Scope setup on Rem. 700 .308

This is a discussion on Scope setup on Rem. 700 .308 within the Optics forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Hey everyone, I'm new to the long range shooting world and have several questions regarding my scope setup on a new Remington 700 sps varmint ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Scope setup on Rem. 700 .308

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the long range shooting world and have several questions regarding my scope setup on a new Remington 700 sps varmint .308. I have been hunting and shooting my whole life but have never gotten into long range shooting. I have other rifles for hunting so this one will be used for some long distance hunting, but primarily for fun shooting and learning how to accurately shoot at the longest distances possible.

My rifle is on order and I am now trying to decide which bases, mounts, and scope to start with. I am the DIY kind of guy so I plan on building this rifle on my own and would rather learn the hard way than pay someone else to do it for me and not know anything about my own setup. I'm thinking Burris Xtreme mounts and a SWFA SS 10X42mm. Is this a good choice in scopes or should I look into getting a variable power scope for shooting out past 5 or 6 hundred yards? Any info or comments regarding these items will be greatly appreciated.

I have no clue as to what base I should get but from my research I think a 1 piece picatinny rail seems to be pretty much standard. If anyone wants to shed some light on a good base I would appreciate that as well.

I'm trying to stay on as tight of a budget as I can but I don't want crappy equipment so if I need to save up for things I'm in no rush. Also I plan to put a Bell & Carlson Tactical adjustable stock and detachable Mag on her but I think the scope should come first so I can get out and send some lead down range.
    :lol:

I need all the info I can get so if anyone has any suggestions or comments let them roll.

Many Thanks.

Looks like you are headed in the right direction.
    Whatever scope you have should have enough UP moa to shoot out to 1000 yards. If you put a 20MOA base on, that adds 20 of UP to whatever the mfg provides. To find the amount of UP, take the total MOA of elevation and divide by 2. Then add the 20 you get from your 20moa base. So if the scope has 50MOA of elevation adjustment, you will have 25 plus 20 = 45moa. A 308 takes about 30-35moa of elevation to shoot out to 1000 yards, so 45 is enough. Enough UP moa to shoot to 1000 yards is essential, so don't compromise there and make sure you have 40moa of UP minimum, IMO. That means at least 45moa of elevation adjustment, minimum

EGW has good bases for reasonable price. The Burris tactical rings work find though the Seekins are the best (but more expensive).

You can probably get by with a fixed 10 power scope but most of us like the variable power scopes better.

Take a look at the Nikon 4.5-14 Buckmaster. It has excellent optics and a mildot reticle, moa knobs and can be found for about $300. Great price on a decent tactical mildot scope. There are lots of other choices.

First of all, welcome....

I sort of followed the same path that you are about to travel. My base rifle is the 700 SPS tactical.

The first change for me was the stock. i went with the Bell & Carlson A2. The next change was the trigger group. I went with an old style Remington trigger. Then rings and glass, detachable bottom metal (Wyatt DBM), and an extended bolt knob. Since my scope (WoTac 4X14X50) has 80 MOA, I went with the 0 MOA EGW Picatinny rail.

After I shot this set up for awhile, I realized I needed to skim bed the B&C stock. This drmatically increased the accuracy of this rifle.

Ive got about $1600 invested, and I couldn't be more pleased. The rifle shoots under .5 MOA with Federal GMM 168 SMK's:

Thank you guys for the info. I think i am going to go with a variable power scope. I dialed one of my nikon hunting scopes up to the highest power (9) and decided I may need a little more than 10 power and also that it would be nice to have the lower powers just in case I ever need them. I think I am going to go with the EGW base and once I figure out which scope to get i'll base my MOA of the mount on whatever the scope has.

Crockett007, how do you like the WOTAC? It seems to have pretty good reviews and it's got a pretty price tag on it. Maybe I will consider getting one for my rig.
    Also thanks for the pics thats a sweet looking gun and similar to the "vision" I have for mine. I like the Wyatt DBM and since it's made to fit in the B&C already it kinda seems like a no brainer.

I also checked out the Nikon and have always had Nikon scopes so I may follow suit and take your advise Sniperaviator. I have a million choices of scopes it seems like but I definitely don't want to skimp on that so I'm going to keep researching it. I hope to order one soon so when I get it set up ill let you guys know how everything goes.

Thanks again for your help.

A lot of people rate the Wotac scope and I couldn't disagree with them as I have never seen one but your suggestion of the SS fixed 10 power scope I have had and could not really fault it on anything other than the glass.

Now bear in mind it was a $299 scope! and is now around $330 with reportedly better glass so if it's conducive with your budget then go for it .... I was shooting 9"x3" bricks at 1000 meters using the x10 SS and seeing and holding on the bricks was not difficult.

As for rail and rings, I have 20 MOA Badger Ordnance rail and a set of their 30mm rings and can't fault them either. I have Burris Extreme 30mm rings on one of my FALs and they too are doing what they are meant to do with absolutely no issues.

If you are heading into long range shooting I would recommend getting into reloading if you don't already and to acquire an anti-cant bubble level for your rifle also.

I do like my rifle to have a DBM and got that by using the AICS stock ... not cheap but has the DBM integral.

Kiwi,

I don't reload yet but I have a feeling it won't be long. I have been researching it and I'm sure some reloading tools will be the next purchase on the good ol Cabelas visa. LOL as I said earlier in the post I'm a DIY guy and have always built my own arrows for bowhunting and 3D shooting so I guess I'll have to start doing the same with my bullets. I'm glad to hear that about the SS. I was concerned about how the 10X would be out that far. Now im back to square one and still torn between what scope I should get... Oh well i guess it's a good problem to have because either way I'm getting a new one for my new gun

:lol:

Quote Originally Posted by j9mcgaha
    Thank you guys for the info. I think i am going to go with a variable power scope. I dialed one of my nikon hunting scopes up to the highest power (9) and decided I may need a little more than 10 power and also that it would be nice to have the lower powers just in case I ever need them. I think I am going to go with the EGW base and once I figure out which scope to get i'll base my MOA of the mount on whatever the scope has.

Crockett007, how do you like the WOTAC? It seems to have pretty good reviews and it's got a pretty price tag on it. Maybe I will consider getting one for my rig.
    Also thanks for the pics thats a sweet looking gun and similar to the "vision" I have for mine. I like the Wyatt DBM and since it's made to fit in the B&C already it kinda seems like a no brainer.

I also checked out the Nikon and have always had Nikon scopes so I may follow suit and take your advise Sniperaviator. I have a million choices of scopes it seems like but I definitely don't want to skimp on that so I'm going to keep researching it. I hope to order one soon so when I get it set up ill let you guys know how everything goes.

The WoTac Gen V does everything I ask of it. I have close to 800 rounds on this set up now. No problems. Steel out to 600 yds is a breese. The tracking is perfect, glass is good.

The nice thing about the scope for me is you can range either mil/mil or moa/moa. Of course, Matt Wonders is a hell of a guy, and personally stands behind every scope.

I use Nikon for my hunting rigs as well, you can't go wrong there. Good luck with your project and make sure you get some pics on the boards and keep us posted on the build.

regards,

Steve

the wotac is a great scope for the money. keep us posted on your build.

regards

steve

Crockett,

What exactly does skim bedding mean and what is the advantage of it?
    Did you do it yourself?

Crockett,

What exactly does skim bedding mean and what is the advantage of it?
    Did you do it yourself?
    Even though HS Precision and B&C provide an aluminum bedding block, you will find that it is not perfectly concentric to a typical Remington receiver. I checked my set up by using dry erase marker on the bedding block, then torqueing my action down. When I removed it, it was very evident that there were several high spots along both radaii.

This resulted in stress on the receiver, and an effect on accuracy. The benefit of skim bedding, is forming an epoxy barrier that perfectly mimics the radius of the receiver, and when under torque, no stress.

The second benefit is in the recoil lug well in the stock. Before bedding, the action would move up to .450 fore and aft until tightened down. Now, the recoil lug is a snug fit, and the action is repeatable when taken in and out of the stock. The action screws line up perfectly.

The bolt actuates smoother now, there is a huge difference in how"smooth" the action is, because it is stress free. Of course, groups and long range accuracy have vastly improved.

regards

Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads