Hearing Problem after shooting.

This is a discussion on Hearing Problem after shooting. within the Off Topic forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Hello, This is a stupid problem to be having and an even dumber question. I took out my new rem 700 243 to zero the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    loc

Hearing Problem after shooting.

Hello,

This is a stupid problem to be having and an even dumber question. I took out my new rem 700 243 to zero the new scope. I had no problems zeroing in, love the bushnell elite 10x40 by the way. Ok back to the matter at hand. I was using an inner earplug like I always use and now I have had a ringing in my left ear for 16 hours. I figured this has happened to everyone here, so does it go away or should I visit a doctor. Also is this caliber louder than a 308. I have never had this problem before. Thanks.

Well, the ringing means your hearing was damaged, but lots of things can make your ears ring...been to some concerts that left me that way for a while. Still though, if it doesn't get better soon, best ask a doctor about it.

And definately upgrade your hearing protection!
    I am dyslexia of Borg, futility is resistant, your &#* will be laminated.

The People's Moderator!

No need to worry, I have already shot an 11.5 carbine without plugs, (foolish) and also my 16" M4 carbine. The ringing will probably go on for a few days, but it will dissipate. One thing hoss, DO NOT screw around with your hearing. Get yourself one of two things. Either a pair of Comabt Arms plugs that are either the single yellow ones, or the yellow and green ones. These allow you to pick up ambient nose, but will block out gunshots. Or, get yourself something made by Peltor. I like hearing EVERYTHING else BUT gunshots when I am shooting.
    The two most abundant elements in the world are Hydrogen, and stupidity...

loc
    Thanks for the quick response. I am a police officer and I am currently testing for a new posistion and part of the test is a hearing exam. I am really hoping that it comes back before the test. Are the shooting muffs with the speakers worth buying.

loc
    If so what brand

Peltor as mentioned above. They are great!
    Kamrad Tylov

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday."

Full ear defenders are the only real good sound stopper - not ear plugs.

You should wear them even with .22 rifles - as the initial "crack" does damage even if it doesn't sound loud. The only guns that you can get away with less ear protection are the black powder (slower burn) guns that go "FOOOOOOM" rather than "CRACK"

There is an area under the rear of your ear that is still effected by the soundwaves and damage can still be done when you are wearing ear plugs - even the top of the range type.

Electronic ear defenders are fantastic. I use them to train and be trained. It amplifies the slightest whisper, so coaching doesn't disturb other people - yet shuts out the loud noises.

I have come up with a new design though. I drilled a hole in the left and right hand cups of some standard ear defenders, and then fitted a sound valve in there. It works a bit like the electronic type, but just doesn't amplify low noises.
    - - - A good rifleman understands the importance of the .22LR - - -

Well, here is how I see it. I am not a Military, nor Law Enforcement Operative so take what I have to say as you will. I am a firm believer that your hearing along with your vision is a VERY important thing to have. You being a police officer should know this.

Anywho, here are two headphones I think would be good for MOUT or Urban type SWAT ops. Now, these are a little on the expensive side, but I will much rather spend a few bucks and be able to communicate with the commander and other team members and also hear ambient noises and have gun fire blocked out. Here are the two I was thinking of.

This set is a little on the expensive side, $425 if memory serves me correct. These are good because you can have the push to talk or you can add the throat mike for hands free use. These already have the comm capability built in. Orrrr go with these guys.

These are not like the above sets. These have the cabability for you to hook those up to an already existing radio you may have with the proper adapter. Here is the link.
    http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/pro ... Black.html

If you are gonna just shoot, well you can use above mentioned head sets or get a basic pair of them that pic up ambient noise. Wait till you hear through the peltors, you will be IMPRESSED.

+1
    - - - A good rifleman understands the importance of the .22LR - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblack
    Full ear defenders are the only real good sound stopper - not ear plugs.
    Well Raven the ONLY earplugs I have used that are worth a damn are the combat arms. I know, for some they may be a little uncomfortable, but these do well, as they do the same thing the Peltors do, block out harmful noise and not interfere with ambient noise. One of the only plugs I know of able to do this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads