50%, etc, etc.". Basically "claims without proof".

Just curious if anyone has ever conducted testing where actual units of recoil pressure were recorded on one rifle, shooting one type of ammo, with only the different brands of brake being screwed on the end of the barrel.

#10 ·
Funny you should ask...I just ran across this the other day. It may not include everything you mentioned, but it's a step in the right direction. I hope it helps.

Muzzle Brakes: Recoil Results for 308 & 300 Magnum - PrecisionRifleBlog.com

Thanks for the link. Looks like this guy did it right covering impulse recoil as well as momentum. Was also interesting how two brakes stood out from all the rest, some with big names that have lots of advocates.

In the .308 test the Alamo 4 Star and APA Fat B were neck and neck but when he stepped it up to the 300 Norma, looks like the Alamo 4 Star pulled into the lead.

Very interesting.

#11 · (Edited)
Rhyno430;445076 However I'd be curious to know if any breaks cause any pull off. On the smaller calibers probably not said:
I'm not sure that a properly "timed" brake would cause significant "pull off". If anything I think a more effective brake would reduce that tendency.

For brakes with smaller ports I could see uneven carbon buildup could be an issue but one that could be mitigated with simple cleaning.

I recently had to clean my muzzle brake and I just used a properly sized drill bit to remove the thick carbon "scale".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.