Magnification for reaching out 600-1000 yards?

This is a discussion on Magnification for reaching out 600-1000 yards? within the Optics forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I hear lots of varying opinions on necessary scope power to reach certain distances (600-1000 yards). Is 4-14-50mm sufficient vs. 6-20-50mm? How much is just ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Magnification for reaching out 600-1000 yards?

I hear lots of varying opinions on necessary scope power to reach certain distances (600-1000 yards). Is 4-14-50mm sufficient vs. 6-20-50mm?

How much is just going overboard and wasting money?

I have a fixed 10 power scope, and I sometimes wish I could dial it up a bit more...

that being said, I have succesfully hit stationary targets at 1k many times, and most of the time I find the magnification to be satisfactory.

I am debating upgrading to something like 4-14var, but I know my habits well enough to know that I do not need or want a 25x scope.

my .02

Magnification is is irrelevant (provided you have good eyes). There are plenty of shooters that routinely shoot to 1000 yards on irons. Having quality internals and glass has more to do with being successful at distance then magnification. So in the words of Fluffy, DBAS, buy a scope with quality glass (nightforce, Sightron, S&B, Preimere, etc.....) and don't worry with magnification.
    Recognize what is in your sight, and that which is hidden from you will become plain to you.

Sum dominus fati: sed sum princeps meae.

Quote Originally Posted by Longshot38
    Magnification is is irrelevant (provided you have good eyes). There are plenty of shooters that routinely shoot to 1000 yards on irons. Having quality internals and glass has more to do with being successful at distance then magnification. So in the words of Fluffy, DBAS, buy a scope with quality glass (nightforce, Sightron, S&B, Preimere, etc.....) and don't worry with magnification.
    +1 Quality trumps magnification. I would rather have a 2.5-10x Nightforce than a 6-24x BSA/Tasco/Nc Star etc. That said having a quality scope with a little more magnification isn't a bad thing either I like a 3.5-15x range.

Great feedback, thanks folks.

I found most of the time i like shooting 1k set on 14x seems to giveme some really good results.

Tom

Center of mass steel targets - 14x works very well. Paper punching for groups at 1000 yds... may want more magnification and a fine reticle. Depends on application

John
    "Those who do not study history are destined to repeat it."

"Pray for me cause I have lost my faith in holy wars... Will I learn what's truly sacred?
    Will I redeem my soul? Will truth set me free?" - Sharon den Adel

I'd like to have a Nightforce variable with 42x on the high end. Just can't afford it.

Can't help but remember what Jim Carmicheals wife said one day. She was used to high magnification scopes benchresting. He gave her one with a 10X on it and she balked and asked what she was supposed to do with it. She said she might as well be using iron sights.

I agree.

The reason those shooters do so well with irons at 1000 yards is because the target is so big.

I think you would find a 42x pretty much a waste of money for 1K. AFter getting tons of feed back on trying to find a spotter scope, nothing high power is going to work at that range consistantly. After very early moring or late evening, the mirage pretty much wipes out anything with a high power once the sun starts hitting the ground.

Benkeith
    I would agree with you if we were talking about a fixed power. There are some shooters who can deal with mirage at these power settings, but I'm not one of them. Winters aren't so bad.

He was talking about variables which I prefer and re-edited to clear that up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ads