Counter terrorism vs anti terrorism

This is a discussion on Counter terrorism vs anti terrorism within the Off Topic forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I am curious how many here know what the meaning of these are. I DO know. It is a bit of information I remember from ...

Counter terrorism vs anti terrorism

I am curious how many here know what the meaning of these are. I DO know. It is a bit of information I remember from a book I read years ago. :wink: Unless the terms have changed since I read my book and then I will have to eat crow.
    John

1.Humans are more important than Hardware.

2.Quality is better than Quantity.

3.Special Operations Forces cannot be mass produced.

4.Competent Special Operations Forces cannot be created after emergencies occur.

Anti: against terrorism... kind of like a preventitive measure.

Counter: the reaction to terrorism.. like a cure to a disease when the preventitive measure fails.

There are my two guesses off the top of my head.
    Chris

Disclaimer: The views expressed herein are the views of MYSELF and should not be taken as the views of the agency for whom I work for!

Anti terrorisim is a long way away ..... in the Antipodes and Counter terrorisim is really close .... like right on your own counter! ... :shock:

....... just kiddin' ... I agree with Psycho-82 ....

The prefixes mean the same thing, but we have probably assigned an arbitrarily different definition to each word separately. Technically they both mean "against terrorism", but I guess they are used in separate ways.

The prefix "anti" alone doesn't really suggest anything about prevention, and the prefix "counter" alone doesn't really suggest anything about reaction (although it is often used in such a sense).

So unless you can find a difference between the rest of the words (a difference between "terrorism" and "terrorism") then you can pretty much make up whatever definitions you want in addition to "against terrorism".
    Janvier

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." -Wernher von Braun

Quote Originally Posted by Janvier
    The prefixes mean the same thing, but we have probably assigned an arbitrarily different definition to each word separately. Technically they both mean "against terrorism", but I guess they are used in separate ways.

The prefix "anti" alone doesn't really suggest anything about prevention, and the prefix "counter" alone doesn't really suggest anything about reaction (although it is often used in such a sense).

So unless you can find a difference between the rest of the words (a difference between "terrorism" and "terrorism") then you can pretty much make up whatever definitions you want in addition to "against terrorism".
    Yes, by the dictionary you are correct. In general military circles today the term Anti Terrorism tends to be used for preventive measures or forces designed to prevent terrorist activities. Counter Terrorisism generally is used for forces or measures applied after the fact. Counter Terrorism units tend to be units that meet the terrorists face to face.

Swede
    USMC '02- '06

"Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands." - Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by tx_shooter

Yes, by the dictionary you are correct. In general military circles today the term Anti Terrorism tends to be used for preventive measures or forces designed to prevent terrorist activities. Counter Terrorisism generally is used for forces or measures applied after the fact. Counter Terrorism units tend to be units that meet the terrorists face to face.

Swede
    Well atleast someone can explain stuff better then me! :lol:
    Chris

Disclaimer: The views expressed herein are the views of MYSELF and should not be taken as the views of the agency for whom I work for!

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho-82

Well atleast someone can explain stuff better then me! :lol:
    Its no thing man... I've got that shirt. In polo and T. :wink:

Swede
    USMC '02- '06

"Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands." - Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by tx_shooter

Swede
    Bingo

Anti= defensive measures

Counter =Offensive measures.

BTW I was out of town for a couple of days sorry for getting back late.
    John

1.Humans are more important than Hardware.

2.Quality is better than Quantity.

3.Special Operations Forces cannot be mass produced.

4.Competent Special Operations Forces cannot be created after emergencies occur.

Ads