Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

BDC reticle or Target turrets?

8K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  cttbax 
#1 ·
Gday everyone hows about shedding some light on BDC reticles versus a plain reticle with target turrets.

I am not a rich man, being an apprentice helping his missus through law at uni is not an easy task, so effectively i'm looking at bottom end scopes namely the nikko stirling range more so the targetmaster with the LRX reticle.

Please dont tell me what I already know about saving more and spending more on a kick ass scope. Money does not come easily to me and me being able to spend it on myself happens even less so just the best bits of reticle verse turrets or both (as in the nikko).

I shoot a stock standard rem 700 SPS-V and for a production gun it shoots very well. I can drop roo's at 300 meters with clean chest shots using fiocchi's with v-max projectiles (under government issued permits for control of over grazing, thanks Shooter65) and i would like to be able to stretch this out further with better glass.

My current mount is an old Pecar Champion 8x and while good is getting a bit beyond it so could anyone please advise on ranging reticle versus target turret

Thanks very much everyone, cheers

See less See more
#3 ·
You *can* use BDC's *if* you know their value and they give you the range you're looking for.

Run JBM or Exbal for your Load. Figure out what you need for the range you're shooting. See if the holdovers will get you there. You may have to do some digging to find out the mil or MOA equivalents of the BDC.

or

You'll have to take it out and shoot it at different ranges and use field data to "learn" your BDC ranges.

If I was in your shoes, I'd buy an inexpensive MilDot scope so you *know* what your holdovers really are *and* you can hold wind. If you can swing $400US the Vortex Viper 6.5-20 MD is a very good value.

John

#4 ·
Last year, I found a Nikon Team Primos 3-9x40 with the BDC in BPS's bargain/return area and bought it for $175 to go on granddaughers rifle. We didn't like it. The optics are nice but we were only punching paper. While it was ok, the cross hairs are too thick and past 200 yds, it might work ok for shooting something the size of a deer, but not much good for shooting tight groups in the the center paper targets. We only used it about a month, then took it off an put a Sightron SIII 8-32x56.

A couple of weeks ago I bought her a Tikka T3 to hunt with and we put the Nikon on it. Shot the Tikka, Nikon setup this past weekend and still not careing for the heavy recticles but I did hit a five inch steel plate at 500yds, five shots in a row, but that was not really using the BDC the way it's suppose to be. The rifle was zero'd at 200 yds and just made an educated guess using the BDC as a guide. We will be shooting it a lot for the next couple of months, so will have a better idea if really like it or not. This is keeping in mind, the Tikka is for deer hunting, which is more of what the scope is really intended for.

My next scope will be an MOA recticle. I've played with the MOA and the Mil dot and I prefer the MOA much more. Granted in a tactical situation the Mil dot would be better because the rectical/Dots are much more visable, but for me, that's the reason I don't like the Dots. If I loose the rectical against a target with the MOA because of adverse conditions, my life or somebody elses is not going to be on the line.

#5 ·
BenKeith said:
Last year, I found a Nikon Team Primos 3-9x40 with the BDC in BPS's bargain/return area and bought it for $175 to go on granddaughers rifle. We didn't like it. The optics are nice but we were only punching paper. While it was ok, the cross hairs are too thick and past 200 yds, it might work ok for shooting something the size of a deer, but not much good for shooting tight groups in the the center paper targets. We only used it about a month, then took it off an put a Sightron SIII 8-32x56.

A couple of weeks ago I bought her a Tikka T3 to hunt with and we put the Nikon on it. Shot the Tikka, Nikon setup this past weekend and still not careing for the heavy recticles but I did hit a five inch steel plate at 500yds, five shots in a row, but that was not really using the BDC the way it's suppose to be. The rifle was zero'd at 200 yds and just made an educated guess using the BDC as a guide. We will be shooting it a lot for the next couple of months, so will have a better idea if really like it or not. This is keeping in mind, the Tikka is for deer hunting, which is more of what the scope is really intended for.

My next scope will be an MOA recticle. I've played with the MOA and the Mil dot and I prefer the MOA much more. Granted in a tactical situation the Mil dot would be better because the rectical/Dots are much more visable, but for me, that's the reason I don't like the Dots. If I loose the rectical against a target with the MOA because of adverse conditions, my life or somebody elses is not going to be on the line.

I must agree.. the BDC reticle is CLUTTER! I had...HAD a nikon 5-20 SF with BDC reticle and sold it down the line.... it did not work for me.. the lines were too thick.

My scope I just bought is a MOA reticle and IPHY adjustments, its a Us Optices sooo I am waiting 8 weeks for it. I have a loaner USO that is the MPR reticle with mil/mil adjustments, even though they are both in mils, its still confusing to me. One inch at a hundred yards just makes the math easier to me...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.