Zeiss Victory PRF Review

This is a discussion on Zeiss Victory PRF Review within the Optics forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I recently picked up a Zeiss Victory PRF 8x26 laser range finder and have been running it through it's paces. I picked up my unit ...

Zeiss Victory PRF Review

I recently picked up a Zeiss Victory PRF 8x26 laser range finder and have been running it through it's paces. I picked up my unit from the used market. However the unit was/is in very good shape and and lightly used. My initial impression of this unit was very favorable with its solid feel, clear optics, and ease of use.

I picked up my unit via private sale from another user on the hide. The unit was lightly used and looked brand new and came with all the original packaging and accessories. My evaluation of this product was done in Sam Houston National Forest. This area offered me a variety of environments to test this unit in including dense forest, shoreline, and open terrain.

My initial impression of this LRF unit was very good. The unit is lightweight and feels solid in my hands. When you first look through the optics you will notice a very nice clear high resolution image, one that is worthy of the Zeiss name. The reticle is without a doubt the best I have seen in a LRF. When ranging targets the readings are consistent and fast. The read out is a red LED and is easily readable.

This LRF has some nice features that I found very nice. First off it will read in both meters and yards. It also has a scan mode that refreshes the units readings every 1.5 sec and automatically shuts off in 40 seconds. Zeiss has also included a ballistics computer into this unit which I have not used, however from what I know this software has limited use due to the tables not being customizable and only good out to 500 yards/meters.

My testing included obtaining reading from from all modes and in a variety environments. I started my testing on the northern shores of Lake Conroe. This gave me amble amounts of room to really see what this little unit could do at distance. During this test I obtained both static readings and readings in the scan mode. I found that I was able to accurately and reliably get readings from about 800 meters to about 1100 meters. From there I repeated the process on some of the pipeline ride-a-ways in the forest and was again not disappointed to was able to get consistant readings from signs ranging from 196 meters to just over 700 meters. Finally I preformed the same type of evaluation in the dense wooded areas of the park. And again came away with positive results with distances as short as 15 meters.

Zeiss has produced an excellent little unit that will undoubtedly perform to expectations if not exceed them. It is also well worth the price tag of around $700 and they can be found used for under $600. Given the price and performance this unit provides I would certainly say it is money well spent.
    Recognize what is in your sight, and that which is hidden from you will become plain to you.

Sum dominus fati: sed sum princeps meae.

aixelsid1002 I really don't plan on using the ballistics computer anytime soon. The problem with that feature is that the unit only has 8 tables built into it (4 metric and 4 imperial). So rather then the tables being customizable you simply have to pick the one the most closely resembles your ballistics. And unfortunately none of the tables even come close the ballistics of my rifles (the curse of magnums w/ high BC bullets).
    Recognize what is in your sight, and that which is hidden from you will become plain to you.

aixelsid1002 you might be able to talk me into that. I'm out of the game until my new rifle is completed (end of year hopefully). Thus if you can get a review done within 30 days your welcome to try out the ballistics tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Longshot38
    aixelsid1002 I really don't plan on using the ballistics computer anytime soon. The problem with that feature is that the unit only has 8 tables built into it (4 metric and 4 imperial). So rather then the tables being customizable you simply have to pick the one the most closely resembles your ballistics. And unfortunately none of the tables even come close the ballistics of my rifles (the curse of magnums w/ high BC bullets).
    This is true, but there are some other options. Depending on which distance you sight the rifle in at (100 yds, 100m, 3" high at 100 yds) you can get pretty close. I'm spot on for one of my loads and 3" out at 500m with my other.

The downside is that it gives holdover in inches. This does not help anyone when it is like 100 inches!

Greg

I've been high on the victory PRF for quite sometime. It's my favorite LRF and most importantly, the feedback on this unit has been extremely positive from our customers. We have many in stock.

Scott
    Scott Berish
    Liberty Optics LLC
    A Sponsoring Vendor of Sniper Central
    www.libertyoptics.com
    "See Better, Shoot Better"
    406-890-2714
    Scott@LibertyOptics.com

Ads