Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

Better with rifle or sidearm?

4K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Jeff_850 
#1 ·
I've been told and it seems to hold true at least with the folks that I've interacted with lately, that people have an affinity for and are a better shot with one or the other: Rifle or sidearm.

Until recently I would have said I was much better with a rifle. My current A-gunner and I started looking at IDPA competition shooting for a way to stay proficient with the sidearm. My rifle is pretty good, but with all this practice I'm nailing the 45 big time these days. My A-gunner is clearly rifle dominant, seriously good with the rifle, but only competent, not even in the very good category with a pistol.

#2 ·
That depends entirely on the individual. Some people do have an affinity for a certain kind of weapon, while for others, the performance differences tend to be in different amounts of training and different mindsets in what they prefer.

For me, the difference is just in how much I practice with the different kinds of weapons. I put in the least practice with the pistol, and thus get the lowest results with that. I'm well above the qualifications for CQB pistol and SMG handling, but my focus is still on the rifle.

#3 ·
Better with rifle

I'd say I'm better with my rifle though. My handgun has to be set up good though. I can shoot real good with a 1911 or my HK USP but can't hit jack with a GLOCK or similar pistols. The hard trigger pull always messed me up.

#4 ·
I am the same as Nek. Before the military, I shot mainly pistol, and did very well, since getting in, my focus is mainly, and will continue to be, rifle, and my handgun skills have suffered because of it. I'm still capable, but certainly no expert! But for me, its just a matter of practice....

MEL

#6 ·
i shoot a lot more rifle i do pistol, partly cause im not old enough for pistol/ccw permit but i feel a lot more comfortable with a short rifle/carbine, mostly my Bushmaster M4 Carbine and my Ruger PC9
i would consider myself good with pistols but much better with rifles

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.