A little OT, Stolen Valor type scenario, Help confirm claimed sharp shooter.

This is a discussion on A little OT, Stolen Valor type scenario, Help confirm claimed sharp shooter. within the Misc. forums, part of the Sniping Related category; This guy is always around, always talking bullshit, always claiming that he's done all these great things and yet somehow can never prove any of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: A little OT, Stolen Valor type scenario, Help confirm claimed sharp shooter.

This guy is always around, always talking bullshit, always claiming that he's done all these great things and yet somehow can never prove any of it. Says he spent time in the Army and was a sharp shooter, yet he can't hit shit, will never accept a shooting challenge, owns no firearms at all, lost paperwork that proves military service, no physical evidence at all that he ever even served. So trying to sort through the bullshit and wasn't sure if there was a simple way to look up someones military record. Thought I'd come here since he thinks he was a sniper. Name is Micheal David Coe born in Loves Park, IL. Currently lives in Lodi, WI. Born 8/12/69. I know he isn't dressing up and pretending but the constant barrage of bullshit gets old. Lives with his girlfriend's parents, no job, no car, storage units he quit paying for. Parked junk boats in my yard, multiple junk cars in another buddies yard. Just a leach on everyone around him. Thanks for any help.

Administrator
    I'd just let it go. Is is advantageous to you to out him? The answer is no.

-Nate
    mike.h and waveslayer like this.
    NRA Service Rifle High Master
    President's Hundred
    US Distinguished Rifleman Badge
    NRA Silhouette AA

Take the high ground and as Nate suggested, let it go.

Impersonating in full dress uniform with medals at a Municipal Memorial Day/Veteran's Day celebration is a different thing.
    Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy. Deliver the poor and needy: rid them out of the hand of the wicked. Psalms 82:3-4

Quote Originally Posted by Skypilot View Post
    Take the high ground and as Nate suggested, let it go.

Impersonating in full dress uniform with medals at a Municipal Memorial Day/Veteran's Day celebration is a different thing.
    I agree, ignore and move on. There are hundreds of people like these (if not thousands).

As for dressing up in uniform with medals and such, really not illegal unless one's "posing" in order to obtain benefits they aren't entitled to. Could be extremely dangerous for this individual to do so and find himself among those who have 'been there, done that" but the original "stolen valor" law was overturned by the Courts.

A "Freedom of Speech" issue.

Just ignore. That will hurt him more than being "outed". People like this have issues with the space between their ears. We have one at our club who makes all kinds of claims of "perilous military service". Only people that listen to him anymore are the brand new members and they start to ignore him after a week or so.
    Skypilot likes this.

I've been friends with his girlfriend for 15 yrs. She's been with him off and on for 10. He's the kind of guy that has latched on to her because she is in school and might have an ok job some day so he can quit picking peas in the summer (his only work). He crashes her car driving drunk, she shows up to site and claims it was her when cops come because he has a CDL and might drive someday. Drinks all the time, always helps himself to beer when over. Has to be center of attention at every social thing even though he has zero to show for his life's accomplishments. She is co-dependant and doesn't have enough guts to be on her own so instead of kicking him out for good when he goes on a drunken bender and decides to live in random peoples woods in a shitty structure made of barn boards, she takes him back when the weather gets bad. It doesn't matter what you are doing whether it is cleaning a turkey or building a swingset, whatever you are doing is wrong and he knows how to do it better. It would just be nice to be able to say, "Mike, shut the fuck up. You didn't do shit in the Military.Quit pretending to know every goddamn thing and just sit and chill out like everyone else!" Just gets old when it is non-stop.

Call the VA maybe they can help

Wow, I sympathize, sounds like a really sad situation.
    Whether he is a vet or not, he could use some serious help.....more so than serious confrontation.

Regardless, all you would find out is date of service, station and rank unless you are NOK, a potential employer or a cop.
    Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy. Deliver the poor and needy: rid them out of the hand of the wicked. Psalms 82:3-4

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jrc 11/111 View Post
    It would just be nice to be able to say, "Mike, shut the fuck up. You didn't do shit in the Military.Quit pretending to know every goddamn thing and just sit and chill out like everyone else!" Just gets old when it is non-stop.
    hehehe...I'm feeling generous and you sound really frustrated, so I'ma let this go once. Be aware, we have a pretty strict "no F-bomb" rule on this site...it also includes most other swearing. Not my rule--I'm much like a roughneck--but I enforce the site rule.

But hey, when life gets old with him, why DON'T you just say that? If it bothers you this much, then just go for it. If you lose his "friendship" or respect, it's not like you've lost much. Just try not to find yourself with extra ventilation all of a sudden.

In other news. This has to be the weirdest first two posts on a the forum that I've ever seen.

-Nate
    NRA Service Rifle High Master
    President's Hundred
    US Distinguished Rifleman Badge
    NRA Silhouette AA

Quote Originally Posted by jrc 11/111 View Post
    Says he spent time in the Army and was a sharp shooter, yet he can't hit shit
    [...]
    if there was a simple way to look up someones military record.
    Next time he's around, simply ask him some questions a military or law-enforcement sharp shooter would be expected to know how to answer. E.g., let him explain the clock system method for estimating windage dial-in to you. I guess, anyone who served as a military or law enforcement sharp-shooter would at least remember the basics, even if it's a long time ago.

I have a friend like him. Well... he doesn't exactly fabricate him being a military hero, but in other fields. Like girls, sports, music, money, backgrounds, ect ect. You get the picture, right?

Nowadays, I just listen to him like I read fictional books or watch movies. From that point his BS becomes interesting story telling. I know how to tell fiction from truth, so I will make conclusions on my own terms.

You really need to a bigger person in order to enjoy those kinds of friends. So, he fabricates, who cares as long as his loyal to the friendship.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads