EOTech

This is a discussion on EOTech within the Optics forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Wow, what makes these optics so damned expensive. I was looking at the 553 (IIRC), and there in the neighborhood of $600. Is there something ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EOTech

EOTech

Wow, what makes these optics so damned expensive. I was looking at the 553 (IIRC), and there in the neighborhood of $600. Is there something i dont know about these that makes a red dot scope that much? I have never looked through one, would it be worth it to go check one out?

yes it would, do a match with it on compared to others and you'll see the difference... same thing with an ACOG... hard to find those kind of matches though
    Nothing is certain but death and taxes.

They cost a lot because they work on an entirely different principal than a "red-dot" sight. Unlike a red-dot, it doesn't matter where you have the image of the reticle (in the window) for the shot placement to be accurate. Also, there is NO light projected through the front of the sight that could give away the shooter's position.

Before you buy one I'd highly recommend that you look through an actual EOTech (in person), because if you have any astigmatism it will interfere with your ability to use this type of scope.
    Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason...

Slick, Aimpoints are parallax-free as well. But you are correct that the EOTech is holographic, and AP is reflective LED. So the technology is different.

Wow, what makes these optics so expensive. I was looking at the 553 (IIRC), and there in the neighborhood of $600. Is there something i dont know about these that makes a red dot scope that much? I have never looked through one, would it be worth it to go check one out?
    Because they are worth it! Really if you are thinking of getting a red dot you should look through one.
    If you can see the big picture, you are not concentrating on your front sight post.

I beat on mine during a work up and a 7 month deployment and never lost zero and as beat up as it got the only thing I had to do was change batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by Slick
    Before you buy one I'd highly recommend that you look through an actual EOTech (in person), because if you have any astigmatism it will interfere with your ability to use this type of scope.

How so???? I have astigmatism and I can use one with no problem at all. Just curious as to why you say this.

First time i've heard anyone state this. To top it off I have one in both eyes and also wear contacts.

Never a issue with Aim points either.

Again just curious.

Thanks

Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by Altramagnus

How so???? I have astigmatism and I can use one with no problem at all. Just curious as to why you say this.

First time i've heard anyone state this. To top it off I have one in both eyes and also wear contacts.
    You are lucky! After I looked through my (then) brand-new EOTech, I thought it was "bad". After a bit of minor searching on the Internet, I found out this was actually a very common problem (even though I'd never heard of it before either).

Anyways, I "looked" through my EOTech again (using my camera) and found out my EOTech is just fine and that neither my contacts or glasses correct for my astigmatism. That you can use an EOTech without problems tells me that your prescription corrects for your astigmatism or that your's is far less severe than mine.

I simply recommended that anyone who is considering the purchase of an EOTech to look through one first just because this problem isn't widely discussed..
    Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason...

Quote Originally Posted by Altramagnus

You are lucky! After I looked through my (then) brand-new EOTech, I thought it was "bad". After a bit of minor searching on the Internet, I found out this was actually a very common problem (even though I'd never heard of it before either).

Anyways, I "looked" through my EOTech again (using my camera) and found out my EOTech is just fine and that neither my contacts or glasses correct for my astigmatism. That you can use an EOTech without problems tells me that your prescription corrects for your astigmatism or that your's is far less severe than mine.

I simply recommended that anyone who is considering the purchase of an EOTech to look through one first just because this problem isn't widely discussed..

Thanks for filling me in Slick, as I said this was the 1st i've heard of this issue.

Maybe this is the cause of some saying they think they are fuzzy? All this time no one ever said or put 2 & 2 together.

Shawn

I have astigmatism too, had no problem when I had mine.
    The two most abundant elements in the world are Hydrogen, and stupidity...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ads