Optic for LMT .308 MWS

This is a discussion on Optic for LMT .308 MWS within the Optics forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Hello SC. I was hoping the vast experience of SC could help me out with a little dillema. I am looking for a proper optic ...

Optic for LMT .308 MWS

Hello SC.

I was hoping the vast experience of SC could help me out with a little dillema.

I am looking for a proper optic to mount to my up-and-comeing LMT .308 MWS build

https://www.lewismachine.net/product...926d5fec0ed93c

The rifle will be used for accurate semi-auto "hits" on a man sized target from 100yds to say 800yds with the occasional 1000yds shot. Im not looking for crazy accuracy, just pretty darn good for what the rifle is.

The "wants" I have astablished thus far are...
    - decent magnification. (say around 20X)
    - FFP
    - Illuminated reticle
    - BDC

I've been looking at Leupold, Nightforce, Pride-Fowler RR-900 (interesting). But your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The budget will be hopefully under $2000. The rifle isnt cheap so I dont mind spending some dough on it though a $3000 USO or S&B is out of the question.

So SC, What say you??
    Remington 700 SPS Tactical
    Falcon Optics 4-14x44 ffp
    EGW 20 moa, Burris XTR
    Harris 6-9 notched, swivel
    Tac Ops bold knob & cheek pad thing

I just purchased my second Trijicon AccuPoint TR23-2G 5-20x50 with Mil-Dot Crosshair and Green Dot (Yellow Dot on the 1st one) earlier today. List is $1225 but I got both mine for $780 each. You'll be hard pressed to find a better scope even if you spent hundreds more.

BDC?

This is quite possibly the most backwards over-publicized elmer fudd "feature" of modern optics. The idea that having a reticle or turrets created specifically for a certain round under all conditions with all rifles at all elevations is laughable to any long range shooter that fully understands what they are doing. Period. There is no real discussion to be had about it.

You need a reticle that matches your turrets. I prefer mils, others prefer moa.

Vortex razor 5-20 is under your price range and comes in mil/mil/ffp configuration with excellent reticle choices.

SCAR Heavy with the ADS mount recommended by Orkan along with the Trijicon 5-20.

Quote Originally Posted by Orkan
    BDC?

This is quite possibly the most backwards over-publicized elmer fudd "feature" of modern optics. The idea that having a reticle or turrets created specifically for a certain round under all conditions with all rifles at all elevations is laughable to any long range shooter that fully understands what they are doing. Period. There is no real discussion to be had about it.

You need a reticle that matches your turrets. I prefer mils, others prefer moa.

Vortex razor 5-20 is under your price range and comes in mil/mil/ffp configuration with excellent reticle choices.
    What he said. Lose the BDC and learn how to run your scope.

Seeing that an S&B is out of your price range check out the Vortex Razor. Everything you want minus the BDC but the knob is tall enough that you can tape on your own BDC if you really feel it's necessary. It can be had in MOA/MOA or Mil/Mil configs. If you want to get it get ahold of Scott at Liberty Optics www.libertyoptics.com and he will give you the best deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Bimotabiker
    List is $1225 but I got both mine for $780 each. You'll be hard pressed to find a better scope even if you spent hundreds more.
    Where did you find one for so cheap?

Nice SCAR btw. I think they look nicer in black.

After reading more, I agree with ditching the bdc idea. I have also been looking at the vortex razor HD as previously mentioned. They seem to be the hot new thing and appear to be a wonderful scope. I would like to look through and play with one before purchasing but that's not always possible. I thing it would do well atop the lmt.
    Remington 700 SPS Tactical
    Falcon Optics 4-14x44 ffp
    EGW 20 moa, Burris XTR
    Harris 6-9 notched, swivel
    Tac Ops bold knob & cheek pad thing

Ads