1,000 Yard Scope

This is a discussion on 1,000 Yard Scope within the Optics forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I currently have a Leupold long range M3 Varix 3 3.5-10 X 40mm scope which has been updated with Mil dot reticles. Can someone give ...

1,000 Yard Scope

I currently have a Leupold long range M3 Varix 3 3.5-10 X 40mm scope which has been updated with Mil dot reticles.
    Can someone give me an idea of the best scopes for 1,000 yrd shooting listing the most expensive,to reasonably priced scopes.Im looking for power magnification,durability,clarity etc.This would be much appreciated.

Re: 1,000 Yard Scope

Schmidt & Bender 312 x 50 PM II - Any of the PM II's would be awesome.
    http://www.schmidtbender.com/scopes_pol ... sman.shtml
    Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x 42 - Way more affordable and still a good scope.
    http://www.bushnell.com/products/scopes ... 0/652164T/

For me there's definitely a point of diminishing returns, but as always buy what you can afford.

What are you going to be shooting at 1,000 yards? What your intended use has a lot to do with which scopes would be better suited for your particular task. The term "Best" is very subjective and there are too many variables again based on your wants and needs. If you were to ask a bench rest shooter which is "best" you would probably get a different answer than if you were to ask a police or military sniper and even they could have an honest disagreement on what was "Best", based on their specific requirements. Using your current as an example the bench rest shooter would have have an issue with the 1moa adjustments, the sniper who dials elevations changes may like how quickly he could dial from a 100 yard zero to a 1,000 yard zero. A police sniper may want something inbetween. That is just one example of how your intended use could influence what you thought was "best".

Personally, I never like the "which is best questions" as they often end up in a subjective "ford vs chevy" argument. This site and others are full of them. If you read the stickies under "FAQ" in the optics section, you will find a very good answer to your question, as well as many others that you may have.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5748

I have used a MK4 3.5-10X40 M3 MD on an SR25 when I was in Afghanistan out past 1,000 yards with out problems. Do I think its the "best"?, probably not, but its certainly "good enough" for my intended purposes. I like either the M1, M2 or M5 version of that scope better, because I prefer the smaller, more precise adjustments. I just sold a MK4 3.5-10X40 M1 MD and replaced it with a 8.5-25X50 M5 TMR. I had used the old scope out to 1,000 yards again with no problems. It took a little longer to dial in my dope, but no one was shooting back at me and I could be a little more precise. I bought the new scope because I found I rarely shot on less than 10X and I wanted to try a FFP scope. I think I will like the FFP but as I haven't had a chance to actually look through it, I can't say I will like it better than the old one, based on my needs. I like features from each scope, I like the low profile 40mm of the old scope, I like the TMR and Mil turrets of the new scope. I may end up changing back.

There are other scopes that certainly could be argued to be better for any given task, but for me what I bought was "best" given my application and budget. I can buy 2-3 MK4's for the cost of one S&B, that has a lot to figure in what I think is "best'. I don't think I would suddenly become a better shot by spending 2-3 times the money on a scope. My money would be better spend on "good" equipment that meets my needs and then spending the left over money on ammunition and training. You need to decide what you intend your scope to be used for before anyone can really offer an opinion of what will be "best" for you and even then it is still going to be subjective.
    What's in a name? That which we call a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet.
    - William Shakespeare

Good post Shane, there is only 'best' for specific circumstances and personal preferences.

Well done Shane.

I'll give a rundown of a few from best quality (more expensive) to lower quality (less expensive). As Shane said above application is the most important consideration when going after a scope. Many benchrest shooters use very thin dot or thin crosshair reticles instead of mildot or milhash reticles just to give an example of differences. There might be a "best scope, for the right application", but not just a "best scope". Anyway here are some of the finest to the OK scopes.

Schmidt & Bender
    US Optics
    Nightforce
    Hendsolt
    Ziess
    Leupold
    Sightron SIII
    Vortex Viper PST
    Bushnell- higher end 6500
    Falcon Menace (edited after first wrote)
    Nikon
    Millett

There might be a few I missed as it's early where I live, but I've got a good list for you to go with. All the scopes from Leupold up are going to start around $1,000 and work their way up to $3,500. Best advice I could give anyone is to "buy once, cry once"! Optics are where you do not want to skimp out on! Especially shooting at 1,000yds! At that range Nc Star's, Barska's, and Centerpoint scopes won't do the job.
    Customized .308 Rem700P / NF 5.5-22x50mm MLR
    .308 Savage 10FP / NF 5.5-22x50mm MLR
    .308 Savage BA / NF 5.5-22x56mm MLR
    .338 lapua mag. Dakota Arms T-76 Longbow / NF 5.5-22x56mm MLR

Shane thank you for the informative post.Really all I would like the scope and rifle to do would be minute of man to a 1,000,most of my shooting would be at 200 to 6oo at a range with no one shooting at me.Thanks again for spending the time to lay it out for me.

In that case mate, maybe the Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x42 would be best for you. Good price and solid scope. You do what you require.
    Shaun aka "Quick"
    Two Rocks, Western Australia

Remington 700 "Custom Marksman" .308 Win
    Sportco M44 7.62x51mm NATO
    Anschutz 1416D HB .22LR
    CZ 452 Deluxe .22LR
    1944 VKT M39 7.62x54R
    1920 Lithgow SMLE No 1 MK III* .303 British
    S&W M&P 9mm

Shane covered it well, when asked about optics my stock response ...

The application of the rifle will choose the optics for you.

Remember in optics you REALLY do get what you pay for ... There is no mystical $500 S&B clone thats just as good.

Ads