Advice Sought: NC Star Mark III Tactical Series 3942G 3-9X42

This is a discussion on Advice Sought: NC Star Mark III Tactical Series 3942G 3-9X42 within the Optics forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Anyone ever use the NC Star Mark III Tactical Series 3942G 3-9X42? I am considering buying one. I can not afford a Trijicon for each ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Advice Sought: NC Star Mark III Tactical Series 3942G 3-9X42

Anyone ever use the NC Star Mark III Tactical Series 3942G 3-9X42? I am considering buying one.

I can not afford a Trijicon for each of my ARs, so I am looking for an inexpensive, yet functionally sound 3X9 for them. The scope has to be quick detach Picatinny so that if it fails, I can yank it off and flip up my irons quickly.

I think that the built-in BDC would be helpful and since there is only about a 2.4" difference in the ballistic path of a 55 grain and 62 grain bullet, I'll be able to hit plates with it using either round.

I would appreciate suggestions on alternatives if you don't like this scope for some reason.

Thanks!

NC Star, ATN, Counter Sniper. They all make nice targets.
    Recognize what is in your sight, and that which is hidden from you will become plain to you.

Sum dominus fati: sed sum princeps meae.

Quote Originally Posted by Longshot38
    Counter Sniper
    :lol: Bertrillium-Zantitium :lol:

I guess I should have specified that I was looking for constructive responses...

That was about as constructive as you will get. They will not be good. I don't care how much Bertrillium-Zantitium they put in them. :lol:

If by constructive, you really mean positive, try an air$oft forum. :wink:

But in all seriousness. Look elsewhere, that scope won't be worth the cost of shipping. Check out mel's scope reviews. He has several scopes on the more affordable end.

And as for the quick detach thing, unless you are going to spend good money on a quality quick detach setup, I would probably not do it. Cheap ones won't hold the scope on well, so you'll never have it sighted in for long, and forget having it sighted in after taking it off and putting it back on. Plus, I have been shooting for a long time, and have never had a need to quickly remove a scope to switch back to iron sights. Usually best to just pick one or the other, and stick with it. Trying to have both just sounds a little "tacticool" to me.

NC Star = Chinese JUNK ....

Quote Originally Posted by mr-lama
    That was about as constructive as you will get. They will not be good. I don't care how much Bertrillium-Zantitium they put in them. :lol:

If by constructive, you really mean positive, try an air$oft forum. :wink:

But in all seriousness. Look elsewhere, that scope won't be worth the cost of shipping. Check out mel's scope reviews. He has several scopes on the more affordable end.

And as for the quick detach thing, unless you are going to spend good money on a quality quick detach setup, I would probably not do it. Cheap ones won't hold the scope on well, so you'll never have it sighted in for long, and forget having it sighted in after taking it off and putting it back on. Plus, I have been shooting for a long time, and have never had a need to quickly remove a scope to switch back to iron sights. Usually best to just pick one or the other, and stick with it. Trying to have both just sounds a little "tacticool" to me.
    Excellent post. This is what I needed from someone with experience. I reckon I'll just have to save up a while and get a few good scopes. The problem I see immediately is that the scopes that mel has reviewed are all typically not for a semi-auto or AR platform, but more for bolt guns.

I'll risk being berrated to give you an honest experienced opinion.

I ran an NC star 4X24X50 on both my Rem SPS and my AR for awhile. I will say that the scope never failed. It held zero and allowed me to shoot my rifles until I stashed enough cash to upgrade.

Here is the 1st group I shot with the NC Star equipped SPS , Chinese rings, and yes, that's steel case Russian doo-doo ammo as well.

The scope was cloudy at magnification above 12X, the turrets were very poor, and I never bothered with any adjustments, just hold over.

The illuminated reticle is rediculous, some type of stadia rangefinder deal. The cross hair is very thick, and pretty much blots out a 1 inch circle @ 100. I had no problem holding sub MOA out to 200 yds on either rifle with this sub standard equipment.

However, it did not break. I didn't try to break it either. I got what I payed for and I'm not sorry.

It sits in a drawer now. It served me well in a stop gap role.

Quote Originally Posted by crockett007
    It sits in a drawer now. It served me well in a stop gap role.
    I'll take it off your hands if you are interested...

Thank you for the review. That is what I need to hear as well. Experience in shooting AND experience from someone who has owned the product. I will be using it as a gap as well.

I have 4 ARs that need a mid-range optic and buying 4 for ~$600 seems better to me than buying 1 at $1400 or even 2 at $900.. at least in the interim. We aren't saving lives or taking them, we are just punching paper and knockin' down some plates.

Lemmie know if you wanna get something out of that 4X24X50, crockett.

You are better off with 4 Wotac's at $300 they have a life time warranty and Matt Wonders is a great guy to deal with. Super Snipers have a good reputation as well. There are plenty of scopes out there that are less money. Look at the used market. You could get a used Leupold for less than $300 and it would serve you better than the NC Star. I am not trying to rain on your parade but there are a lot of options that are better in my opinion that won't cost you an arm and a leg.

"It's better to want something you don't have than it is to have something you don't want."

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Best wishes,
    Shane
    What's in a name? That which we call a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet.
    - William Shakespeare

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads