Woman hit by .50 Cal....

This is a discussion on Woman hit by .50 Cal.... within the Off Topic forums, part of the Sniping Related category; From looking at his/their webpage, I hope they understand that Freedom of Speech works two ways. He is absolutely free to speak about his thoughts, ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    From looking at his/their webpage, I hope they understand that Freedom of Speech works two ways. He is absolutely free to speak about his thoughts, but he needs to understand that is opposition is able to speak Freely as well.

Brian

from Mel Moss' page:
    GUN OWNERS AND MARKSMEN

I RESPECT YOUR VIEWS

THERE IS NO REASON FOR YOU TO SEND ME STATISTICS AND UGLY EMAILS, I HAVE HEARD THEM ALL SO YOU CAN STOP NOW AND NOT WASTE YOUR TIME BECAUSE I JUST DON'T HAVE TIME TO READ THEM ALL, SOME ARE REALLY NASTY AS YOU CAN IMAGINE.

SINCE I POSTED THIS SITE NOVEMBER 3RD 2008 WE HAVE HAD 183,357 HITS IN 22 DAYS

TO THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE RESPECTFUL I THANK YOU.

1ST OF ALL LET ME SAY

I AM A GUN OWNER, I'M NOT A COMPETITIVE SHOOTER OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT, MY GUN IS FOR THE PROTECTION OF MY FAMILY AND I DO STRONGLY BELIEVE IN THE 2ND AMENDMENT.

MAYBE IF YOU WERE ON THE RECEIVING END OF ONE OF THOSE ROUNDS AND HAD TO TREAT YOUR WIFE OR CHILD'S MANGLED ARM YOU MIGHT FEEL AS I DO, JUST WHERE DO WE DRAW THE LINE FOR THE PUBLIC, YOU HAVE TO ADMIT THERE ARE A WHOLE LOT OF FOLKS BUYING 50 CALS THAT DON'T KNOW WHAT IN THE HELL THEY ARE DOING, YOU CAN SPEND 10 MINUTES ON YOUTUBE AND FIGURE THAT OUT..

GUN DEALERS HAVE NO IDEA WHO THEY ARE SELLING THESE WEAPONS TO AND THE EXPERTISE LEVEL THEY HAVE AND COULD REALLY GIVE A CRAP LESS, NOW HOW DO I KNOW THAT? I'VE BEEN OUT SHOPPING.

THERE IS MORE TO THIS INCIDENT THAN ANYONE REALIZES AND I CANT TALK ABOUT YET

AN EXPERT MARKSMEN GOES OUT TO A MAKESHIFT SHOOTING RANGE AND SHOOTS SOUTH TOWARD TEXAS MOTOR SPEEDWAY FROM 3 1/2 MILES AWAY ON A DAY WHEN THERE ARE 200,000 GUESTS AND 6000 RV IN THE CAMPSITE WE WERE IN, "IT GETS WORSE" HE SUPPOSEDLY MISSES HIS TARGET IN FRONT OF HIS MAKE SHIFT BERM AT 750 YDS...

YET ACCORDING TO MANY OF YOU I'M THE FOOL

"NOW LET ME SAVE YOU TIME"

I'M A REALIST, I KNOW THE LIKELY HOOD OF BANNING 50 CALS ARE SLIM TO NONE.

I FEEL AT THE VERY LEAST THEY SHOULD BE RESTRICTED TO A CERTIFIED SHOOTING RANGE CERTIFIED FOR 50 CALS

ANY PLACE OUTSIDE OF THAT SHOULD BE ILLEGAL.

NEXT, THE PERSON THAT PURCHASES SUCH WEAPON SHOULD HAVE TO GO THROUGH A 50 CAL TRAINING COURSE BEFORE THEY TAKE POSSESSION OF THAT WEAPON SO HE OR SHE CAN SAFELY FIRE AND OPERATE THAT WEAPON IN A MANOR SO AS NOT TO ENDANGER THE PUBLIC AT LARGE.

AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST DON'T LET ANYONE UNDER 18 OR INEXPERIENCED HANDLE OR FIRE THAT WEAPON

TO FINALIZE YES I'M PISSED AND MAD AS HELL THAT THIS WOULD HAPPEN TO MY FAMILY

WHETHER YOU THINK I'M WRONG, OR MISSED INFORMED AND WASTING MY TIME IS NOT THE POINT, I'M DOING WHAT I THINK IS RIGHT, I'M WORKING THIS OUT IN MY OWN WAY, YOU CAN CALL ME NAMES, YOU CAN EXPRESS HATE TOWARDS ME AND YOU CAN THREATEN ME AS SOME HAVE DONE, BUT SOME OF THE VERY SAME FOLKS WHO SAY THE BELIEVE IN THE BILL OF RIGHTS AND THE 2ND AMENDMENT DO NOT BELIEVE IN THE 1ST AMENDMENT WHICH IS THE FREEDOM OF SPEECH AND MY RIGHT TO SPEAK MY OPINION, THIS IS THE PATH I'VE TAKEN AND I HAVE THAT RIGHT, I WOULD BE WILLING TO TALK TO ANYONE TO DISCUSS TRAINING FOR THIS WEAPON THAT CAN FIRE GREAT DISTANCES, HOW SMALL MISTAKES CAN END IN TRAGEDY, NOT ONLY FOR THE VICTIM BUT THE MARKSMAN HIMSELF, WE CAN WORK ON THIS TOGETHER OR NOT..

THERE HAS NOT BEEN ONE GUN ADVOCATE GROUP REACH OUT TO US "NOT ONE"

DEROGATORY COMMENTS DO NO ONE ANY GOOD BUT IF IT MAKES YOU FEEL BETTER

RESPECTFULLY

MEL MOSS JR

"Just where do we draw the line" he says. The line has been drawn, the .50 BMG is the line, It's the largest caliber weapon a civilian can own without being subject to the NFA. Case closed.

That's the line, now this supposed supporter of the 2A wants to cross it, then what? It's a slippery slope. Would this guy be out crusading against rim-fires if his wife had been hit by a .22 instead? What if a race car had lost control and plowed through their trailer? Would he call to an end to racing? Or would it instead be an unfortunate accident and let go at that?

I feel for his wife, but this man is barking up the wrong tree, he is no supporter of the 2A, and when it comes to your God given Constitutionally protected rights, you either support them, or your the enemy.

Rigger
    I hate to be the cruel hand of reality slapping you across the face but, someone has to do it.

Life's hard, buy a helmet. You're not going to get coddled around here so get over it.

http://www.second-amendment.org/

Just another Texas Nascar watchin redneck with no job exploiting his wife's accident to get attention..

Well, he reads like a reasonable minded man to me.

If the speedway was only 3 1/2 miles from the (make-shift?) rifle range and there was no limit on calibre then I would want to know who allowed a rifle range with no calibre restriction to be positioned so as to line up with a public sports arena only 3 1/2 miles away, or who allowed a public sports arena to be built within the safety boundry of any rifle range that does not have calibre restriction up to and including .50BMG .... :?

I understand this guy is P'd off and I also appreciate the potential threat to shooting that his protest raises ..... BUT, as stated, this is an avoidable situation where a modicum of fore-thought and planning could have resulted in a happy situation for shooters AND car racing enthusiasts.

In NZ, I'm pretty sure the rifle range safety template for .50BMG is seven miles.

If the shooter was not shooting on an approved range then it's on him for not considering his firing zone ...... IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi

If the shooter was not shooting on an approved range then it's on him for not considering his firing zone ...... IMO.
    IF the guy that has come forward on his own is the actual shooter. Police still haven't done any ballistics to close this case or rule him out. He did state that he was shooting on a personnal range - meaning that it doesn't fall under state guidelines since it is on personnal property. This isn't the case of an evil gun, it is possibly a case of bad forethought. I'd put it on par with drinking and driving - a much more common crime that happens everyday. Again, this guy is just trying to milk his wife's accident for all it is worth... what a piece of white trash.

Swede
    USMC '02- '06

"Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands." - Clint Eastwood

"GUN DEALERS HAVE NO IDEA WHO THEY ARE SELLING THESE WEAPONS TO AND THE EXPERTISE LEVEL THEY HAVE AND COULD REALLY GIVE A CRAP LESS, NOW HOW DO I KNOW THAT? I'VE BEEN OUT SHOPPING.

THERE IS MORE TO THIS INCIDENT THAN ANYONE REALIZES AND I CANT TALK ABOUT YET

AN EXPERT MARKSMEN GOES OUT TO A MAKESHIFT SHOOTING RANGE AND SHOOTS SOUTH TOWARD TEXAS MOTOR SPEEDWAY FROM 3 1/2 MILES AWAY ON A DAY WHEN THERE ARE 200,000 GUESTS AND 6000 RV IN THE CAMPSITE WE WERE IN, "IT GETS WORSE" HE SUPPOSEDLY MISSES HIS TARGET IN FRONT OF HIS MAKE SHIFT BERM AT 750 YDS...

YET ACCORDING TO MANY OF YOU I'M THE FOOL"

Why would .... "gun dealers have no idea who they are selling these weapons to" .... ?
    Is it not necessary to show the dealer your valid firearms license before you can buy a firearm in the United States?
    Why would it be the dealer's responsibility to confirm your "level of expertise"? .... surely this is the resonsibility of the license issuing authority.

"THERE IS MORE TO THIS INCIDENT THAN ANYONE REALIZES AND I CANT TALK ABOUT YET " ...... we await enlightenment with interest.

How did the "expert marksman" get a friggin' firearms license in the first place when he is clearly incapable of discerning what shooting in a safe direction is all about?

"AN EXPERT MARKSMEN GOES OUT TO A MAKESHIFT SHOOTING RANGE AND SHOOTS SOUTH TOWARD TEXAS MOTOR SPEEDWAY FROM 3 1/2 MILES AWAY (even with a 20 or 30 cal I'd consider this unsafe) ON A DAY WHEN THERE ARE 200,000 GUESTS AND 6000 RV IN THE CAMPSITE "
    It shouldn't matter how many were at the venue, one should not shoot firearms from private or public land towards people legitimately within that firearm's range.

This is straight out negligent behaviour that get's people upset and quite rightly so .... if I were the woman's husband I'd be very angry with this shooter, but not angry at his rifle.

Kiwi, not many states have a "firearms license".

A government issue photo ID is required to purchase from a dealer (usually a driver's license) and an instant background check is run through the BATFE data base.

Unless one is trying to obtain a concealed carry permit no proof of skill is required and in more than a few states no proof of skill is required to carry a concealed firearm.

Most states require a hunter safety course for minors to hunt with a firearm.

Most states put the responsibilty on the gun owner or more importantly most often but not always on the actual shooter whether or not he owns the gun.

Your point about the shooter being the responsible party in my opinion is a valid one.
    Hawk

Quote Originally Posted by tx_shooter
    I'd put it on par with drinking and driving - a much more common crime that happens everyday.

Swede
    I wouldn't even go that far, I think drinking and driving is far worse. This was a freak accident plain and simple. DUI is premeditated, you know better. This was just a momentary lapse in judgement, and at 3.5 miles, most would think it was perfectly safe, including the government.

Rigger
    I hate to be the cruel hand of reality slapping you across the face but, someone has to do it.

Life's hard, buy a helmet. You're not going to get coddled around here so get over it.

http://www.second-amendment.org/

Do public ranges in the US have a mandated safety template beyond the maximum targets?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Ads