20 MOA Canting on 2 peice scope mounts??

This is a discussion on 20 MOA Canting on 2 peice scope mounts?? within the Optics forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I can't seem to find a clear answer in OPTICS on this. I have the 6x24-40mm Elite Bushnell scope. I set my zero at 200 ...

20 MOA Canting on 2 peice scope mounts??

I can't seem to find a clear answer in OPTICS on this. I have the 6x24-40mm Elite Bushnell scope. I set my zero at 200 yards but only have 7.5 MOA of adjustment left? That will allow me to only zero out to around 450 yards or so. I belive I need a 20 MOA Cant on my scope to zero out to 1000 yards? Saying that and having 2 peice scope rings how do you cant them properly? If shims are used would they not need to be angled for both rings so it dose not try to bend the tube. In angled I mean each shim is compinsated for the cant to still keep the tube not in a bind and the shims would have a front & rear. Do I need to get a different scope mount or can this be done correctly with 2 peice mounts? Thanks, Mark

You'll need new bases, refer to your other post in this section, Rob01 has some good Intel for you.

Rigger
    I hate to be the cruel hand of reality slapping you across the face but, someone has to do it.

Life's hard, buy a helmet. You're not going to get coddled around here so get over it.

http://www.second-amendment.org/

Re: 20 MOA Canting on 2 peice scope mounts??

Quote Originally Posted by Willy-N
    I can't seem to find a clear answer in OPTICS on this. I have the 6x24-40mm Elite Bushnell scope. I set my zero at 200 yards but only have 7.5 MOA of adjustment left? That will allow me to only zero out to around 450 yards or so. I belive I need a 20 MOA Cant on my scope to zero out to 1000 yards? Saying that and having 2 peice scope rings how do you cant them properly? If shims are used would they not need to be angled for both rings so it dose not try to bend the tube. In angled I mean each shim is compinsated for the cant to still keep the tube not in a bind and the shims would have a front & rear. Do I need to get a different scope mount or can this be done correctly with 2 peice mounts? Thanks, Mark
    Yeah, just get a 20-MOA canted base and you'll be gold. You'll have to run the numbers i.e. amount of elevation travel vs. cant, but you might even consider a 30-MOA base if you can find one that will work for your rifle - they make them, but not as readily available in all the various config's as the 20-MOA.

I have Ken Farrell's two-piece 20-MOA base on my Rem 700 in .338 Ultra and they've worked beautifully. I'd also suggest his rings as well - built like a tank! http://www.kenfarrell.com/ Check 'em out!

Hope this helps!

Ryan
    .260 REM / AI Stock / Premier Heritage 5-25
    .308 Tikka T3 Tactical / USO SN-3 T-Pal
    6.5 Grendel Alexander Arms / Falcon Menace 4-14
    .223 AR-15 DPMS / ACOG w/Red Dot
    Bunches of other rifles, pistols, n' shotguns

That wont work as the scope only has 30 MOA of internal elevation. If he puts the 20 MOA base on he will not be able to zero at 100 or 200 and it will be closer to 300.

As I said in the other thread, get your money back for the scope and mounts and get a new one. That scope won't work for what you want

Quote Originally Posted by Rob01
    That wont work as the scope only has 30 MOA of internal elevation. If he puts the 20 MOA base on he will not be able to zero at 100 or 200 and it will be closer to 300.

As I said in the other thread, get your money back for the scope and mounts and get a new one. That scope won't work for what you want
    Only 30 MOA of adjustment i.e. 15 MOA of elevation? Ouch! Yeah, if you want to do anything long range your gonna have to get another scope entirely,... unless your shooting a laser-beam

Ryan
    .260 REM / AI Stock / Premier Heritage 5-25
    .308 Tikka T3 Tactical / USO SN-3 T-Pal
    6.5 Grendel Alexander Arms / Falcon Menace 4-14
    .223 AR-15 DPMS / ACOG w/Red Dot
    Bunches of other rifles, pistols, n' shotguns

Ads