EOTech

This is a discussion on EOTech within the Optics forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Wow, what makes these optics so damned expensive. I was looking at the 553 (IIRC), and there in the neighborhood of $600. Is there something ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: EOTech

  1. #1
    Senior Member Turbodls1TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hiding in your bushes
    Posts
    514

    EOTech

    Wow, what makes these optics so damned expensive. I was looking at the 553 (IIRC), and there in the neighborhood of $600. Is there something i dont know about these that makes a red dot scope that much? I have never looked through one, would it be worth it to go check one out?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    477
    yes it would, do a match with it on compared to others and you'll see the difference... same thing with an ACOG... hard to find those kind of matches though
    Nothing is certain but death and taxes.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Slick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The Leftist Coast
    Posts
    844
    They cost a lot because they work on an entirely different principal than a "red-dot" sight. Unlike a red-dot, it doesn't matter where you have the image of the reticle (in the window) for the shot placement to be accurate. Also, there is NO light projected through the front of the sight that could give away the shooter's position.

    Before you buy one I'd highly recommend that you look through an actual EOTech (in person), because if you have any astigmatism it will interfere with your ability to use this type of scope.
    Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason...

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    35
    Slick, Aimpoints are parallax-free as well. But you are correct that the EOTech is holographic, and AP is reflective LED. So the technology is different.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Buckeye_308's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    222
    Wow, what makes these optics so expensive. I was looking at the 553 (IIRC), and there in the neighborhood of $600. Is there something i dont know about these that makes a red dot scope that much? I have never looked through one, would it be worth it to go check one out?
    Because they are worth it! Really if you are thinking of getting a red dot you should look through one.
    If you can see the big picture, you are not concentrating on your front sight post.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sanford, NC
    Posts
    224
    I beat on mine during a work up and a 7 month deployment and never lost zero and as beat up as it got the only thing I had to do was change batteries.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick
    Before you buy one I'd highly recommend that you look through an actual EOTech (in person), because if you have any astigmatism it will interfere with your ability to use this type of scope.

    How so???? I have astigmatism and I can use one with no problem at all. Just curious as to why you say this.

    First time i've heard anyone state this. To top it off I have one in both eyes and also wear contacts.

    Never a issue with Aim points either.

    Again just curious.

    Thanks

    Shawn

  8. #8
    Senior Member Slick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The Leftist Coast
    Posts
    844
    Quote Originally Posted by Altramagnus
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick
    Before you buy one I'd highly recommend that you look through an actual EOTech (in person), because if you have any astigmatism it will interfere with your ability to use this type of scope.

    How so???? I have astigmatism and I can use one with no problem at all. Just curious as to why you say this.

    First time i've heard anyone state this. To top it off I have one in both eyes and also wear contacts.
    You are lucky! After I looked through my (then) brand-new EOTech, I thought it was "bad". After a bit of minor searching on the Internet, I found out this was actually a very common problem (even though I'd never heard of it before either).

    Anyways, I "looked" through my EOTech again (using my camera) and found out my EOTech is just fine and that neither my contacts or glasses correct for my astigmatism. That you can use an EOTech without problems tells me that your prescription corrects for your astigmatism or that your's is far less severe than mine.

    I simply recommended that anyone who is considering the purchase of an EOTech to look through one first just because this problem isn't widely discussed..
    Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason...

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick
    Quote Originally Posted by Altramagnus
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick
    Before you buy one I'd highly recommend that you look through an actual EOTech (in person), because if you have any astigmatism it will interfere with your ability to use this type of scope.

    How so???? I have astigmatism and I can use one with no problem at all. Just curious as to why you say this.

    First time i've heard anyone state this. To top it off I have one in both eyes and also wear contacts.
    You are lucky! After I looked through my (then) brand-new EOTech, I thought it was "bad". After a bit of minor searching on the Internet, I found out this was actually a very common problem (even though I'd never heard of it before either).

    Anyways, I "looked" through my EOTech again (using my camera) and found out my EOTech is just fine and that neither my contacts or glasses correct for my astigmatism. That you can use an EOTech without problems tells me that your prescription corrects for your astigmatism or that your's is far less severe than mine.

    I simply recommended that anyone who is considering the purchase of an EOTech to look through one first just because this problem isn't widely discussed..

    Thanks for filling me in Slick, as I said this was the 1st i've heard of this issue.

    Maybe this is the cause of some saying they think they are fuzzy? All this time no one ever said or put 2 & 2 together.

    Shawn

  10. #10
    Senior Member Shuggerz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    The "Keystone "
    Posts
    1,351
    I have astigmatism too, had no problem when I had mine.
    The two most abundant elements in the world are Hydrogen, and stupidity...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

bushnell banner 3.5-10x36

,
bushnell banner 3.5-10x36 review
,
eotech distorted image
Click on a term to search for related topics.