Simple Bi-Pod Question

Simple Bi-Pod Question

This is a discussion on Simple Bi-Pod Question within the Misc. forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Hey guys! I'm a newbie here, and very new to the LRR shooting world. Well my question is I am putting together a build for ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Simple Bi-Pod Question

Simple Bi-Pod Question

Hey guys! I'm a newbie here, and very new to the LRR shooting world.
    Well my question is I am putting together a build for my R700 SPS Tactical .308 I am using the Hogue stock that it came with (I know I should upgrade my stock but $$ issues means I will have to hold off). I'll include a picture of it.
    However it only comes with one stud for a sling/bi-pod. I was wondering if any of you could suggest any decently priced bi-pods that also have a sling stud built into them. Or is that even remotely something I should try to do is find a bi-pod with a sling stud on it? Like I said I'm new to building a long range shooter and I've only hunted a handful of times.

tl;dr
    Is it advisable to find a bi-pod w/ sling stud, or is that dumb/stupid and could cause accuracy issues/damage the stock.

Thanks!
    Maxr700.JPGr700.JPG

A bipod with a built in swivel poses no issue. Caldwell, Harris, etc will all accept a sling. However, the hogue stocks on those rifles tend to flex to the point of possibly (or more accurately - probably) touching the barrel.

MY recommendation would be to find a good HS Precision take off stock from a 700P, 5R Milspec or similar rifle to replace the stock. It's a lot better built, has two studs, and (big plus) has an aluminum bedding block with built in pillars which will help you out as far as accuracy goes. Guys buy milspecs and police rifles all the time and drop them into aftermarket stocks, so you could find one of these takeoffs pretty easily and pretty cheap.

Hell even a $100 Boyd's stock is an improvement over those Houges.

Caldwell would be the cheapest I'd go on a bi-pod. But even then, considering a Harris is only another $30 it's not worth buying anything but a Harris.
    I redefined trust between my wife and I. Bought her a gun, hand loaded ammo for it, showed her how to shoot it, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

-Chris

Hidden Content Originally Posted by sns2 Hidden Content
    I got my gun today. Went to the range. You guys weren't kidding. Even off a rest it seemed to be touching the barrel. What an utter piece of s*** that Hogue stock is.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Simple answer to a simple question.

"Harris"

I agree with NorCal. I started off with a Caldwell, it did the job. I recently upgraded to an Atlas. they're very nice bipods.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalFocus View Post
    Hell even a $100 Boyd's stock is an improvement over those Houges.

Caldwell would be the cheapest I'd go on a bi-pod. But even then, considering a Harris is only another $30 it's not worth buying anything but a Harris.
    I know I know... I've read all about how terrible my stock is.. and I'm so new at shooting that I really can't tell what's good about it and whats bad other than how its made with the "free floating barrel" will cause it to touch the barrel because of the material its made from. I just realllyyy like the feel of it.. and its.... grippyness?

I've got the same stock on my Howa and like you said the grippiness of it feels good but it is flimsy. I'm trying to find a good used wood stock like is on the Hunter series. I have a 700P with the H-S Precision stock and it's very stiff. You can add another sling stud easy enough if that's what you want to do.
    Last edited by OLEJOE; 01-03-2017 at 06:58 PM.

If you want a grippy surface get a can of plasti dip spray. I use it to coat tool handles and a few other things. Ace Hardware usually has it.

Quote Originally Posted by xMaximusx View Post
    I know I know... I've read all about how terrible my stock is.. and I'm so new at shooting that I really can't tell what's good about it and whats bad other than how its made with the "free floating barrel" will cause it to touch the barrel because of the material its made from. I just realllyyy like the feel of it.. and its.... grippyness?
    Thats okay that you don't know, at least you admit it. By saying "I don't know, teach me" you'll learn. Now I understand being on a budget, all of us here do. But I'm going to tell you right off the bat, most of us here live by the buy once cry once moto. This is our hobby and most of us save money elsewhere in life to afford this hobby. So when someone says you want to buy this, don't think its because we're just spending someone else's money. Its because we've been there and done that.

Now onto why that stock sucks...Yeah it has a great shape and feels really good in the hand. But its shaped for off hand, small scope, hunting style shooting. As you'll find as you shoot more, other shaped stock are much more comfortable for long strings of fire, in other positions. Your going to want a scope that has a 44-50mm objective, that will require higher mounting, that requires your stock have a higher cheek piece. The stock you have now, flexes when you put pressure on a bi-pod, putting pressure on the barrel, differently every time. Thats not going to let you have consitant groups. Remember a fraction of on inch error at the muzzle translates into inches and even feet at longer distance.

Oh yeah BTW, thats a Boyds stock on my rifle in my picture with my son.

The cheapest option for a decent stock $130 for another $60, they'll make the cheek riser adjustable. https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/FindA...on=1J&Shape=1G

Next best choice. $250, they have drop in cheek height adjustment and spacers for length of pull. Another $75 (which can be done later on) and you can add a magazine system. Magpul Hunter 700 Stock Remington 700 Aluminum Block Polymer

Better stock option, but cost more for add on's later is $280 Bell Carlson Medalist M40 Varmint/Tactical Rifle Stock Remington 700

I know you said a simple question on bi-pods, but I thought you may want to hear more on the stock.

But here is the exact bi-pod I would go with http://www.midwayusa.com/product/155...t-6-to-9-black.

Add one of these to it for much easier use. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/274...-angled-handle
    Last edited by NorCalFocus; 01-03-2017 at 09:07 PM.
    I redefined trust between my wife and I. Bought her a gun, hand loaded ammo for it, showed her how to shoot it, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

-Chris

I got my gun today. Went to the range. You guys weren't kidding. Even off a rest it seemed to be touching the barrel. What an utter piece of s*** that Hogue stock is.

Quote Originally Posted by OLEJOE View Post
    I've got the same stock on my Howa and like you said the grippiness of it feels good but it is flimsy. I'm trying to find a good used wood stock like is on the Hunter series. I have a 700P with the H-S Precision stock and it's very stiff. You can add another sling stud easy enough if that's what you want to do.
    For your Howa
    https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/FindA...pe=04&Finish=1

-Chris

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Ads