Best TACTICAL Scope under $500

This is a discussion on Best TACTICAL Scope under $500 within the Optics forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Gentlemen, Hello, First post here. Looking for TACTICAL glass to put on a SAM-R type rifle for Mid Range (to 600 yards-ish). Further considerations are: ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Gentlemen,

Hello, First post here.

Looking for TACTICAL glass to put on a SAM-R type rifle for Mid Range (to 600 yards-ish).

Further considerations are:

1. It must be side parallax adjustment - Mandatory

2. It must have TACTICAL turrets (by tacticle turrets I do not mean "target knobs" held on by three small, highly stripable and un-repeating set screws) - Mandatory

3. Variable power 4-14X minimun with no higher bottom end than 6X thru whatever, the higher the better (Would love like a 4-20X... I don't recall ever seeing one)

4. Mil-Dot reticle

5. 1/4 MOA

6. Preferably not over 50mm objective diameter

7. Illuminated Reticle wouldn't offend me but not mandatory

8. Matte Finish

9. Under $500

Current scopes I am considering are Falcon Menace Menace 4-14x44mm FFP, Millett 4-16x50mm TRS-1, Looking into the Millett LRS-1 (anybody know anything about these... Pricing???)

PLEASE ENLIGHTEN ME on anything else that I might be missing that fits the model!
    Semper Fi

Tim

Re: Best TACTICAL Scope under $500

Quote Originally Posted by JarHeadTim
    Looking for TACTICAL glass to put on a SAM-R type rifle for Mid Range (to 600 yards-ish).
    3. Variable power 4-14X minimun with no higher bottom end than 6X thru whatever, the higher the better (Would love like a 4-20X... I don't recall ever seeing one)
    You only need 6X to shoot at 600 yards, 10X is enough to compensate for poor eyesight, 14X is really pushing the envelope, and only benchrest shooting would ever use something as great as 20X for 600 yards.

Can I intrest you in something closer to 3-10X?

I know I'm new here, and I do value all opinions, but I am by no means a novice.

Even though my eyes aren't what they used to be I recently made Master in NRA High Power competition. So while I can shoot 192's @ 600 with iron sights it's not optimum. I am a member of a gun club with a 600 yard range and do a fair amount of "mid" range shooting. Here's what I know about my self, the better I can see something the better chance I have a chance of hitting it. IMHO to shoot 1 MOA targets @ 600 yards requires more than 6X and I know in my case my Leupold VXIII 8.5-25x50 is just about right for me.

So please tell me how the significantly lower magnification will benefit me...
    Semper Fi

Tim

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JarHeadTim
    So please tell me how the significantly lower magnification will benefit me...
    Try and understand that a forum that caters to “snipersâ€
    Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason...

Slick,

I hear you. Field of view isn't a big priority for me and based on my experience I can accomplish anything I need to for rapid target acquisition with 4-6 power at the ranges I would be using this rifle.

What is more important to me is accurate bullet (77 Gr. SMK) placement on a 6"x6" target to 600 and slightly beyond (I'm sure you can all figure out what I mean by the 6"x6" without me spelling it out any further).

S/F
    Semper Fi

Tim

For the price range you've laid out, the Falcon 4-14 would be my choice, and breaking slightly out of that range I would give a Bushnell 4200 6-24x50 Tactical a try. I think the Bushnell is about $500-550.

-matt
    Hidden Content
    Ordnance System Designs, Inc.
    Stay tuned for details.

Be worthy of your freedom and of the sacrifice of those who protect it.

Super Sniper scopes are supposed to be pretty good. Haven't really had a chance to try one

All I can say about considering Millet is the advice given to me was right. IF you get a good one fine otherwise you'll be like me sending them back since April and now I think they are ignoring me. Hard depressing lesson learned.

I know that everybody's experience is going to be different. But I got a TRS-1 from a gunstore a while ago. Mounted in on my rifle, went to boresight it, and the reticle didn't even move! Luckily the store took the scope back minus a $20 "restocking fee". Even though I didn't feel I should have to pay a fee for them to take back their defective scope, it's better than nothing. I like to think of that $20 as tuition. The lesson I learned was to never do business with Millett or that gunstore again.

I've looked for similar, and have really been eyeing the Falcon Menace 4-14x44, Burris XTR 3-12x50, Millet TRS 4-16x50, Bushnell 4200 Tactical, and Leupold 3.5-10x40. These were choices I was looking at for a relaxing varminter.

For the DMR AR I'm (slowly) building, I'm thinking something more in 2.5-8 range, such as the Leupold MR/T.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ads