Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

Curious Novice: MOA Reticle v. Mil-Dot Reticle

4K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  MikeD. 
#1 ·
I've tried searching through the forums and have yet to find a post that answers my question. Admittedly, my question is geared more towards my curiosity than understanding.

OK, 1 Mil = 3.43775 MOA (or 3.438 MOA), and 1 MOA @ 100 yards = 1.047 inches. Thus, 1 Mil @ 100 yards = 3.599 inches (or 3.6 inches).

My question is "Why are Mil-Dot reticles so popular when MOA is a more exact measuring unit?"

If this question has been answered by a previous post, please inform me.

#2 ·
There is an interesting and very informative article by Zak Smith, referenced below, at demigodllc.com. He changed the page format recently, so each link below, when you get to the page, has 7'ish total pages to click through, vice one large page.

http://demigodllc.com/articles/practica ... equipment/

http://demigodllc.com/articles/practica ... ng-optics/

http://demigodllc.com/articles/practica ... -shooting/

Taken from the second article above, under optics, on page 6, is a brief discussion for mil vs moa... here is the quote:

"MIL vs. MOA
In principle, either system can be used. If you're thinking about or communicating elevation values (for example looking at data and then dialing or holding off), a typical elevation value in MOA for 308 looks like "11.25" which is four digits, but the same mil-based would be just "3.2" or two digits. (In fact you can go out to over 1000 yards before needing more than two digits of elevation in mils.) This is less information to process."

#3 ·
Thats interesting. Ok, why do they insist on using Mil dot reticules and MOA adjustments, its seems that a MIL/MIL setup would be the best. Now I know that it happens today, but why is it not as common??

#4 ·
You don't use a whole mil when using a mil reticle for ranging or holds. They are broken down to .1 mil which is .34 MOA and with practice miling you can get down to .05 mil which is .18 MOA. When using MOA reticles you also break it down to half MOA or if you are good to .25 MOA.

Both units can be used equally well. The mil units have become popular over the years as they are used by the military and you know how people like to have military tech in their rifles and scopes. So for that reason alot more poeple have mil reticles as they are offered more in scopes than MOA, which are only offered by a few companies like Nightforce or USO.

More importantly than which reticle you go with is to have your reticle and adjustments the same. It makes life much easier on the shooteras they don't have to do conversions in their heads. You see you are off .5 mils low with your shot then you just dial on .5 mils on the elevation. No converting mils to MOA. Same goes for MOA. Also you only need one chart for elevation or holds as the data is the same. No MOA data for elevation and mil data for holds in your reticle.

#7 ·
Sometimes when discussing/comparing things it can get a bit overthought.

At 600 yards the difference between dailing 11.25 and 11 is 1.3". Now I'm sure there are many guys who can see and shoot the 1.3" difference at 600, but in all the excellent shooters I have met I cant recall any who claims to be able to do just that.

For most of us mortals .5MOA is as fine as we'll go and Keep It Simple Stupid still rules, though an E-6 in class yesterday said its been changed to Keep It Simple Sir in the modern army!!!

I can see where a beginner looking in on MOA/Mil scopes would wonder why the mix. I prefer the 'cruder' MIL scale for measuring at distance, less dots to count, and with practise the system can be refined well enough. The main thing is if you think in inches then the process to go from the reticle to the scope adjustment knobs passes through 'inches' and thats where the shooter easily changes tracks.

We have students show up with most any scope you can think of. For me partnering up with most all but the MIL/Mil scope is easy enough. (even the Shepard)

I guess the MOA/Moa is good for a more target, spot through your own scope sort of deal and MOA/Mil just seems to work under various lowlight, stress, rapid/mulitple engagement type stuff.

Bottomline in this is learn how each works before deciding what you can use the best and then practise your b*tt off...

With that I am off to the range, we are going to shoot movers before it gets to be 100 and WHAT??!! today. Thats one place where I REALLY like Mil reticles over MOA, but thats oneplace where I dont hold sub MOA, nor try to...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.