Inexpensive quality of life AR upgrades

This is a discussion on Inexpensive quality of life AR upgrades within the Modern Sporting Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I'm wondering what inexpensive quality of life upgrades people have found for their ARs? Let's say $50 and less. Parts that maybe are not strictly ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Inexpensive quality of life AR upgrades

I'm wondering what inexpensive quality of life upgrades people have found for their ARs? Let's say $50 and less. Parts that maybe are not strictly necessary, but which make your shooting experience better.

For me personally, my favorite so far has been a Magpul fixed carbine stock for my AR15. It fits me perfect and it's really solid. I had a cheap adjustable on it before the Magpul and the cheapy moved around a lot on the buffer extension. New stock was like $25 and is worlds better.

Administrator
    Velcro soft side on the shell deflector.....$1
    RTV Silicone in the charging handle........$1
    KNS "Permapin" Stoner-spec Firing Pin Retention Pin.....$8
    Chrome-Silicon Eject/Extract springs.....$15
    Tubb CS Flatwire Buffer Spring.....$30
    Possum Hollow bore guide....$15

GOOD Magazines: CProducts Stainless Bodies, CS Springs, Magpul Gen III Followers....$25/ea

If anybody does NOT have a premium trigger with it's own premium pins, they should really consider a set of KNS Anti-rotational trigger pins...not because of the anti-rotation so much as because the pins are ground and polished...trigger pull is dramatically affected by this smoothness in an AR trigger. At about $25, it's a cheap improvement compared to a whole new trigger.

Finally...

Boxes of Match bullets. Short of a new barrel, they are the VERY best way to help an AR perform. Somewhere between $18 and $35 per hundred count, they are an eff'n bargain for what they can do, ladies and gentleman.

-Nate
    NRA Service Rifle High Master
    President's Hundred
    US Distinguished Rifleman Badge
    NRA Silhouette AA

For me I swapped out the buffer spring with Sprinco spring and Spikes tactical heavy buffer and made my carbine cycles a lot smoother.

For the bolt, installed BCM Extractor Spring Uprade Kit.

For a pistol AR, along with KNS anti-rotational trigger pins, I swap out the trigger spring with JP Trigger Spring Kit and polish the trigger for little more smoothness. Found a cheap $20 ambi selector which works pretty good at a gun show.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

I know some people really don't like them, but I love the BAD levers on my AR's.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    I know some people really don't like them, but I love the BAD levers on my AR's.
    I was shooting my AR today thinking of how nice one of those would be. I shoot prone mostly and having to unlock the bolt with my left hand isn't convenient.

JP Yellow Trigger/Hammer Springs
    Caldwell brass catcher. Seriously this saves me so much headache.
    I redefined trust between my wife and I. Bought her a gun, hand loaded ammo for it, showed her how to shoot it, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

-Chris

Hidden Content Originally Posted by sns2 Hidden Content
    I got my gun today. Went to the range. You guys weren't kidding. Even off a rest it seemed to be touching the barrel. What an utter piece of s*** that Hogue stock is.

DITTO, since buying the first one I bought this one from eBay for $16.55 here
    works just as well as my 30$ Magpul, it just doesn't have the name imprinted on the button but I can live with that.

:-D
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCalFocus View Post
    I was shooting my AR today thinking of how nice one of those would be. I shoot prone mostly and having to unlock the bolt with my left hand isn't convenient.

JP Yellow Trigger/Hammer Springs
    Caldwell brass catcher. Seriously this saves me so much headache.
    I have one of those on one of my ar s. Its a good upgrade unless you have to put your rifle in she shooting table with bolt hold open. On my ar the extension always releases the bolt catch.

a charging handle extended lever if you have a scope installed
    TAPnRACK likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tape View Post
    DITTO, since buying the first one I bought this one from eBay for $16.55 here
    works just as well as my 30$ Magpul, it just doesn't have the name imprinted on the button but I can live with that.

disregard this one IMO, What you don't see it the screw on the front with a hole in the middle of the pad which you install a set screw to put pressure on the release to keep it tight. So you have a screw on the back as shown on the picture and a screw in the front that looks like the picture and a hole in the middle which they supply a set screw and allen wrench which you install to keep constant pressure to keep the lever tight. It's not as bad as I'm describing it just seeing the lever and allen wrench is kind of puzzling at first until you receive it because there is no picture of the set screw, it also like a bulk item because what you see is what they put in an envelope and send it to you. I'd pay the extra 10$ for the M'pul. I just received this one today and it works alright but the M'pul is right . I'll use this one on my Colt but if I ever needed another "which I doubt I'll need another" I'll get the M'pul.

Rite-pull grip adapter
    http://www.tacticalcomponent.com/Rite-Pull.htm
    It moves your grip back about 3/4" for folks with big hands it puts the trigger in a more natural position.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads