Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

What is better Varible Power or Fixed Power Scopes

3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Niles Coyote 
#1 ·
Hello Folks,
As you can see I am a new member to Sniper Central and also new to tactical rifle shooting. I recently purchased a DPMS LR 308 with the 24" fluted barrel to move into tactical shooting. I am a hand gun hunter and have used them with scopes in the past, but now I shoot iron sights only.

My question is, what is best for this perticular rifle and best to learn to shoot long distance? I hope to some day be able to reach 600 yards consistantly. 75% of my shooting with this rifle will be at the range, the other hunting.

I want but can not afford an IOR, I would like to keep it around $500 or less. I think having side focus would be helpful, as I wear glasses and definantly a Mil-Dot rectical in a 30mm tube.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated

#3 ·
Maybe a Menace 4-14x44 FFP? It seems to tick all the boxes:

14x magnification will take you out to 600 yards quite happily, it has a Mil-dot reticle, 30mm tube, and side focus. Also for when you hunt, because the reticleis in the first focal plane, the mil dots are always correct, so you can use any hold overs at any magnification whilst hunting, without worrying about changing the zoom. And its less than $500!

http://www.snipercentral.com/menace4.htm

#4 ·
A long time ago (70s) variables wer neither as good optically nor as good mechanically as fixed scopes.

In the mid 1990s optical programs got to the cost structure (free) where any (sane) optician would use an optics optimizing program. Thus, by the turn of the century (a while ago) there is/was no longer any optical reason for not getting a variable scope. Its all become a mater of execution (and materials).

Mechanically, there is only 4-5 more moving parts in a variable, the outside lever, the seal, the rotating tube with the cams milled out, and the erector group(s) which slide in the tube by means of the cams.

Modern high quality variables are A) as good optically, B) as rugged mechanicaly as fixed scopes available today (unless you are anticipating having the scope run over by a tank.

#5 ·
Try the Nikon Monarch in 3x12x42 with BDC reticle takes you out to 500 yds with 100 yd zero 600 should not be a problem with 200 yd zero. I have one mounted on a 110 savage 30-06 ...awesome scope.

#6 ·
I greatly prefer a variable power if its going to by use hunting as I'd hate to try and find game in the area I hunt with a straight 10 or 16 power scope. But then most of my hunting shots are close range, well under 200 yards. If you want a mildot reticule there are several companies out there that have model in your price range. If you want external adjustments, that narrows the field a bit. Bushnell, super sniper and falcon (I’m sure there are others I cant think right now) all do. You can add nikon, millet and burris if you don’t care about the external adjustments.

Side focus is not something just for eye glass wearers, it adjusts the parallax which effects all users and is great for shooters who are shooting at targets up close (50 yards) and way out there (several hundred). The older style parallax adjust was on the objective lens housing. Side focus just makes it a little easier to adjust while staying behind the rifle as you don’t have to try and balance the rifle while you adjust the lens with your support hand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.