MOA vs. Mil-Dot Reticle

This is a discussion on MOA vs. Mil-Dot Reticle within the Optics forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I was laying on a hill with the SN-3 w/ MOA reticle and I found it very easy to measure people at long distances (650 ...

MOA vs. Mil-Dot Reticle

I was laying on a hill with the SN-3 w/ MOA reticle and I found it very easy to measure people at long distances (650 yards) because the MOA reticle has 15 dashes, each representing 2 MOA.

I haven't used the mil-dot system yet to range things, but it seems like it would prove less accurate given that you have to 'guesstimate' so to speak re: the fractions of a mil-dot an object is occupying.

Anyone find the same (that mil-dots might be harder), or think another reticle is the end-all be-all?

Scatch Maroo
    Every 53 hours a police officer is killed, and a fireman sleeps soundly.

Recoil is practical.
    It makes God proud of you.
    So then He smites your enemies.

Mil scale accuracy depends

The original MIL DOT reticle was developed for sniper application for shooting large (60-80 inch) Targets. This meant that the target was 1.5 to 2 mils high at 1000 yards. Fairly easy to scale.

But competition and other functions meant that miling needed to be done to .5 and smaller targets. This appears to me to be the genesis of the Gen2 reticle with 1/2 mil divisions. This helped some, but the proper use of the mil or even Gen 2 requires considerable skill and sharp eye sight. Sniper Competition is forcing the shooters to develop a high degree of ability with these technologies.

So the answer as usual is "it depends on what you want to do!"

Biggest advantage of the MOA style reticles used by Horus, USO, Nightforce and others is the consistency of units between the knob and the reticle.

Never did understand why US manufacturer's started putting mil or metric reticles in their scopes without changing the knob scale similarly.
    "No experience is so conductive to steady and accurate shooting as the knowledge of the impossibility to escape by speed."

Sir Samuel Baker (Via Jeff Cooper)

One of the changes made to the design was to leave the vertical line thin and let it continue down to 40 MOA. From 30-40 would have 1 MOA subtents and then at 40 MOA there would be an additional line that extends 10MOA to the right. This would give the shooter a 10 MOA by 10 MOA scale to use for ranging purposes.

For example a man that is 72" tall reads 8 MOA. The formula for ranging in MOA would be:
    size of target x 100 / MOA read
    72"x100=7200/8MOA = 900 yds

If he reads 14 MOA then 72x100=7200/14MOA = 514 yds

and if he has a total of 30 moa then 72x100=7200/30MOA = 240 yds

I personally think the formula is simple. Add 2 zero's to the size of the target and divide that by the MOA read and you have the yardage.
    example 1 = 900 yds - my gun asks for 28 MOA for 900 yds. I can dial in the 28 MOA or just put the 28 MOA hash mark on the target and execute the shot.
    example 2 = 514 yds - my gun wants 11 MOA for that range. I put the 10 MOA mark on top of the target and 12 MOA mark on the bottom and squeeze the trigger.
    example 3 = 240 yds. My gun wants 2.6 MOA here. I put the 2 on top side of the target and 3 on the bottom side, centering my target between the 2 hash marks and make the shot. I have just ranged and engaged 3 targets and never dialed any elevation. I think the system is great!

www.ThePracticalMarksman.com
    The proper application of a weapon in a practical situation.

For long range gear and reloading components check out our estore
    www.freedomgunworks.com

Soon you will be able to have a true MOA scale reticle in your Leupold scopes as well! :lol:

www.freedomgunworks.com

kgunz, that sounds like a great idea, who has it?
    Bead Drawer

As I understand it this reticle is in development with Premier as an add on to Lupy or other scopes.

I'm in strongly favor of the reticle, but prefer to see the hashes reduced to .100 MOA in width (at magnification in my 3-22 SN3, .125 MOA obscures a bit too much target, especailly at long range)

JeffVN
    1976-1980
    2/2 Echo, 2/2 STA, 3/9 STA, SCAMP

That is correct Jeff, it is in development with Premier Reticles but will only be available in Leupold scopes. Has all the same characteristics as the Gen II reticle or others installed by Premier. Prototype should be available by the first of the year. At that time I will take lots of photographs actually looking thru the scope so everyone can see it.

www.freedomgunworks.com

Ads