Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

Simple Bi-Pod Question

5K views 34 replies 14 participants last post by  DenverDave 
#1 ·
Hey guys! I'm a newbie here, and very new to the LRR shooting world.
Well my question is I am putting together a build for my R700 SPS Tactical .308 I am using the Hogue stock that it came with (I know I should upgrade my stock but $$ issues means I will have to hold off). I'll include a picture of it.
However it only comes with one stud for a sling/bi-pod. I was wondering if any of you could suggest any decently priced bi-pods that also have a sling stud built into them. Or is that even remotely something I should try to do is find a bi-pod with a sling stud on it? Like I said I'm new to building a long range shooter and I've only hunted a handful of times.

tl;dr
Is it advisable to find a bi-pod w/ sling stud, or is that dumb/stupid and could cause accuracy issues/damage the stock.

Thanks!
Max Gun Rifle Firearm Shotgun Trigger
Gun Rifle Firearm Shotgun Trigger

See less See more
#2 ·
A bipod with a built in swivel poses no issue. Caldwell, Harris, etc will all accept a sling. However, the hogue stocks on those rifles tend to flex to the point of possibly (or more accurately - probably) touching the barrel.

MY recommendation would be to find a good HS Precision take off stock from a 700P, 5R Milspec or similar rifle to replace the stock. It's a lot better built, has two studs, and (big plus) has an aluminum bedding block with built in pillars which will help you out as far as accuracy goes. Guys buy milspecs and police rifles all the time and drop them into aftermarket stocks, so you could find one of these takeoffs pretty easily and pretty cheap.

#3 ·
Hell even a $100 Boyd's stock is an improvement over those Houges.

Caldwell would be the cheapest I'd go on a bi-pod. But even then, considering a Harris is only another $30 it's not worth buying anything but a Harris.

#6 ·
:( I know I know... I've read all about how terrible my stock is.. and I'm so new at shooting that I really can't tell what's good about it and whats bad other than how its made with the "free floating barrel" will cause it to touch the barrel because of the material its made from. I just realllyyy like the feel of it.. and its.... grippyness?

#7 · (Edited)
I've got the same stock on my Howa and like you said the grippiness of it feels good but it is flimsy. I'm trying to find a good used wood stock like is on the Hunter series. I have a 700P with the H-S Precision stock and it's very stiff. You can add another sling stud easy enough if that's what you want to do.

#14 ·
The reason is if you use a rifle outside of a range setting, it will get all kinds of crap in the big gap on aforementioned rifles. Then they aren't free floating either...........

#17 ·
I agree it might be easy to remove if you can see it. Won't matter after you pooch the cold bore shot.

Obviously you have never caught a venetian blind cord, and I'm embarrassed to admit I have. I am supposed to know better.

#24 ·
Really appreciate that reply!!!

It's really helped me and I did have a lot of questions regarding the stock and everything. My price range was between $150-$300-ish and I really like the magpul hunter stock, also having the option to easily add the magazine system is a big plus. I have yet to shoot it as we are waiting until after February to get a scope for it. That of course is the next purchase I'm going to have to decide on. Once again, appreciate the input. Really helped alot!

#25 ·
Spend an extra $350 and get a Grayboe stock. It's miles ahead of the Magpul. I personally think the Magpul isn't that great. Its comfy, but the forend flexes still.

#32 ·
A zero stop is a setting that stops the turret when you return to zero. So on that scope if you turn it past zero one or two times to dial up for a shot, then forget to count back down, your zero is lost. With a zero stop, if you ever get lost in dialing up and down where you are, you just turn the scope down till you hit the mechanical stop.

#33 ·
I see.. I could easily work around this if I plan on writing down and taking notes of how many clicks I need to make a certain shot right?? That way I will know exactly where I'm at when I'm dialing my scope. Just double checking on my logic here haha I plan on making notes and keeping a little notebook with me whenever I shoot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.