Scope magnification??

This is a discussion on Scope magnification?? within the Optics forums, part of the Sniping Related category; This is my first experence in long range shooting. I am searching for a scope for a new Rem 700P that I will be shooting ...

Scope magnification??

This is my first experence in long range shooting. I am searching for a scope for a new Rem 700P that I will be shooting most of the time 200-500 yards. I want to become proficient to 800 yards and will undoubtedly want to experiment to 1000 yards. My budget is about 1300 for scope, base and rings.

I would love to look at Nightforce, but can't afford to go there. I have been leaning toward Leupold Mark 4s in the 3.5-10x40, 4.5-14x50, or the 6.5-20x50, in mil-dot. My preference is the 3.5-10x40, but I am concernd about having enough magnification for my 55 year old eyes? I don't need to shoot .25 MOA at 1k (I couldn't anyway) but I want capable equipment. I chose mil-dot because I want to learn the system.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Well, I would check out Glen Seekins for rings/bases http://www.seekinsprecision.com His quality and customer service is great and the product is very high quality.

Personally, I shoot a USO which is out of your price range. Mine is a 3.2-17x I know if I can't see it, I can't shoot it. For target purposes, I tend to leave it cranked at 17x. Anyway, both Nightforce and the high end Leupolds are good quality with good optics. Personally, for shooting mostly off a bench, I like having a 17 or 18x top end on a scope. But I've done plenty of shooting with a 3-9x and did quite well there.

So, none of the options you've listed are bad by any means. You may want to see if you can pick up a used scope, since you'll save some $$ that way. In my opinion, the high end scopes are all fine quality and buying used, you may have a mounting mark or two, but that won't affect the function of the scope at all.

You should look into IOR optics. www.valdada.com I have a 4.5-14x50 with the side focus and 30mm tube and love it. Matter of fact im looking at buying another one for my 204. They have excellent customer service.

As a side note, if you become a member of this site for 10 dollars, you would pay for the membership by buying your scope from Mel.

ETA: The MP8 reticle is very useful for mil ranging and the dot in the center is nice to.
    If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.

Thanks. I am a member and I ordered my rifle through Mel. I would like to buy my scope here also.

I have just been so hung up on the magnification question that I am not sure which way to go?

How bout getting a SS10x with some seekins hardware now, then save up for a real nice scope.

The 10x will do you fine out to 1k.

dom
    "A rifle is like a human. The stock is the skeleton, the scope is the eyes, the action is the brain, and the barrel is the heart.
    But you, the man behind the rifle, you are the soul."

-"Practice is a worn out snap-cap." -Yours truly

I have a Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14 x 50 on my Remington. I like it very much.

When I was researching scopes before I settled on this one, I read that often times people like to sometimes get too much magnification. You seem to on the right track in choosing a scope.

A man (6 feet = 72" tall, 24" wide) at 1000 yards in a 10X scope is 2 mills tall, and in a 15X scope 'appears to be' 3 mills tall. At the same time the cross hairs in the 10X scope are 0.05mills wide or just less than 2" at 1000 yards. The torso is close to 30"*24", giving you a 3.0 MoA * 2.4 MoA target; while the head is close to a 0.9 MoA by 0.8 MoA.

So, if you old 55 eyes (same age as me) can see well enough to put the tiny cross hairs on the fairly large target at 1000 yards, the rest (as one might say) is ballistics.

Is it easy, no; but as long as you can resolve the cross hairs (e.g. sharp edges of the reticule drapped on the image) and as long as the image is sharp (e.g. perfectly focused), the actual size of the image is not all that critical. It may be beneficial to increase the magnification somewhat, but this is more for comfort than outright necessity. The fact you are asking about the genera range of 3.5-10X and 4.5-14X shows that you actually DO understand this.

Will more magnification help: Sometimes--well almost always as long as you have a means for dialing the mag back down when the atmosphere goes crappy or you need to shoot at the short end of the rifles range. In benchrest shooting, more magnification does help--but these guys are trying to cut 0.05 from their 0.2" "pattern", and here the size of the reticule can get in the way. Whereas Tactical shooting at long ranges is more about knowing where the rifle will 'print' its pattern (drop and windage) and more about your ability to compute that range and read that windage than about whether the scope is 10X or 14X or whateverXâ„¢.

Seekins rings and 20 MOA base and a Falcon 4-14x44 FFP scope from Mel. With a FFP scope your reticle will subtend correctly on any power and will cover the same amount of the target no matter what power as the reticle grows and shrinks relative to the scope power. Will run you about $625 for everything.

Thanks to Everyone!

Got my quote back and I'll be ordering the Leupold Mark 4, M1, 3.5-10x40. I really appreciate the comments, especially MitchAlsup!

Neat forum and I'm glad to be a member. I'll be trying to learn from the rest of you guys.

Thanks again,

Steve

Ads