What would you recommend?

This is a discussion on What would you recommend? within the Optics forums, part of the Sniping Related category; What would you put on a savage 10fp le2 with accutrigger and a bipod set up(if that info helps), it is the 20 inch barrel ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What would you recommend?

What would you put on a savage 10fp le2 with accutrigger and a bipod set up(if that info helps), it is the 20 inch barrel version..... What scope to get me out to the farthest(possible w/ this version of rifle) without spending thousands of dollars....? Any info would be appreciated.

Need a little more info first. What are you going to be shooting at, paper or animals? A .308 will shoot out to 1,000 yards but to start you probably won't be going that far, what is the average range you will shoot? What is your budget? The common wisdom is to buy as much scope as you can afford. I can recomend scopes starting at a couple fo hundred or a Swarovski for a couple of thousand and many in between.

Check out Mel's scope reviews, should give you an idea of what's out there and what you get for your money.

Again it is the 20 inch barreled version, and my main target will be paper. Although, I may pull the trigger @ same live game here and there with it. I would like to have a scope capable of putting some lead @ 700 yards or so. I am definatly looking for a scope in the several hundreds with a cap of oh say 500 or so. Give me your input, and I appreciate your time...

The Super Sniper 10x42 will do great for you http://www.swfa.com/c-231-super-snip...le-scopes.aspx

For a little more you can get a Bushnell 4200 Elite with variable power.

new scope

just bought a howa 1500 .308 20" heavy barrel varminter and it came with a nikko sterling platinum nighteater 4-16x44 scope. but i want a better scope. im leaning towards getting the bushnell elite 3200. theres nothing wrong with the nikko sterling but i dont like the fact that i cant find lens caps for it, and i also liked the review the elite 3200 received and the price of the scope is easy on my wallet too. if you think that the nikko sterling is a better scope please let me know..... i cant find a review on the web for it.
    Focus on your ability, not the equipment, because it is YOUR ABILITY to place the rounds you choose to carry in your gun that will determine whether you live or die in a gun fight.

Re: What would you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by unknown
    What would you put on a savage 10fp le2 with accutrigger and a bipod set up(if that info helps), it is the 20 inch barrel version..... What scope to get me out to the farthest(possible w/ this version of rifle) without spending thousands of dollars....? Any info would be appreciated.
    I have a 20" .308 and if it's anything like mine, and few other .308 shooters I know, there will be a trade-off between accuracy and velocity. While 1000 yards is definately doable out of a 20" .308, you'll find that you'll have to really 'spank' whatever bullets you're shooting with a heavy charge to get them out there with any sort of energy. With that said, I wouldn't go with too high a power scope (+20x) - you just won't need it.

I'd definately look at one of the Falcon Optics scopes, they're definately a deal for the price - $395.00 last I checked. I have a Falcon Menace 4-14x44 with FFP ML-16 Reticle on my 6.5 Grendel AR-15 and it's great! While it's adjustments aren't as crisp and optics aren't as clear as some of my other scopes that cost three-to-five times as much, it's a whole lot of scope packed into a reasonable price. For me, the criteria for any scope is the following:

Good clear optics
    Good Variable Magnification
    Tactical Reticle (MilDot or MOA) on Front Focal Plane (FFP)
    Good Elevation/Windage adjustment - not too mushy and plenty of travel
    Good Paralax Adjustment (side adjustment prefered)
    Sturdy (takes abuse and holds zero)

The Falcon Menace does all of these in spades! While it will NEVER be a substitute for a U.S. Optics, S&B, Nightforce, Zeiss, Leupy,...etc. it's not meant to. The thing I like about the Falcon is that even though it might not achieve the quality of the high-end scopes, it has all the FEATURES of the high-end scopes, i.e. Tactical Reticle on FFP, Parallax on the side, Elevation/Windage knobs, clear optics,...etc. Usually, at this price point, you'll only get a few of the features at marginal quality.

In any case, Falcon is definately worth a looksee

Ryan
    .260 REM / AI Stock / Premier Heritage 5-25
    .308 Tikka T3 Tactical / USO SN-3 T-Pal
    6.5 Grendel Alexander Arms / Falcon Menace 4-14
    .223 AR-15 DPMS / ACOG w/Red Dot
    Bunches of other rifles, pistols, n' shotguns

To reach 1000yds, you need to have the bullet leaving the muzzle at about 2950fps w/ a 20" barrel. With a 24 - 26", around 2750 - 2800fps is fine. Just for comparison.
    Shaun aka "Quick"
    Two Rocks, Western Australia

Remington 700 "Custom Marksman" .308 Win
    Sportco M44 7.62x51mm NATO
    Anschutz 1416D HB .22LR
    CZ 452 Deluxe .22LR
    1944 VKT M39 7.62x54R
    1920 Lithgow SMLE No 1 MK III* .303 British
    S&W M&P 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by Quick
    To reach 1000yds, you need to have the bullet leaving the muzzle at about 2950fps w/ a 20" barrel. With a 24 - 26", around 2750 - 2800fps is fine. Just for comparison.
    Uh, NO!

Velocity is velocity. Barrel length makes no difference at that point.

Driving a .308 at those speeds (Except for a 155 Scentar) is really pushing things, perhaps to the point of failure. 2625 - 2650 for a 175 HPBT will get you to 1k most days. The 155 is the best bet for most folks as they go out in the 2750-2800 range. The goal is to stay super sonic to 1k, given temp, altitude, etc.

Ok sorry, I should said that thats mostly for 155gr bullets. I only use 155s soo thats why I quoted that data.
    Shaun aka "Quick"
    Two Rocks, Western Australia

Remington 700 "Custom Marksman" .308 Win
    Sportco M44 7.62x51mm NATO
    Anschutz 1416D HB .22LR
    CZ 452 Deluxe .22LR
    1944 VKT M39 7.62x54R
    1920 Lithgow SMLE No 1 MK III* .303 British
    S&W M&P 9mm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads