MOA or Milrad

This is a discussion on MOA or Milrad within the Optics forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I'm looking at purchasing a Nightforce or S&B scope, and want to see what the consensus says is better - MOA or Milrad. The scope ...

View Poll Results: MOA or Milrad

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • MOA

12 31.58%
  • Milrad

18 47.37%
  • Iron sights

0 0%
  • I shoot from the hip

8 21.05%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MOA or Milrad

MOA or Milrad

I'm looking at purchasing a Nightforce or S&B scope, and want to see what the consensus says is better - MOA or Milrad.

The scope I use now has 1/4 MOA turrets and MILDOT reticle, but I really want one of the above mentioned scopes w/ MOA turrets and MOA reticle.

My shooting partner uses Milrad turrets and swears by them. He's a mathematically inclined person, I'm not. But I am a very fast learner and can grasp all things :P

So what do I want? and more importantly, why?

He's a mathematically inclined person, I'm not.
    Take heart even Marines can learn to use MilDots so how hard can it be?

:wink: :wink:
    You thought I've been joking but you'll be sorry when the Star Cruisers arrive!

Quote Originally Posted by POGO57

WOOW..Slow down there sunny jim, I am seriously thinking about spending the next good chunk of my life with them, if not more.Now lets just play nice, ok?
    #2 Infidel
    Jeff Dorr...Gone but not forgotten

Next builds:
    "Black and scary assault sniper rifle"
    "machine sniper pistols that spray bullets from clips"...Thanks CNN,NBC & CBS

Depends on what you prefer. a Mil/Mil or MOA/MOA is easier, no conversion to calculate at all. But MOA/Mil can be done, just takes practice.
    Shaun aka "Quick"
    Two Rocks, Western Australia

Remington 700 "Custom Marksman" .308 Win
    Sportco M44 7.62x51mm NATO
    Anschutz 1416D HB .22LR
    CZ 452 Deluxe .22LR
    1944 VKT M39 7.62x54R
    1920 Lithgow SMLE No 1 MK III* .303 British
    S&W M&P 9mm

Its 3.438 of one and 0.304 of the other. :wink: They are both just angles. I think I can safely say that MOA is the measurement of riflemen, and Mils are the measurement of an artilleryman. If I were using artillery or talking to someone using artilery, I would want Mils, if I were shooting rifles only, I would probably choose MOA, just because its a smaller angle. Its not hard to convert from one to the other.

Its easier for me to think in MOA, just because I can use SMOA and get close. I would use whatever is most common with the people you shoot with. I think its a big plus to have your turrets and reticule match. I use MOA and Mils without any trouble. I don't think one offers any huge advantage over the other.
    What's in a name? That which we call a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet.
    - William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by POGO57

Bite my shiny metal :twisted: ! - Bender

But between MOA or Mils - don't try to reinvent the wheel. MOA work just fine for what your doing, shooting a rifle. Mils are an answer to a question that just isn't there. Take the time you would of used converting numbers back in forth - and use it on a wind call or angle cosine. There are so many other factors that require a couple seconds of thought that I'd not muddy up the water converting numbers unless I had to. Just my 2 cents.

Swede
    USMC '02- '06

"Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands." - Clint Eastwood

Either will work fine but make sure the knobs match the reticle. That way when you see impacts you can just dial in the difference if you didn't want to just hold for the next shot.

I use mils. All my data is in mils. There's no math to using mils any more than MOA except when ranging and then you can just use a mildot master, which also works with MOA.

It just seems strange that there would be two different systems

Like I said, I use MOA and my shooting partner uses Mil's :?

We have the same rifles, use the same handloads, have pretty much all the same gear - EXCEPT DIFFERENT RANGE CARDS :cry:

This sucks when either one of us forgets our data or logbook...

All the MK4 scopes I have used have had Mil reticules and MOA turrets. I get around the problem by making a range card with adjustments in both. That would fix your problem as well. As has been mentioned it works best when your turrets are the same as your reticule. You and your shooting buddy should be able to sing off the same sheet of music. Like many I tape my range card to the side of my buttstock. Its tough to forget it that way.
    What's in a name? That which we call a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet.
    - William Shakespeare

I don't think either is inherently better. Depends on what you're used to estimating sizes in, inches or centimeters, but with practice you can be proficient in either. My nightforce and wotac are in moa but my rangefinder and premier heritage are mil. The only complaint I have about moa is that 1 moa isn't precisely 1 inch at 100 yards and can throw off your calculations by about 5% if you use a true moa reticle like nightforce's. Personally I prefer mil because everything is in powers of 10 but I don't always have the choice with my scopes.
    Walther P99 9mm/AAC Evo
    Noveske Afghan AR15/WOTAC 4-14/Ops Inc 12th
    Desert Tactical SRS 338/TBD/Tac Ops 338
    Tac Ops Tango/Hensoldt 4-16/Tac Ops 30

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Ads