Counter terrorism vs anti terrorism

This is a discussion on Counter terrorism vs anti terrorism within the Off Topic forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I am curious how many here know what the meaning of these are. I DO know. It is a bit of information I remember from ...

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Senior Member ekaphoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    State of Jefferson
    Posts
    4,795

    Counter terrorism vs anti terrorism

    I am curious how many here know what the meaning of these are. I DO know. It is a bit of information I remember from a book I read years ago. :wink: Unless the terms have changed since I read my book and then I will have to eat crow.
    John

    1.Humans are more important than Hardware.

    2.Quality is better than Quantity.

    3.Special Operations Forces cannot be mass produced.

    4.Competent Special Operations Forces cannot be created after emergencies occur.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Psycho-82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    El Paso, Tx
    Posts
    518
    Anti: against terrorism... kind of like a preventitive measure.

    Counter: the reaction to terrorism.. like a cure to a disease when the preventitive measure fails.

    There are my two guesses off the top of my head.
    Chris

    Disclaimer: The views expressed herein are the views of MYSELF and should not be taken as the views of the agency for whom I work for!

  3. #3
    Senior Member Kiwi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    2,352
    Anti terrorisim is a long way away ..... in the Antipodes and Counter terrorisim is really close .... like right on your own counter! ... :shock:


    ....... just kiddin' ... I agree with Psycho-82 ....

  4. #4
    Senior Member Janvier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    505
    The prefixes mean the same thing, but we have probably assigned an arbitrarily different definition to each word separately. Technically they both mean "against terrorism", but I guess they are used in separate ways.

    The prefix "anti" alone doesn't really suggest anything about prevention, and the prefix "counter" alone doesn't really suggest anything about reaction (although it is often used in such a sense).

    So unless you can find a difference between the rest of the words (a difference between "terrorism" and "terrorism") then you can pretty much make up whatever definitions you want in addition to "against terrorism".
    Janvier

    "Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." -Wernher von Braun

  5. #5
    Senior Member tx_shooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    South of DFW
    Posts
    1,337
    Quote Originally Posted by Janvier
    The prefixes mean the same thing, but we have probably assigned an arbitrarily different definition to each word separately. Technically they both mean "against terrorism", but I guess they are used in separate ways.

    The prefix "anti" alone doesn't really suggest anything about prevention, and the prefix "counter" alone doesn't really suggest anything about reaction (although it is often used in such a sense).

    So unless you can find a difference between the rest of the words (a difference between "terrorism" and "terrorism") then you can pretty much make up whatever definitions you want in addition to "against terrorism".
    Yes, by the dictionary you are correct. In general military circles today the term Anti Terrorism tends to be used for preventive measures or forces designed to prevent terrorist activities. Counter Terrorisism generally is used for forces or measures applied after the fact. Counter Terrorism units tend to be units that meet the terrorists face to face.

    Swede
    USMC '02- '06

    "Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands." - Clint Eastwood

  6. #6
    Senior Member Psycho-82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    El Paso, Tx
    Posts
    518
    Quote Originally Posted by tx_shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by Janvier
    The prefixes mean the same thing, but we have probably assigned an arbitrarily different definition to each word separately. Technically they both mean "against terrorism", but I guess they are used in separate ways.

    The prefix "anti" alone doesn't really suggest anything about prevention, and the prefix "counter" alone doesn't really suggest anything about reaction (although it is often used in such a sense).

    So unless you can find a difference between the rest of the words (a difference between "terrorism" and "terrorism") then you can pretty much make up whatever definitions you want in addition to "against terrorism".
    Yes, by the dictionary you are correct. In general military circles today the term Anti Terrorism tends to be used for preventive measures or forces designed to prevent terrorist activities. Counter Terrorisism generally is used for forces or measures applied after the fact. Counter Terrorism units tend to be units that meet the terrorists face to face.

    Swede
    Well atleast someone can explain stuff better then me! :lol:
    Chris

    Disclaimer: The views expressed herein are the views of MYSELF and should not be taken as the views of the agency for whom I work for!

  7. #7
    Senior Member tx_shooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    South of DFW
    Posts
    1,337
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho-82

    Well atleast someone can explain stuff better then me! :lol:
    Its no thing man... I've got that shirt. In polo and T. :wink:


    Swede
    USMC '02- '06

    "Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands." - Clint Eastwood

  8. #8
    Senior Member ekaphoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    State of Jefferson
    Posts
    4,795
    Quote Originally Posted by tx_shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by Janvier
    The prefixes mean the same thing, but we have probably assigned an arbitrarily different definition to each word separately. Technically they both mean "against terrorism", but I guess they are used in separate ways.

    The prefix "anti" alone doesn't really suggest anything about prevention, and the prefix "counter" alone doesn't really suggest anything about reaction (although it is often used in such a sense).

    So unless you can find a difference between the rest of the words (a difference between "terrorism" and "terrorism") then you can pretty much make up whatever definitions you want in addition to "against terrorism".
    Yes, by the dictionary you are correct. In general military circles today the term Anti Terrorism tends to be used for preventive measures or forces designed to prevent terrorist activities. Counter Terrorisism generally is used for forces or measures applied after the fact. Counter Terrorism units tend to be units that meet the terrorists face to face.

    Swede
    Bingo

    Anti= defensive measures

    Counter =Offensive measures.

    BTW I was out of town for a couple of days sorry for getting back late.
    John

    1.Humans are more important than Hardware.

    2.Quality is better than Quantity.

    3.Special Operations Forces cannot be mass produced.

    4.Competent Special Operations Forces cannot be created after emergencies occur.

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-19-2010, 04:58 PM
  2. Idiot behind the counter
    By Ddvant01 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-10-2009, 12:13 PM
  3. Terrorism in India
    By muzzleblast in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 11-30-2008, 03:53 AM
  4. Counter Sniper
    By hlabrake@yahoo.com in forum Optics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-13-2007, 03:32 PM
  5. Awesome come back for anti-war anti-military
    By tenaciousvirgil in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-07-2007, 09:31 AM

Search tags for this page

anti terrorism vs counter terrorism

,
anti terrorism vs counter terrrorism
,
anti terrorism vs counterterrorism
,
anti terrorist sharpshooters
,

counter terrorism vs anti terrorism

,
difference between anti-terrorism and counterterrorism
,
difference between counterterrorism and antiterrorism
,
what is the difference between counter terrorism and anti terrorism
Click on a term to search for related topics.