WHATS THE BEST AND MOST POWERFUL SCOPE?

This is a discussion on WHATS THE BEST AND MOST POWERFUL SCOPE? within the Optics forums, part of the Sniping Related category; S&B 5-25...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    S&B 5-25

Quote Originally Posted by sawhornsoff
    S&B 5-25
    I most certainly love mine! Being If you look really close you can actually see 30 cal holes at 200 yards when set to 5X. Now thats resolution.

When choosing a scope, you really have to be honest with yourself.

Ask yourself these questions:

1. Will you use the scope for hunting? If you are looking for a hunting scope, you are better off with a scope of lower power. A lower power scope will give you a wider field of view which will better allow you to track moving game. Lower power scopes weigh less, so this allows you to carry a lighter rifle into the field. And a heavy rifle can become ill-balanced and more difficult to shoot.

2. For target shooting, you may want a high-powered scope, because field of view is less important at the range. However, optical quality is paramount and a scope of too high a power can hamper you when it comes to mirage. Also with a very high power scope, you notice every slight wiggle and this can be very distracting.

But keep in mind, the most important attributes in a scope are optical clarity, precise adjustability and solid repeatability. It does you no good if your scope has poor quality, murky optics. And if your scope does not hold zero, you will suffer no end of frustration. And you will go crazy if your scope does not adjust as advertised.

A few years ago, I fired a friend's .270 that had a BSA scope. This scope was horrible. It was like looking through a dark beer bottle. It was so frustrating that I found myself hating the rifle and I just didn't want to shoot it anymore.

My advice is that you should buy the very best scope you can afford. And better optics will beat higher magnification every time. To make my point I offer you the following example.

Back in 1996, I shot someone's rifle at the range. Don had a custom Ruger 77. It had a Douglas premium air guage barrel and it was in 7mm-8 caliber. The rifle was topped with a Zeiss 6x42 Diatel scope. Now, 6 power is not a high power scope; however, the optics were so bright, crisp and clear, that it was a thorough pleasure using the rifle. And we were shooting half minute groups all day at 100 and 200 yards.

Don also had another rifle with a Leupold 6x42mm scope and this scope was also very bright and sharp. There is something to be said for fixed power scopes and you can get one at a pretty reasonable price.

Another great thing about both Don's scopes was that the adjustments worked perfectly. I would also suggest that you go to a range and ask the members if you could try out their rifles and scopes.

Mad

start here:

http://demigodllc.com/articles/practica ... ng-optics/

Inside he explains why high magnification is not as important as you might think, why optics quality is more important than you think, and other finer points of choosing optics for long range shooting.

I'm not too sure this guy is serious. He hasn't came back... :roll:

I noticed that myself and he didnt give that much info to go on anyways, oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by ogre
    I'm not too sure this guy is serious. He hasn't came back... :roll:
    I was going to recommend the HST. :lol:
    Professionals that demand nothing less than the best, demand Tac Ops.

NCStar baby.

I got a Simmons Super Sucky Scope 3-9x40 I was gonna pitch, but if you want you can have it for cheap!

:lol:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ads