MOA or Milrad

This is a discussion on MOA or Milrad within the Optics forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Shane, I'm using my USO spotter to view hits. It has the MOA reticle - which works great w/ my turrets, but not w/ my ...

View Poll Results: MOA or Milrad

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • MOA

12 30.77%
  • Milrad

19 48.72%
  • Iron sights

0 0%
  • I shoot from the hip

8 20.51%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MOA or Milrad

Shane,
    I'm using my USO spotter to view hits. It has the MOA reticle - which works great w/ my turrets, but not w/ my buddy's.

What is considered more 'advanced' in the aspect of math - MOA or mils?

Mils don't have anything to do with the metric system. You can mil targets in inches or centimeters and get data in yards or meters. Depends on the formula you use. I use inches and yards all the time with my mils.

What type of math? The actual ranging formulas? Neither is easy enough to do in your head unless you are using very basic numbers. Get a mildot master and it will range in either MOA or mil.

You also see the problem with using two systems with two shooters. Mils are more prevalent in tactical shooting at this time so most people on the line will give corrections in mils but there are some MOA shooters out there.

You can run data in either form as most all ballistic programs allow that. I run mine on JBM in mils and I get my elevation and wind in mils. It's easy. If you already have MOA data it's easily changed to mils by dividing it by 3.45. So if you need 2.25 MOA to get to 200 yards that is now 2.25/3.45= .6 mils.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob01
    You also see the problem with using two systems with two shooters. Mils are more prevalent in tactical shooting at this time so most people on the line will give corrections in mils but there are some MOA shooters out there.
    Why are more people using Mils rather than MOA? I always thought it was the other way around?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob01
    . You can mil targets in inches and get data, Depends on the formula you use. I use inches and yards all the time.
    (I modified your quote)

Rob I'm sure you have stated this before but, would you mind writing this math formula out again.

Thank you.
    ***SPF***

SOLD PENDING FUNDS!

Quote Originally Posted by pazzo
    Shane,
    I'm using my USO spotter to view hits. It has the MOA reticle - which works great w/ my turrets, but not w/ my buddy's.

What is considered more 'advanced' in the aspect of math - MOA or mils?
    I would call them equal. What are you trying to do? I would make a cheat sheet ahead of time or just bring a pocket calculator. If you want to go from MOA to Mils you divide by 3.438 to go from Mils to MOA multiply by 3.438. So if at 500 yards you need to come up 13.5 MOA and you want to know how much to hold in your mil reticule divide 13.5 by 3.438 =3.9 Mil (I usually truncate) If he says you need to come up 4 Mils multipy that by 3.438 = 13.75 MOA. Neither are really that hard.

If you think in Centimeters you may find Mils easier because you can quickly see a target is 180cm or 1.8 meters then fit that in your formula easier than trying to figure out how tall an object is in yards.

If you think in inches you may find MOA easier because you can look at something and estimate its height in inches and plug that into your range estimation formula and come up in yards.

They both really use the same formulas just different constants. If you don't have to convert the size of your target to something else you are a step a head of the game. If its the same as your reticule and turret adjustments then you are golden. I hope that helps.
    What's in a name? That which we call a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet.
    - William Shakespeare

Thanks Shane.
    I'll have to just make a JBM chart showing Mils/MOA

[
    Why are more people using Mils rather than MOA? I always thought it was the other way around?
    I should have been more specific. More people are using mil reticles but mil knobs are coming up more now as people want matching systems and scope makers are listening.

Boone here are the formulas

Height of Target (yards) x 1000 = Distance (yards)
    mils

Height of Target (inches) x 27.78 = Distance (yards)
    mils

Height of Target (inches) x 25.4 = Distance (meters)
    mils

Height of Target (meters) x 1000 = Distance (meters)
    mils

Height of Target (cm) x 10 = Distance (meters)
    mils

Height of Target (inches) x 95.5 = Distance (yards)
    moa

Height of Target (inches) x 87.32 = Distance (meters)
    moa

Height of Target (meters) x 3437.75 = Distance (meters)
    moa

Height of Target (cm) x 34.37 = Distance (meters)
    moa

Height of Target (inches) x 100 = Distance (yards)
    s- moa

Height of Target (inches) x 91.44 = Distance (meters)
    s- moa

Height of Target (meters) x 3600 = Distance (meters)
    s- moa

Height of Target (cm) x 36 = Distance (meters)
    s- moa

Rob,
    If I spend the money on a Nightforce or S&B with MOA reticle & MOA turrets, will I have issues w/ everybody switching over to Mils, or will people eventually buy MOA.
    (this sounds ridiculous, I know) :roll:

Rob,
    If I spend the money on a Nightforce or S&B with MOA reticle & MOA turrets, will I have issues w/ everybody switching over to Mils, or will people eventually buy MOA.
    (this sounds ridiculous, I know) :roll:
    Beta vs. VHS, 8 track vs. Cassette, Bluray vs. HDVD and now Mil vs. Moa only the crystal ball can tell you what is going to be more popular. Its not hard to switch between the two. Rob gave you all the formulas with their respective constants. I think both will be around for a while. I don't think it matters which you choose only that you learn to use it. Having your turret adjustments match your reticule is a huge plus. It like asking what is better Spanish or Italian, it just depends on who you are talking to and where you are. If you deal with both it helps to be able to translate between the two. I don't know that one is inherently better than the other.
    What's in a name? That which we call a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet.
    - William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by shane4639
    what is better Spanish or Italian
    Oh no... I'll give you ONE guess which is BETTER!!!!?

My username should answer that for you

:wink:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Ads