Millett vs. Nikon

This is a discussion on Millett vs. Nikon within the Optics forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Hi all, So I'm in a debate with myself about whether to get the Millett TRS-1 4-16x50 and the Nikon Prostaff 4-12x40. I am going ...

Millett vs. Nikon

Hi all, So I'm in a debate with myself about whether to get the Millett TRS-1 4-16x50 and the Nikon Prostaff 4-12x40. I am going to be getting the EGW 0 MOA base and Burris Zee Rings (Medium). I plan on hunting within 300 yards, however I am wanting to do the occasional long range shooting as well. The good thing I heard about the TRS is that I won't need the 20 MOA base because of the amount of internal adjustments it has (for my 100 yard Zero). I have also heard mixed reviews for the TRS, but the Prostaff I have only heard great things about. Does anybody have any insight or experience with these two or have any suggestions?
    My Best,
    Matt

Re: Millett vs. Nikon

Welcome to Sniper Central Matt!

The TRS-1 from Millett is a good solid scope, then again so is the Nikon. The Nikon may have the slightest edge in clarity between the 2, but it is VERY slight! The real advantage the Millett has over the Nikon is you can get the TRS-1 with .1mil clicks. To me this is the only advantage the Millett has over the Nikon, but is very important in my opinion!
    I owned a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x's that I loved, used to 1,000yds, and still have on my lady's .223. The only thing I didn't like was that the reticle didn't match the turrets. I now have Nigtforce scopes on all my rifles and having the reticle match the turrets makes follow up shots MUCH easier.
    If you get the TRS-1, I would get the mil-mil version. SWFA has them for $299.95.
    Either scope is good but I have to give the edge to the Millett TRS-1 mil/mil

Hope this helps you out.
    Customized .308 Rem700P / NF 5.5-22x50mm MLR
    .308 Savage 10FP / NF 5.5-22x50mm MLR
    .308 Savage BA / NF 5.5-22x56mm MLR
    .338 lapua mag. Dakota Arms T-76 Longbow / NF 5.5-22x56mm MLR

Thankyou for the info! What do you think about the Vortex Viper 4-12x40?

I've only looked through the 4-16x50mm Viper PST and I did like it very much. The only other Vortex I've looked through and fiddled with was the Razor HD. It was very nice. The only bad thing about it was the eye relief, the Razor that is. Cheek weld was important or you could lose the picture.
    Customized .308 Rem700P / NF 5.5-22x50mm MLR
    .308 Savage 10FP / NF 5.5-22x50mm MLR
    .308 Savage BA / NF 5.5-22x56mm MLR
    .338 lapua mag. Dakota Arms T-76 Longbow / NF 5.5-22x56mm MLR

Actually, I recommend the Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x40 or if You have a plan to varminting 6-18x40 Mil-Dot. I own the last one and it is a great riflescope for 309 $.

ML6

I have never owned a nikon scope but I recently just purchased the TRS-1 with .1 mil clicks for my new Rem .308. This is my first tactical scope but I like the overall feel of everything considering the 329 I paid for it. I can see my bullet holes at 100yds and shooting out to 600 yds offered crystal clear image quality and eye relief and parallax does not bother me. I was skeptical at first but a few of my buddies at the range with more expensive scopes that looked through it were extremely impressed. The scope holds it's zero as well. My rifle zero is consistently 1/2 MOA even after dialing in new dopes it returned to the correct zero. It also has etched glass, metal internals and supposedly a good lifetime warranty. I was told the best warranty is one you never have to use but I do not have the money to spend on anything like that, especially with the prospect of no paychecks in the near future. I'm just shooting deer, deer, pigs, and varmints with it... FWIW... Good shooting

-Mike

If you've narrowed you choice between the Nikon ProStaff and the Millett Tactical, for the price, quality and features offered by the Millet scope, it's tough to beat. Unless you wanted to spend way more in the Nikon Monarch series, I think you will be better with the Millett here.

George P.

Ads