Best scope and magnification for 500 to 1000 meter shooting

This is a discussion on Best scope and magnification for 500 to 1000 meter shooting within the Optics forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Guys, I am very experienced shooter (handguns, shotguns, assault rifles, etc.), but am new to long range (i.e., 500 to 1000 meter) shooting. I am ...

Best scope and magnification for 500 to 1000 meter shooting

Guys,

I am very experienced shooter (handguns, shotguns, assault rifles, etc.), but am new to long range (i.e., 500 to 1000 meter) shooting.

I am getting a rifle in .300 Win Mag and was wondering about scope recommendations. Specifically, I have been considering a few Leupold scopes as well as scopes with the Horus Vision reticle.

So my questions are.....

1) for 500 to 1000 meter shooting.....what magnification works best? 3.5-10X? 4.5-14X?

2) How good is Horus Vision reticle? The real deal or a Gimmick?

3) Any scope manufactures I should be considering in addition to Leupold? Money is not really an issue for me.

Buy that 300WM I posted in your rifle post and the guy selling it, who is a S&B dealer, will give you probably the best deal you'll find on one. A PMII 4-16 or even a 5-25 would work well on a rifle with the range of the 300WM. 4-16 is my personal favorite for tactical comps as it gives you a good low end and upper power for anything you'll need but with the 5-25 you basicly have a spotter on your rifle. You can dial up to mil and spot and then dial down to shoot.

Horus reticles work but if you wanted one I would recommend getting it in a US Optics scope. Some like them some don't because they think they are too busy. I haven't had enough time behind one to tell either way but I suggest you do before dropping the money on them.

If you wanted something cheaper than a S&B but still wanted a FFP( first focal plane where the reticle gets bigger and smaller as the power is adjusted which allows you to use the mil or MOA reticle on any power) then look at USO. If you didn't care about FFP and can live with a SFP(second focal plane where the reticle stays the same size no matter the power setting but with SFP your mil or MOA reticle will only subtend correctly on one power which is usually the highest although not always)then check out Nightforce scopes as they will be cheaper than the other two but still offer good glass in a tough scope and good reticle choices.

For 500 and longer, get at least 22 power. The Nightforce NXS is the best long range scope for magnums ever made. Look at the 5.5 x 22 version, our S.E.A.L. teams have a sole source contract for these for their 50 BMG's, and they are extremely durable, many of the teams use the R2 reticle, not Mil dots. This scope will outlive your weapon on a magnum. :wink:

Re: Best scope and magnification for 500 to 1000 meter shoot

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis
    Guys,

I am very experienced shooter (handguns, shotguns, assault rifles, etc.), but am new to long range (i.e., 500 to 1000 meter) shooting.

I am getting a rifle in .300 Win Mag and was wondering about scope recommendations. Specifically, I have been considering a few Leupold scopes as well as scopes with the Horus Vision reticle.

So my questions are.....

1) for 500 to 1000 meter shooting.....what magnification works best? 3.5-10X? 4.5-14X?
    Start by reading this:
    http://demigodllc.com/articles/practica ... ng-optics/

2) How good is Horus Vision reticle? The real deal or a Gimmick?

3) Any scope manufactures I should be considering in addition to Leupold? Money is not really an issue for me.
    1) for long range shooting, you have to specify whether you have "all day" to take a shot, and therefore, you can use the highest power scope, or whether you will be shooting rather quickly, and therefore, target acquistion is somewhat equally important as is the magniffication.

The "old" rule of thumb is that you want 1X for every 100 yards of distance (e.g. 5X-10X for thee range specified). My "old" eyes, like about 1.2 to 1.3X (e.g. 6X-13X). The wide end of the zoom range is less important than the long end in actual number. So, in my opinion, teh 3.5-10X is just fine, and the 4.5X-14X is also just fine. Both can get wide enough (less than 5X), and both can get long enough (10X+).

You may want to consider the adjustments {1/4 MoA, 1/2 MoA. 1 MoA, 0.1 Mil,...} in order to balance the need for resulution (smaller adjustments) with the need for speed (larger adjustments) versus how many digits of precision you need to carry around in your head (ballistics); before finalizing your choice.

2) if you have your ballistics tabes in your head, then the Horus reticule is no gimmick, but neither is it a great boon. It does make shooting go faster if you know which of the myriad of cross hair crossing to aim upon.

3) Top tier: Schmidt Bender and US Optics are the leaders in rifle scope optics. Strong, tough, bright, high resolution, and pretty idiot-proof.

In the secon tier we have Night Force, Leupold Mk4, IOR, and maybe a couple of Nikons. And I am sure to have missed a scope or two that should also be recognized in this catagory.

For a while I thought I would want at least 25x magnification for 800+yards out, but now I don't find it really necessary. The field of vision on most scopes that can really do 25x is pretty narrow. This makes target acquisition and follow up shots difficult. If you get something wrong in your calculations or just estimated wind or distance wrong, you might not see how far off the impact was. I have a Mueller scope that goes up to ~25x, but I keep it at less than 16x most of the time so I can see what's going on around the target. Also, that kind of magnification adds $$ to the price of the scope.

Ads